No announcement yet.

Z280 price just lowered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So NorBro, have you used this camera? I am always interested in seeing what people produce with it. There appear to be few samples of work done with it that are posted anywhere. I have seen Doug's work that he has posted and it looks great! I have used an EX1r for many years and continue to use it for certain types of event work that I do, but am looking for a replacement. I also use other cameras with larger sensors and lenses which are great for interviews and more controllable situations, though I have used them for run and gun work as well, but the z280 as a one piece camera with so many professional specs seems to be in a pretty unique category.

Comment

If you're genuinely interested then here it goes...

Personally, I have only used these types of cameras for high school/college sports and conferences that required slow zooms during presentations as speakers walked around on the stage. [Technically, I could have used interchangeable systems with still zoom lenses and reframe during the live cuts that displayed on the panels, but it's not very practical and having the ability to slowly push in and out is a major reason these cameras are used (as we know).]

This particular model - the Z280 - was on our/my list last summer for exactly that type of event. People talking on a stage, indoors.

A constant f/1.9 zoom lens is unheard of in these kind of systems (without it being a separate and more expensive purchase), and the thought of that functionality along with the low-light capabilities was very exciting, even with the 1/2" sensor.

However, ultimately I decided the final picture quality improvement was not worth the cost over existing systems. Exactly what started this.

I decided to move forward with Canon's XA55, which was released just weeks before. The 1" sensor and almost flawless face-tracking DPAF were my own biased selling points. Sure, on paper, the XA55 could never compete with the higher data rates of the Sony, the better piece of glass, and more DR (which wasn't necessary indoors as a LOG option wasn't planned on being used or even available on the Canon for that matter).

But how many people do you think would have noticed the difference in image quality?

___

[This is not really relevant (but part of the story): So with this particular allocation of resources, it provided me the opportunity to have three more extra units (although in reality it was overkill but you learn), and I also was able to upgrade the sets/vantage points that were provided for the videographers. I felt like the traditional scaffolding platforms that were being offered transferred too much foot motion into the picture. (Some people are more aware of their body movements when operating a camera than others.)]

___

As professionals, IQ - even perceived IQ - is so important to us. IMO, this is a major reason we purchase cameras.

The combined features of the Z280, on paper, are excellent. Obviously. But as I'm sitting there and testing this camera (and others, even the Blackmagic URSA Broadcast which wasn't fun), I am asking myself - and it's not the first time I am having these revelations - why does this camera cost $7000?

What am I really paying for?

Because I really don't think it's the image quality that's coming out from these 1/2" chips. (Shooting outdoors helps every camera.)

Am I paying that much more for the f/1.9 lens? The SDIs? 10-bit? The Sony name? ND. Definitely 4K/60p. I guess their full package.

___

Image quality - as we all say over and over again - is subjective. And that's why we are all allowed to have opinions. People argue about cameras every day. Colors, sharpness, specs, RAW.

Even which state is the best one to live in.

My comment was a simple opinion about the camera's cost in relation to the images it produces and what I personally think of them. Just me.

I often see a lot of people who usually turn out to be a bit older (or those who down-vote because they would rather not engage) have a difficult time understanding that the world is changing. I get it. I know similar spec'd shoulder cameras like this were $40K-$50K-$60K 10-15-20 years ago, but we are living in a different world and advancing at unprecedented speeds.

How many DO think it's worth $7000? Speak up.

This isn't a me hating the Sony Z280 thing; it's a me thinking it's not worth its asking price. That and only that, as I have said only that four times now.

So my thoughts will not change on the matter; I don't think the Z280 is worth $7000/$6450. And I don't think the Canon XF705 is worth $7000. IMO.

On the flip side of that, I think the Panasonic CX350 is a wonderful offering at $3700. I wouldn't purchase it, but it's a great value.

This is what forums are for. We discuss. We disagree.
      Last edited by NorBro; 03-09-2020, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
        If you're genuinely interested then here it goes...

How many DO think it's worth $7000? Speak up.

This isn't a me hating the Sony Z280 thing; it's a me thinking it's not worth its asking price. That and only that, as I have said only that four times now.

So my thoughts will not change on the matter; I don't think the Z280 is worth $7000/$6450. And I don't think the Canon XF705 is worth $7000. IMO.

On the flip side of that, I think the Panasonic CX350 is a wonderful offering at $3700. I wouldn't purchase it, but it's a great value.

This is what forums are for. We discuss. We disagree.
        Last summer when I was looking to buy a 4K camcorder I evaluated the Z280, XF705, and CX350. I priced out all three cameras with the accessories I would need. The Z280 came out to be around $8,800 with two 128GB SxS memory cards, SxS card reader, and a larger second battery. The XF705 came out to be around $7,600 with two 128GB V60 SDXC memory cards and a larger second battery. I chose the the CX350 and paid around $4,500 with two 128GB V90 SDXC memory cards and a larger second battery. The CX350 was the best value for the money. However, the CX350 does have its flaws and issues. To tell you the truth, I would have bought the Canon XF705 if the camera was priced under $5K.
        Last edited by nutmegger; 02-24-2020, 08:12 PM.

Comment

I'm sure many others would have as well for under $5K.

How's the CX350 for you?

___

I'm doing the same thing again this summer and interested in checking out this one...just started shipping:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...fessional.html

Captures ProRes...never seen that before in cameras like these (but could have missed one over the years).

Comment

I'm sure many others would have as well for under $5K.

How's the CX350 for you?

___

I'm doing the same thing again this summer and interested in checking out this one...just started shipping:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...fessional.html

Captures ProRes...never seen that before in cameras like these (but could have missed one over the years).

here are my issues with the CX350.

1) Auto Focus: Auto focus is slow at times and inconsistent. I normally have the camera set to manual focus. When I use the "Push Auto" function button, the camera often remains in the auto focus mode for 4-5 seconds after releasing the button. On the UX90, the camera immediately returns to manual focus when releasing the Push Auto button.

2) Focus Assist: Currently Focus Assist gives you the choice of enlarged display or peaking. I would like to see a menu choice having both enlarged display and peaking enabled by the Focus Assist button. I currently have Focus Assist set for enlargement and button 4 A. Iris Level mapped for peaking.

3) Wave Form Monitor: The WFM is my preferred choice for setting exposure. It is too small to be useful as currently displayed. Hopefully, the WFM can be enlarged in a future firmware update.

4) Zebras: Has anyone noticed when Zebras is enabled there is no icon displayed on the LCD to indicate Zebras is turned on? Please add an icon to indicate Zebras is enabled.

5) LCD Screen: This cannot be fixed via firmware. The 3.2" LCD screen is too small for this camera. The LCD screen size used on the UX90 would have been a more appropriate size. Occasionally, when doing an interview I use my Ninja Blade as an external monitor for framing, manual focus, and determining depth of field.

There have been numerous postings about CX350 owners have issues with the camera's LANC remote controller. I bought the Libec ZFC-L remote controller and so far have not experienced any problems with the controller. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ntrol_for.html

At the 2019 NAB NY expo I mentioned my issues to a Panasonic product guy from Japan and he said he would forward my issues to the Panasonic engineering team. Have not heard back if anything is being done. Hopefully, a firmware update will be coming soon to address the issues/problems many CX350 have posted.

Regarding the JVC camera, I looked at the JVC HC500 model when I was at the B&H store yesterday. To me, the only advantage the JVC camera has over the CX350 being a FCPX user is the JVC can record ProRes internally.
            Last edited by nutmegger; 02-24-2020, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Did they ever add V-Log to the Panasonic?

The JVC has J-Log1, which looked really nice in controlled environments on the LS300.

(For me, it was less about the DR range but more about its appearance. A non-crushed, out-of-the-box subtle pleasant look.)

Comment

Did they ever add V-Log to the Panasonic?

The JVC has J-Log1, which looked really nice in controlled environments on the LS300.

(For me, it was less about the DR range but more about its appearance. A non-crushed, out-of-the-box subtle pleasant look.)
                Currently, the CX350 does not have V-Log. It does have HLG.

Comment

CX350 firmware has just been updated and now includes Vlog.

Comment

Working...
                  X