Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Needed: Sony PXW-X70 LCD Record Counter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Help Needed: Sony PXW-X70 LCD Record Counter


    Hi, I must have pushed something in my menu somewhere.... My LCD video record time counter looks like the following; I can't find how to default it back to a normal counter. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks

    X70 LCD.jpg

    #2
    See if page 60 in the manual helps:

    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/87...0.html?page=60

    Comment


      #3
      Having owned an X70 and later a Z90 I seem to recall there is no CTRL (Control Track) ability if that's what you are alluding to. The only selections are Time Code and User Bits. As NorBro points out you can set the TC counter to 0:0:0.0 either through the Time Code menu or via the remote control.

      Chris Young
      Last edited by cyvideo; 11-04-2021, 12:50 AM.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks goes out to both of you. Yes, it's the time code counter in the upper right corner of the LCD. I went into the menu and reset it to 00:00:00:00. I never noticed this being a continous counter and that long of one. I always thought that the counter reset itself with each clip when you stop recording automatically. I haven't used the X70 for quite a while and was going through the menu items. After exiting out of the menu, I noticed it thinking that I accidentally tapped on something. Is there another setting for it to rest itself? Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate your help. Ray

        Comment


          #5
          Does anyone else use the camera? That number would imply the camera has recorded for 16+ hours or someone manually changed the numbers.

          It's possible that there is a button on the camera that cycles through how timecode is displayed.

          Regardless, you basically want to find the setting that resets timecode to 0 for each new clip recording, if possible. Also, make sure the camera doesn't have some special setting engaged such as producing one file even though you're starting and stopping.

          If I had the camera in front of me, I could quickly check...maybe someone with it can guide you.

          I would try different settings while you troubleshoot and see what happens. (There are only a handful of options in the timecode menu.)

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by NorBro View Post
            Regardless, you basically want to find the setting that resets timecode to 0 for each new clip recording, )
            Not exactly right. You wouldn't want the actual timecode value to start over again at 0:00 for every new clip, and I don't believe there is any camera that can do that. I think what you are referring to is the Duration Counter function that is found on many Sony cameras. The underlying timecode that is recorded with each clip increments normally, but the control track counter shown in the viewfinder resets to 0:00 at the head of each new clip. It is an excellent feature of Sony cameras and I use it all the time. However, if the X70 is anything like the Z90 and NX80, it does not have the Duration Counter feature. Chris has already given the best advice above for changing the numbers back to zero or any number you want.
            Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
            HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
            http://www.dougjensen.com/

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Ray & Paula View Post
              I never noticed this being a continous counter and that long of one.
              Sounds like you may have had it set for User Bits in the past. In that case, the numbers wouldn't change unless you chose to change them manually. If the X70 is anything like the Z90 and NX80, you can only choose to show timecode (which is always going to increment whenever you're recording) or User Bits. No other choice for the display.
              Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
              HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
              http://www.dougjensen.com/

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post

                Not exactly right. You wouldn't want the actual timecode value to start over again at 0:00 for every new clip, and I don't believe there is any camera that can do that. I think what you are referring to is the Duration Counter function that is found on many Sony cameras. The underlying timecode that is recorded with each clip increments normally, but the control track counter shown in the viewfinder resets to 0:00 at the head of each new clip. It is an excellent feature of Sony cameras and I use it all the time. However, if the X70 is anything like the Z90 and NX80, it does not have the Duration Counter feature. Chris has already given the best advice above for changing the numbers back to zero or any number you want.
                It's right; it just involves semantics which code of time one is referring to and how a manual is written and who you're speaking to.

                All mirrorless'/DSLRs by default operate by resetting the time each time you hit record and that's what he is interested in, and not the embedded timecode that may or may not exist that's used later in post.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post

                  Sounds like you may have had it set for User Bits in the past. In that case, the numbers wouldn't change unless you chose to change them manually. If the X70 is anything like the Z90 and NX80, you can only choose to show timecode (which is always going to increment whenever you're recording) or User Bits. No other choice for the display.
                  There is a 'free run' choice as well, but he wouldn't want that.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Yes, semenantics, but Record Run and Free Run are both timecode. I didn't feel the need to specifically mention one or the other. Timecode is timecode. But I do think it is important not to call a simple control track counter "timecode", because that is not timecode. Nor does the Duration Counter have anything do with timecode. I'm a stickler for using the right terminology to avoid confusion. Not just for the OP but also for other people reading this thread anytime in the future. Let's call things by the right name. The purpose of my post was not to criticize your information, but just to clarify.
                    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 11-04-2021, 11:51 AM.
                    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
                    HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
                    http://www.dougjensen.com/

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I think you're right, and you are right - not only because of the technicality implications of my wording but also because it's important for the integrity of this forum.

                      I have corrected what seems like hundreds of thousands, so I should be open to being corrected as well.

                      But FWIW, I didn't want to provide the OP a lesson on TC. See, in some older camcorders, as I'm sure you know, you had the option of seeing the clip recording counter (or whatever they called it) or the official timecode, and not both at the same time.

                      So when I say, "Regardless, you basically want to find the setting that resets timecode to 0 for each new clip recording", I am saying you need to find an option in the menu - if it exists - that removes timecode and replaces it with a clip/track counter that resets itself each time you stop recording, so he or she can easily understand me.

                      Now anyone else reading that might say, "Wait a minute..." and rightfully so because that's not even how timecode works, but sometimes I try to simplify the communication process when helping others even though being a "stickler" is likely to be more beneficial for them in the future.

                      With all of that said, and as you alluded to, and from what I've briefly read in the manual, I don't know if it's possible to see any counter continuously reset based on clip length.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Thanks goes out to all of you. I went through the TC / UB Set menu the time code 00:00:00:00 I did set the U-Bit which replaced the TC but, when I pressed record it remained at 0. Obviously, the TC is what has always been displayed due to not finding any other counter. Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate everyone's help.
                        Last edited by Ray & Paula; 11-06-2021, 01:57 AM.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X