FS700 12 years later..

Do you still find the form factor OK? I remember I found the (heavy) O7Q difficult to balance on the FS700 (nova arm). But I got some really good 4K slowmo footage.

Completely agree, the images out of the 700/7Q combo were really nice but as run & gun setup...not ideal. I dealt w/ it for a number of years but eventually I added an Fs7 as an A cam but still preferred the image out of the combo, go figure. But now i have both an Fx6 & 9 and if i need a third its the Fs7 so unfortunately the 700 is the odd man out and now just sits in the case and the 7Q is now just a full time field monitor.

Completely agree, the images out of the 700/7Q combo were really nice but as run & gun setup...not ideal. I dealt w/ it for a number of years but eventually I added an Fs7 as an A cam but still preferred the image out of the combo, go figure. But now i have both an Fx6 & 9 and if i need a third its the Fs7 so unfortunately the 700 is the odd man out and now just sits in the case and the 7Q is now just a full time field monitor.

Like the FS700, the O7Q is an amazing piece of gear, though. I've used it multiple times in self-defense (ostensibly).

cc Mitch Gross

I ended up selling mine at the end of 2022 and replaced it with an FX3 and Ninja V+. Last fall I sold the FX3 and bought a Digital Bolex and Alexa Classic. Love the look of those and having footage that sets me apart from everyone else in my area! Funnily enough the Alexa is a beast weight-wise, but ergonomically easier to handle than the FS700 and Odyssey combo was!

Haha yea I guess im old school run and gun. I have the infinity arm ( which i love ) which handles heavy monitors no prob. Once I locked the 7Q down in a nice side position I was able to move around with it on tripod over the shoulder then quickly balance and capture the moment. Popping off tripod time to time with one hand on lens one on the side grip with the back of the cam pressed on my body. Def better and smaller set ups out there.. but man I picked this up for around $1000 I had the 7Q already made it a nice little set up I don't mind going out in the snow / light rain letting it take a beating cause its on the cheap. Taking the sony raw cinema DNG files into linear colorspace then into arri log made grading amazing. Sony and Arri I think are the only brands that could make a camera last 12 years plus and still look good to current standards...

I ended up selling mine at the end of 2022 and replaced it with an FX3 and Ninja V+. Last fall I sold the FX3 and bought a Digital Bolex and Alexa Classic. Love the look of those and having footage that sets me apart from everyone else in my area! Funnily enough the Alexa is a beast weight-wise, but ergonomically easier to handle than the FS700 and Odyssey combo was!

That sounds like an epic set up. I have always been super interested in the Digital Bolex.. Now you got me thinking haha...

That sounds like an epic set up. I have always been super interested in the Digital Bolex.. Now you got me thinking haha...

They go up for sale fairly often in the Facebook Digital Bolex User group! That's where I was able to get a good price on mine. The creator Joe is also active in that group to answer any questions and sometimes sells upgraded ones. I have yet to see another digital camera that produces such film-like images. Kodak CCD global shutter sensor, it's amazing.

They go up for sale fairly often in the Facebook Digital Bolex User group! That's where I was able to get a good price on mine. The creator Joe is also active in that group to answer any questions and sometimes sells upgraded ones. I have yet to see another digital camera that produces such film-like images. Kodak CCD global shutter sensor, it's amazing.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check that out.

I've actually come back to the FS700 multiple times. Throughout the years I've been able to snag a camera package here and there, then would sell it off, only to find another package for a deal I can't pass up. I actually just recently picked up another FS700 and 7Q bundle, and oddly enough it feels like I've 'returned home' - For most cases, this camera get's the job done. Sure you have to work around its quirks, but.. paired with the 7Q? It rivals most footage found online from the big boys.

Hell, oddly enough to have some fun, I took some screen grabs from my 7Q and posted in the Red Komodo users group on FB - Sure enough they all loved the image :) - Couldn't help myself.

I do miss having a cage, though. Any clue where I can find a used one for a good deal? Is there still a user group anywhere on FB?

I do miss having a cage, though. Any clue where I can find a used one for a good deal? Is there still a user group anywhere on FB?

You might have luck piecing a custom one together with parts from Smallrig and others, they're really covering a lot of bases with all their various parts and pieces approach. Other than that it may just be an eBay search to find a reasonably priced cage at this point.

I have fond memories of my FS700 and sometimes get tempted to get another one. Pretty cheap these days. I ran a Movcam cage on mine and found it to be a very practical addition, making the camera much easier to use in the field with monitors et. A quick look finds one in Adorma's used dept. Realistically, how many people would be looking for one of these cages for a 12-year old camera. Make them a crazy offer. You just don't know your luck in the big city.

Chris Young

Adorama used cage

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256253499241

My rig 12 years back when fitted out with a b4 lens.

FS700 Movcam rig (small).jpg

Back