GH1 firmware research volunteers required

Thanks for that. I'm ordering a proper Class 10 card and will try it when it arrives.Okay, this might explain it all then.

But if you're using straight 720p at a very high bitrate, then yeah, that's well worth continuing to pursue.

The other drawback is that we're still stuck on 30p and not 24, as far as I know. So from where I'm sitting, the score is:
Size: AVCHD = 1080, MJPG = 720
Frame rate: AVCHD = 24, MJPG = 30

So even with the better bit buffer, to me, 1080/24p beats 720/30p.

The 720P is the mode I have been testing all this time. That bit rate makes gorgeous 720P files. That also makes a nice upscale too and file to work with in post..

The stills here and the blowups came from the 720P mode with the quality settings posted.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=212609

As for frame rate. 24fps would be a nice option, however in my opinion I just feel that 30fps is better than 24fps. 24fps is simply a theatrical distribution frame rate. On home media it doesn't matter anywhere near as the content does. Theaters are going more digital day by day thanks to the gimmicky 3d demands; and becoming less important the delivered frame rate.. I worked with the Iwerks system as well showscan, so I'm partial to higher temporal rate capture. I loved to shoot 30fps film. At 60FPS, it looked like super duper hire res soap opera , so that is a not great for drama's, unless it's filmed plays on stage..

If the 1080 mode can be made to sustain 80mbits. Now that could be cool, if it records a better image.

Pappas

Last edited:
Okay, I just loaded up PTool using the "D" settings, but I modified the buffer to be 60, so it's as big as the maximum bitrate.

Hi Barry, How did you manage to change the buffer to 60? The only settings I have in PTool v3.35 or v3.36 for "Video buffer" are:

• 21.000.000 25.000.000 28.000.000 33.500.000 40.000.000 50.000.000 84.000.000
As far as I can tell, I can't directly input a number either but am limited to only those choices.

Last edited:
PTool 3.36 Released
Native 24p/25p patch modified to prevent freezing on playback.
Simplified video bitrate patch added.

I made only few tests and on my footage camera do not freeze now.

Note to testers about second patch.
1) Please, try to compare this patch with more complete video bitrate patch.
2) I also want you to try all bitrate patches without using video buffer patch at all.

WOW!! 24p playback on CAM!!!! tester 13 is hero!! :) Thank you for everything!

EDIT: There is a old text description on the "native 24p patch" ... delete "Camera freezes during playback ........" ;-)
tester13 : look at screenshot at first post. Don't see it, right?

EDIT2: Oups .. sorry .. my bad..

Last edited:
Confirmed AVCHD 24P Playback works with jobless's D settings:

Native 24P/25P
Video Buffer: 50.000.000
Video Bitrate Adjustment: 50000000
Video Bitrate Adjustment Simplified: 50000000 <--- use either normal or simplified! edited by tester13.
Overall Bitrate Adjustment: 56000000
Limiting Bitrate Adjustment: 60000000

Last edited by a moderator:
Got G1 body today :)
Despite that we already own GF1, it is still stuck in USA.

I really do not understand Panasonic.
How they managed to lost market to Canon in Japan?

I suggest them to make m4/3 to Canon adapter with working AF and OS :) and sell it for like $50. Same for Nikon and Sony lenses with build in motors.
It is not that hard as they think. And it brings you guys who afraid to switch.

Other option is to make AF adapter for manual lenses without AF (Pentax have such famous teelconverter thing).

Got G1 body today :)
Despite that we already own GF1, it is still stuck in USA.

I really do not understand Panasonic.
How they managed to lost market to Canon in Japan?

I suggest them to make m4/3 to Canon adapter with working AF and OS :) and sell it for like $50. Same for Nikon and Sony lenses with build in motors.
It is not that hard as they think. And it brings you guys who afraid to switch.

Other option is to make AF adapter for manual lenses without AF (Pentax have such famous teelconverter thing).

I've been hoping for this for ALL lens manufacturers. There's no reason not to other than brand loyalty.

That'd be awesome to be able to use APS-C only third party glass, as wel. Sigma 30/1.4 comes to mind.

Hey,

Is it possible to create new picture profile settings allowing further tweaks on them? Mainly Im interested in lowering contrast and saturation as the -2 settings seem to not be enough and maybe this would give us a little bit more latitude.

Sami

Hey Tester13, did you note this? Do you think there's any chance for mods?

Thanks for the great work!

Sami

I've been hoping for this for ALL lens manufacturers. There's no reason not to other than brand loyalty.
That'd be awesome to be able to use APS-C only third party glass, as wel. Sigma 30/1.4 comes to mind.

Yes, most glass is either Canon or Nikon compatible, but old Minolta glass is very good, as well as some Pentax glass.
If you really want it we need direct communication with camera division, with developers. As Barry noted such things happens in other divisions.
Writing petitions is pointless most of the time.
Direct feedback is the way to go.

Kholi, AFAIK 30 1.4 43'S fit with adapter

Kholi, AFAIK 30 1.4 43'S fit with adapter

works on the m43's Olympus cams with af, eg EPL1-2, there is no reason why it shouldnt work on GH1 other than Panasonic havent added the f/w support. Also, I think it may be the case that they have added the legacy 43 glass support with af for the G2, will check it out for you. If they do a fw update to the G2 then tester13 may be able to see whats been done?

works on the m43's Olympus cams with af, eg EPL1-2, there is no reason why it shouldnt work on GH1 other than Panasonic havent added the f/w support. Also, I think it may be the case that they have added the legacy 43 glass support with af for the G2, will check it out for you. If they do a fw update to the G2 then tester13 may be able to see whats been done?

Are you saying that the Olympus cams can use Nikon and Canon glass? Or something else?

No, originally there was a 43's mount

No, originally there was a 43's mount

Are you saying that the Olympus cams can use Nikon and Canon glass? Or something else?

This was the original Olympus mount and then I think Panasonic joined, hence we got the 14-50 leica 2.8-3.5, 25 1.4 etc all for 43's fit. There is a whole range of 43 lenses, incl. Sigma lenses, see list in compatability chart. Then when they release micro43, ie G1 then the EPL1 we got a new range of micro43 lenses and an adapter for legacy 43 glass. All of the Olympus cameras support legacy glass, but only a limited selection on the GH1 and GF1 and G1. Now, Pana has released the G2, avc lite but only 720p but guess what, they've added lots of legacy lense glass compatability. Not all the af functions work but for still single af is better than nothing and single af works in video too, to get you in the "zone". One of the lenses is the 30mm f1.4 you mentioned for 43's mount, if you add the 43's to micro 43's adapter you can use the Sigma now, but no af, but as I say the new G2 has AF!

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g2_g10.html
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g1.html

Back