GH1 firmware research volunteers required

Hey Tester13, did you note this? Do you think there's any chance for mods?
Thanks for the great work!
Sami

And did you noticed my request for developers to make necessary tools?
Especially one to view and find all icons and images.
Without tools it'll be big waste of time.

Could an ".ini" file be provided for ptool so that when you run it, the last use setup appears? That might make it easier to tweak things from the last used settings. (Sorry if this is already provided for in some way but I've not seen it).

hi tester13

re tools for finding images in firmware

I used to program c on amigas in the 80s and have used c on AVR microcontrollers more recently, but for desktop stuff I've been using java for a long time - I imagine it should be possible to use java? I guess the only issue might be byte ordering (ie big endian versus little endian)

so . . . this tool would work it's way through the firmware looking for images
what format would the images be in?
it should be easy to search for a header for a gif, bmp or whatever

otherwise if they were just raw bitmaps you'd need to approach it differently

thanks for all the great work you and everyone else is doing
it's very exciting watching this all unfold

gonks

so . . . this tool would work it's way through the firmware looking for images
what format would the images be in?
otherwise if they were just raw bitmaps you'd need to approach it differently

Citation from first page - First tool.
Small utility with good interface with ability to view firmware image and find icons and other images inside (visually showing images and offsets).

So, we need interface, not batch only utility.
As for usable instruments - I suggest to find free Turbo C++.
Or use Visual C++ Express if you are better in it.
Java is generally not good, as we need very fast redraws of large canvas areas.
If you are really serious (and won't be dropping development after few days) send me PM for all interface details and requirements.

Fantastic Work. It's incredible that such a leap forward can be acheived by one individual. Not only will it force panasonic to make the GH2 a much better camera than they probably wanted too, but it will hopefully give canon and nikon a kick up the backside too.

Feels like the revolution has finally begun. :laugh:

Panasonic should see this effort as a very positive thing. Now they don't have to rush the release of the GH2 and have a terrible roll out like the GH1, and they should see GH1 sales go up significantly until then.

Perhaps Philip Bloom has some contacts at Panasonic that might support Tester13 with what he needs to make things even better?

...or maybe they should make him a job offer. :)

...or maybe they should make him a job offer. :)

I'm completely blown away with what Tester has achieved here, and in such a short amount of time. His skills as a hacker/programmer are formidable!

That being said, though, surely Panasonic has employees who could've done similar things, right? I don't think it's as much a question of there being one brilliant hacker who made the camera do things its creators had no idea it was capable of. I think it's a case of Panasonic simply hobbling the camera for one reason or another, maybe something as benign as wanting to maximize compatibility with consumer hardware devices, or allow the use of slow SD cards. Who knows...

I guess what I'm saying is I prefer having someone as talented as Tester13 on the outside of Panasonic, not the inside, because here he only has to answer to himself, not make some kind of distinction between "consumer," "prosumer," "professional," "broadcast," etc. It's as simple as the hardware being capable of so much more than it was being asked, and someone who was able to tap into that power.

Guys, let's stop this Panasonic conspiracy thing, ok?
I really hate this Andrew and some others bullshi*.

Many things are not suitable for average Joe, some others require good card, etc.

Plus many do not understand how large development project is implemented.
You can have sensor designer who knows that sensor is capable of, he provides some info required to software developer, he, in turn adjust small library to predefined modes, he do not know anything else. Same for AVCHD and MJPEG encoders. Of course LSI developers made some estimates and they perfectly know some boundaries on low level. But library designer make it according to provided specifications and make testing only at certain intervals. So, in reality you have bunch of very expirienced people who do not know whole picture and even do not have authority to tell about it and change something.

All they need is early testing and real feedback, constant feedback and adjustments.
They have all else. Hope something with enought authority will read this.

Last edited:
Note to testers

I need to know TV modes (FullHD TV connected via HDMI to camera) while playing photos with various aspect ratios and videos at 50fps, 60fps, 50/60i containers, 24/25p native.
Please check your HDMI Mode menu setting before testing (must be AUTO).

Tester I want to personally thankyou for what you have done for the gh1 community I will donate when I get next wage.
Do you think 24p will be possible in mjpeg? Will there be a way to stop the write error issue with some kind of bitrate limiter?
Many thanks! Sorry to bother you!

Tester I want to personally thankyou for what you have done for the gh1 community I will donate when I get next wage.
Do you think 24p will be possible in mjpeg? Will there be a way to stop the write error issue with some kind of bitrate limiter?

24p may be, as I already said, we must understand how sensor setup work and how RAW buffer work. It can be long work.
We can change mode to 1920p24, but all other settings must be also adjusted.
As fo write error issue - just use ptoper settings. Camera can't go back in time, reshoot footage in buffer using other settings and go further. We'll better understand encoders with time, and adjustment values can be little easear to set.

Note to testers

I need to know TV modes (FullHD TV connected via HDMI to camera) while playing photos with various aspect ratios and videos at 50fps, 60fps, 50/60i containers, 24/25p native.
Please check your HDMI Mode menu setting before testing (must be AUTO).

WHOA!! Is HDMI monitoring during recording coming next? I am not getting my hopes up yet, but even the thought of it is exciting.

Guys, all details about MJPEG and AVCHD settings, discussions go to their separate threads, ok?
I'll delete all messages with such detail each few hours.

will you replace the AVCHD options "H" and "L" to 1080p24 or 720p50/60 to achieve global setting without switching between NTSC and PAL. and so in motion JPEG option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been doing a lot of tests with AVCHD and I'm loving it. I don't know if this has been asked before, but is there a reason that all of my clips with the 24pN patch are reading as 23.971 frames per second?
Typically it should 23.976. Is there something strange with the information on the video file and it actually IS right frame rate? Or is the frame rate actually off by that little bit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been doing a lot of tests with AVCHD and I'm loving it. I don't know if this has been asked before, but is there a reason that all of my clips with the 24pN patch are reading as 23.971 frames per second?
Typically it should 23.976. Is there something strange with the information on the video file and it actually IS right frame rate? Or is the frame rate actually off by that little bit?

It is ok :)

Notice.

I made major cleanup.
If your message gets deleted it can be for few reasons only: emotional message without information, general questions, unfounded complaint, offtopic.

Thanks tester13 for your research and alternative firmware engineering.
I tried the 'winebottler' approach on my Mac, and all seemed to work OK.
The checklist ptool3 opened up and I selected the changes that I wanted.
I created a new firmware file called GH1__133.bin and installed to my GH1.
I restarted camera but can't see any new settings in Menu.
But I put in a battery from a 3rd party manufacturer that was previously not accepted.
It now works fine :) Version number in menu still shows as Body: V1.3, should I change revised firmware to GH1__140.bin ?
Any additional advice much appreciated.

Thanks tester13 for your research and alternative firmware engineering.
I tried the 'winebottler' approach on my Mac, and all seemed to work OK.
... Body: V1.3, should I change revised firmware to GH1__140.bin ?
Any additional advice much appreciated.

Please read first post here, and sticky FAQ thread.
generally we don't have any menu yet and your version is ok.

Back