5DMK3 + Magic Lantern

Simon Shasha

Just wondering, has there been any word or info about the Magic Lantern crew working on a 5DMK3 hack?

Given that it shares the same dual Digic5 processors as the 1D 4K, it'd be interesting to see just what kinds of magic they can bring forth from it...

Just wondering, has there been any word or info about the Magic Lantern crew working on a 5DMK3 hack?

Given that it shares the same dual Digic5 processors as the 1D 4K, it'd be interesting to see just what kinds of magic they can bring forth from it...

Firstly I need to correct you, 5D3 has only ONE processor, it's called DIGIC 5+, 1D X and 1D C has dual DIGIC 5+ AND a DIGIC 4 for auto focus (3 processors in total).

Magic Lantern team is currently waiting for Canon's first firmware update.

Is there a donation link yet for the 5D3? Shoot, we should raise enough money for A1ex and buy one for Vitality if he's interested. It's be like a hacker dream team. :)

I'm torn between the 5D3 or the Sony video cameras. BUT, I'd still like to donate to Magic Lantern 5D3 even if I get the Sony, just in the spirit of it all.

I feel like an un-leashed 5D3 could be the best video camera yet because of how powerful Digic 5 is.

I asked a1ex when the "get a 5D3 for the ML people" donation campaign would start, and was told to wait and see: they need to see the first firmware update to check if getting ML on the 5D3 will be easy or not

Granted the upcoming 1D C 4K, a donation towards the 1D X would be quite more useful instead...

Firstly I need to correct you, 5D3 has only ONE processor, it's called DIGIC 5+, 1D X and 1D C has dual DIGIC 5+ AND a DIGIC 4 for auto focus (3 processors in total).

Magic Lantern team is currently waiting for Canon's first firmware update.

The thing is, I don't think many people are going to buy the 1DX for video. A lot of video people will probably have the 5D3. I read on Canonrumors that a firmware should be coming soon for the 5D3. Canon rumor guy wrote: "I also asked about firmware, and was told there was new firmware on the way, but it could have been delayed while Canon investigates the top LCD AE issue."

The thing is, I don't think many people are going to buy the 1DX for video. A lot of video people will probably have the 5D3. I read on Canonrumors that a firmware should be coming soon for the 5D3. Canon rumor guy wrote: "I also asked about firmware, and was told there was new firmware on the way, but it could have been delayed while Canon investigates the top LCD AE issue."
The point is you'll never have the same powerful double/triple processing in order to go a step ahead. 5DIII is nothing compared with the potential of the sister. 4K@1D C proves it. Getting 4K for less than half the price that would be 'the' hack indeed. Other than that, it is a way less interesting, quite frankly. Much less interesting to be honest.

my guess is that the 1DX will be protected like the 7D, but the 5D3 will get ML; I'm not sure it will get improvements in the codec, but I sure like my histogram, waveform, cropmarks, zebras, zoom-in for focus, etc; also, with ML on the 5D3 I may be able to fight the in-camera image processing to get more DR crammed into that codec, to get the 5D3 closer to the D800 in this respect

The point is you'll never have the same powerful double/triple processing in order to go a step ahead. 5DIII is nothing compared with the potential of the sister. 4K@1D C proves it. Getting 4K for less than half the price that would be 'the' hack indeed. Other than that, it is a way less interesting, quite frankly. Much less interesting to be honest.

Sorry but it's impossible, although 1D X and 1D C look the same and have almost identical hardware specifications. Internally they are completely DIFFERENT, 1D C has special sensor block design and the layout of processors/circuits are changed, all of these changes are intended for 4K capture, the immense heat and data flow.

Theoratically 1D X is indeed capable of 4K video but considering other factors mentioned above, it's practically impossible.

Let's put our hope on 5D3, where the story truely begins :)

^ are you sure of that? where does this info come from?

I thought we had no idea about that yet, so it could not be confirmed or denied whether canon is charging $8K for a firmware update or there's something more in the 1DC

^ are you sure of that? where does this info come from?

I thought we had no idea about that yet, so it could not be confirmed or denied whether canon is charging $8K for a firmware update or there's something more in the 1DC

Yes I'm sure, a friend in japan confirmed this, and it was also mentioned by a Canon Rep in NAB 2012. 1D X and 1D C differ vastly in hardware design.

Back