AndreeOnline
Veteran
If the test matches highlights, we've got something constant.
To each, their own. Depending on what you are looking for, you can attack the test for various angles.
I prefer looking at it from a "light meter" perspective: determine the EV for the scene and then use that same EV for both picture profiles. You can over or under expose as you like, but you'll get the performance of the picture profiles relative to the same unbiased 'norm'.
You can of course throw that line of thinking out the window and just say: "I will expose each profile optimally, as if I was actually shooting the scene, regardless if I end up with wildly different camera settings". And I'm not saying that is wrong. It's kind of maximising performance, which we all try to do when actually shooting. I just don't prefer it for a strict test when trying to compare A to A.
-----
If I remember correctly, Canon Log pulls the exposure with 1[SUP]2/3[/SUP] stops. You'd think it would be maybe two stops (ISO400), but I remember it being slight less when checking scopes. So you would then have to shoot the EOS HD profile at ISO125 to get the same white clip point, assuming you use ISO400 for Canon Log. And this is in turn assuming EOS HD doesn't pull down the white clip to less than max in the picture profile editor (I haven't used EOS HD).