Avid on only one machine?

Loki

So.. I install Avid Xpress Pro 4.6 on my mac.. open it once.

I can't get access to a hard drive under OS X that a friend gave me, has errors and can't repair with Disk Utility. So i go to the iMac we have downstairs, the HD opens under XP just fine.

I install my Avid on that comp under XP, take my USB dongle from the mac and plug it in to the iMac. Avid works.

I want to open Avid on the Mac to check something, and it takes forever to open. And then has a dialog pop saying I am not authorized to run Avid on this computer.

So am I to understand, that even with the dongle plugged into my computer, I can still only run Avid on 1 comp..... cause..and I am just throwing this out there.. if that is the case... then what is the point of the dongle...

I actually dispise this program the more I have to deal with it.

Anyone have this problem? This seems like a trivial thing. I would think that by plugging in the dongle to the system that has a copy of Xpress Pro on it, it would recognize that yes, indeed I do have a legal copy.

call me crazy...

As long as the dongle moves with you, you can install and use the software on any number of macines.

Are these two macs on the same version of OS X and of Xpress Pro?

I had Avid Installed on the Windows XP Partition of the Core Duo iMac we have. Works Fine.

As well, I had Avid installed on my PowerMac G4 , running 10.4.7.

From my various reading on the knowledge base I should be able to go back and forth between the two.

Which is leading me to believe that there is actually a problem with the USB connection on my G4.

When I don't have the dongle plugged in, the Avid will prompt me for it on the mac. When it is plugged in, Avid just hangs, and won't open properly. Same goes for the Dongle Update / Dumper program utilities, so perhaps this isn't the fault of the program after all.

which blows.

I am just confused..

Runs fine under Windows XP.. but Avid won't recognize that the dongle is plugged in on my mac...

aggravating. I can see the device plugged in under my USB device listings... yet both the "dongle" utility apps refuse to acknowledge its existance. And just hang until I unplug the dongle.

I tried installing it on the iMac under OSX, running under rosetta... but it wouldn't recognize the Dongle either... although, the programs didn't crash.. they just didn't run.

Avid won't run on an Intel mac. Period. Rosetta won't help you here.

The G4 on the other hand is a mystery unless you're correct about the USB connection, which is possible.

As Loki stated it seems Avid is running fine under Windows XP on the iMac. I've heard that the reason the iMac will run Avid is the graphics card that the iMac uses.

I believe the reason you are having trouble running the Avid application on the G4 is that the dongle is set to run on either the mac OR the Windows system, but not both. You have it configured to run under Windows, so it won't run on the Mac.

greenheron said:
I believe the reason you are having trouble running the Avid application on the G4 is that the dongle is set to run on either the mac OR the Windows system, but not both. You have it configured to run under Windows, so it won't run on the Mac.

As long as he's on the most current version of Avid (and thus has the dongle set up to run that most current version) then he can jump from Mac to PC as much as he wants.

If, for example, then PC version is the newest, and the Mac version is 4.6.x, then you're right, the dongle will no longer work for the Mac side.

If you are running OSX 10.4.7 you must have Avid XP version 5.5.2 or later.
I think this is your problem on the G4.

Back