FS7: Fx9 2.10 firmware update...

thirdyearff

Can anyone explain to me the "White Balance" improvement? I've hunted around and have found no explanation. The release notes say the following...

The White Balance adjustment in sunlight has been made easier, and can also be adjusted to a more natural color.

I didn't realize it was difficult and what further adjustments can be made?

I don't know, but a WB FW is usually a tint correction or a Kelvin adjustment (i.e. sometimes 5600K might look too cool so they will fix it...similar to how color science is updated in some cameras), or the addition of more controls to tweak it (like a tint slider).

At least that's what the second part of that sentence sounds like but not sure about the first...maybe larger text on the screen?

Did you dive into it and see any differences? Maybe a slightly updated GUI for executing those tasks?

I poked around in the menus but didn't notice anything different and/or additions. It would be helpful from Sony's end... "here was the issue, here's how we addressed that issue and now here are your options" I haven't noticed any "unnatural" color renditions in the 54 to 56K range, nor did i find it difficult to change so i'm not going to worry about it to much...just curious. However, i may reach out to the local Sony rep and see what he has to say.

This is a high-end cinema camera so what I described above is how they do it in these types of systems.

It's part of generational color engineering to improve (in their opinions) the overall look of the camera (or how the image behaves in post during transformations).

Other companies may provide names for these kind of changes (for a larger amount of work) like Generation 1/2/3/4/5, or IPP1/2 (Image Processing Pipeline).

Because this seems to be WB only, they were probably subtle changes.

I seem to recall it had something to do with correcting the green/magenta balance in datylight but I'm not sure.

I seem to recall it had something to do with correcting the green/magenta balance in datylight but I'm not sure.

Yeah it got rid of the overly green bias in daylight preset .. doing an actual auto WB it was fine , but the preset was a bit too green , seems that has been tweaked after a lot of complaints ..

When the FS7 came out the WB button was fine and the preset at Tungstun was fine but then it steadily got more and more off as you went to Daylight. They eventually fixed that so I imagine it was a similar issue they were just tweaking in the FX9. I think that's why many of us thought the S709 LUT looked green - it was really the preset.

When the FS7 came out the WB button was fine and the preset at Tungstun was fine but then it steadily got more and more off as you went to Daylight. They eventually fixed that so I imagine it was a similar issue they were just tweaking in the FX9. I think that's why many of us thought the S709 LUT looked green - it was really the preset.

s709 was a LUT designed for the Venice, Fx9 different sensor , the preset was green for anything , but s709 should be less green than before hopefully :)

Can anyone explain to me the "White Balance" improvement? I've hunted around and have found no explanation. The release notes say the following...

The White Balance adjustment in sunlight has been made easier, and can also be adjusted to a more natural color.

I didn't realize it was difficult and what further adjustments can be made?

All explained with an example on Alister's Blog. About halfway down the page. "Important Firmware Update For The FX9"

Chris Young

http://www.xdcam-user.com/alisters-blog/

Back