does Tokina 11-16 work on the 5D3?

what emanuel said; what I don't know yet is how good it will be in the corners, because I haven't found any tests, just some random shots without reference to another lens for comparison; I'll test it on a fullframe camera when I get it (it's for stills, so I'm still deciding between 5D3 and D800)

This was taken at 16mm, F/2.8. I don't think its really usable. Notice the blurry edges on the side.

T30C0345-2_resize.jpg

Last edited:
That was at 16mm. At 15mm and below there are very noticeable vignettes. Stopping it down to F/5.8~F/8 does help with the blurry edges, but will not remove them totally.

That was at 16mm. At 15mm and below there are very noticeable vignettes. Stopping it down to F/5.8~F/8 does help with the blurry edges, but will not remove them totally.

Tokina has released the second generation of 11-16mm lens, they claim that edge sharpness and CA were greatly improved. Cost almost twice as much as the first gen, what the...

Last edited:
when used with the intended cameras (APS-C), the first version is absolutely amazing, I don't know what they may have changed, if it's not just the price tag :evil:

Who is talking about stills here? The Tokina is usable at 16mm. Just think of it as a prime.
If you don't like what you see, then Canon has a very nice 14mm L prime lens they would be glad to sell you.

Ah, why didn't I think of that!
To follow up on this, I just tested the Tokina again in video mode. The blurred edges are definitely less noticeable than the stills, but still there. So yeah, I suppose its 'usable' at 16mm.
At 15mm, I'm already seeing unusable corner vignettes. The very tip of the corner turns black. its not pretty.
It might be just my copy of the lens, of course.

Personally I'm keeping my Tokina to use with my 7D. Its a fantastic lens on that camera.

Tokina has released the second generation of 11-16mm lens, they claim that edge sharpness and CA were greatly improved. Cost almost twice as much as the first gen, what the...

For twice the price that's approaching the territory of a Canon 16-35 2.8L which would be a better option for FF.

Back