Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Type XLR PXW-X70

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What Type XLR PXW-X70

    I have a PXW-X70 in which I never used the audio XLR inputs. I am aware that these have issues with the latch for the XLR's due to a factory defect. I happened to connect one which was extremely difficult to remove. I'd like to add, I'll be connecting the cable to a mixer. I have a couple questions;
    1) Has anyone been able to fis the latch issue? I did see someone cut out the latch eye on the XLR.
    2) I have balanced XLR cables & Mic cables. The XLR mic cables "do not" have the latch eyes therefore, the defected latch wouldn't be an issue.
    a) Will mic cables work?
    b) Does it matter if the cables are balanced or unbalanced?
    c) What is the longest run I can make without loosing signal?
    I would sincerely appreciate your help and input. Thank you. Ray
    Last edited by Ray & Paula; 03-30-2020, 05:24 AM.

    #2
    Never had a problem with quality connectors like Neutrik XLRs on either x70 or z90 cams, same setup. For XLR connectors you should use balanced signals using three wire cables. Mic or line level is fine as long as the XLR input levels are set for the correct incoming signal level. Length of cable run will depend on cable quality and the quality and the type of shielding in the cable. I've frequently run cables around football fields and entertainment venus with no signal problems. If your cables have to cross other cables cross them at 90 degrees if possible and try to space them away from other cables by a foot or so if possible. Just make sure all connections are protected from moisture if using outside. Quality of mic signal and its impedence can also effect performance.

    Chris Young.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by cyvideo View Post
      Never had a problem with quality connectors like Neutrik XLRs on either x70 or z90 cams, same setup. For XLR connectors you should use balanced signals using three wire cables. Mic or line level is fine as long as the XLR input levels are set for the correct incoming signal level. Length of cable run will depend on cable quality and the quality and the type of shielding in the cable. I've frequently run cables around football fields and entertainment venus with no signal problems. If your cables have to cross other cables cross them at 90 degrees if possible and try to space them away from other cables by a foot or so if possible. Just make sure all connections are protected from moisture if using outside. Quality of mic signal and its impedence can also effect performance.

      Chris Young.
      It is always a pleasure to read your posts and answers.

      Cheers.
      Peter Bosman

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by cyvideo View Post
        Never had a problem with quality connectors like Neutrik XLRs on either x70 or z90 cams, same setup. For XLR connectors you should use balanced signals using three wire cables. Mic or line level is fine as long as the XLR input levels are set for the correct incoming signal level. Length of cable run will depend on cable quality and the quality and the type of shielding in the cable. I've frequently run cables around football fields and entertainment venus with no signal problems. If your cables have to cross other cables cross them at 90 degrees if possible and try to space them away from other cables by a foot or so if possible. Just make sure all connections are protected from moisture if using outside. Quality of mic signal and its impedence can also effect performance.

        Chris Young.
        Thank you Chris,
        I do have some HQ Canare wire which is four wire w/ braided shield. This cable definitely does the trick for HQ balanced cables. I love Neutrik connectors as you do. My run will be 40-50ft which should be great according to a football field....LOL. I'm used to soldering therefore it won't be a problem. I sincerely appreciate your input. Thanks again, Ray
        Last edited by Ray & Paula; 03-30-2020, 02:24 PM.

        Comment


          #5
          I do have one more question;
          Would you suggest the balanced XLR to be connected to Left/Mono from the mixer to the X70? I wouldn't think it matters due to being balanced. Thanks again, Ray

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Ray & Paula View Post
            I do have one more question;
            Would you suggest the balanced XLR to be connected to Left/Mono from the mixer to the X70? I wouldn't think it matters due to being balanced. Thanks again, Ray
            Yes that should work fine and leave the other channel on top camera mic. Do that frequently BTW your HQ Canare cable is exactly what I have used for the last twenty years or so. It is top draw quality.

            Chris Young

            Comment


              #7
              I learnt from others, time to pass it on Stay well everybody.

              Chris Young

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by cyvideo View Post
                Yes that should work fine and leave the other channel on top camera mic. Do that frequently BTW your HQ Canare cable is exactly what I have used for the last twenty years or so. It is top draw quality.

                Chris Young
                Thank you Chris,
                Awesome! I'm so glad we crossed paths, now I know how to do the connections properly. I may have to makeup the mixer line out 1/4" balanced due to not having the mixer in front of me. In either case, this will work very well. Thank you again for passing this on, I sincerely appreciate it. Keep safe and healthy as well.... Ray 👍😊

                Comment


                  #9
                  No problems. If it's of help ?

                  Stay well.

                  Chris Young

                  XLR to TRS.jpg

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X