Z280 price just lowered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z280 price just lowered

So, is Sony preparing to come out with an updated PXW-Z280 or are they just trying to drum up business? Just received a notice from Sony lowering the price $500 and noticed that B&H is offering it at a lower price?

Maybe a semi shoulder mount version like its earlier brothers in the EX range. Z280 body form is a bit like the early EX1. Then came the EX3 then the PMW-300 with their 'proper' side mount viewfinders and interchangeable lenses. Maybe a PXW-Z300 is in the wind?? I think in the broadcast arena there could be a market for a cheaper 1/2" 3 chipper for news work. Most of the new 2/3" ENG cams are starting to get up in price somewhat.

Chris Young

Comment

I am only guessing but it would seem the pricing for the Panasonic CX350 pretty much tipped the boat over on Sony & Canon. Each went for a fairly high price point for the privilege of 4k in this size of camera and now they are left up there hanging. I have not used the camera which is probably nice but it is tough to pay more than ~$5,000 for this type of camera these days imho. As DLD is always pointing out, smart phones are taking over everything, even peoples' minds. We are all starting to see how in the not so distant future, the smart phones will be considered event cameras...

Comment

I wouldn't read too much into the discount. This is the time of year that Sony always runs their promotions. Their fiscal year ends in March and they like to use this quarter to pick up a few more sales before the books are closed.
        Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
        HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
        http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman2003 View Post
          ... As DLD is always pointing out, smart phones are taking over everything, even peoples' minds. We are all starting to see how in the not so distant future, the smart phones will be considered event cameras...
          The smartphones are already "event cameras" where professional quality isn't necessary or cost prohibitive. The key here is that the amateur footage is getting better and better, so there's a natural replacement process at work as well. Joseph Schumpeter called it "creative destruction". Milk deliverymen, switchboard operators and VCR repairmen say hello.

PS. Sony is running a major trade-in program too. Is this purely because it's the end of the fiscal year in Japan - January-March is the last quarter - or because there's a lot of inventory piling up and CP+ is coming up in February? Or is it because the World Mobile Congress is in March and the new generation of smartphones will have high resolution sensors and 8K video?

I reckon it's all of the above.

Comment

In general, price drops are pretty common. Almost every camera at B&H has an 'instant savings' in its lifetime within a year or two. Depending on how popular the system is, some are temporary and not too frequent, and others may be more available and/or permanent.

Comment

Some Sony discounts are getting "inventory clearing" steep.

Comment

Just left the B&H store in NY. Noticed the Z280 demo model was no longer on display. Asked why? The B&H sales guy said the Z280 was not selling so they are no longer displaying the camera.

Comment

Just asking too much money for small chip, mediocre-quality cameras.

Extremely useful systems for certain productions, but buyers are smarter today and have options.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                    Just asking too much money for small chip, mediocre-quality cameras.

Extremely useful systems for certain productions, but buyers are smarter today and have options.
                    Have you actually used a Z280?
                    I own an FS7 and an F55 and the camera that gets used most is my Z280. It is an FS7m2 with smaller sensors and a f/1.9 17x lens. No shallow DoF, of course, but the picture quality and flexibility of that camera are amazing. You'll probably think this is BS but I've already made 2.5x what the camera cost just from stock footage alone, and those clips would have been much harder to get (or impossible) with my other cameras. Sure, the Z280 is not everyone's cup of tea but your description of the camera does not do it justice.

Comment

No description there. Just my opinion that I think its image quality is mediocre and that the company is asking too much money for it.

I could also say ARRI is asking too much money for the Mini. Or that Ferraris are too expensive. Doesn't mean anything.

To you, the camera can be worth $7K or $700K, not really my concern.

Comment

No description there. Just my opinion that I think its image quality is mediocre and that the company is asking too much money for it.

I could also say ARRI is asking too much money for the Mini. Or that Ferraris are too expensive. Doesn't mean anything.

To you, the camera can be worth $7K or $700K, not really my concern.
                        Well, if you find that kind of random observations and grenade throwing into the forum entertaining, more power to you.
                        I'm not retired. I work for a living and expect the tools I buy to do the job I bought them for and to give me good ROI. The Z280 delivers. That is from first-hand experience and not just some snarky remark.
                        Whether you find certain cameras or cars overpriced is not my concern.

Comment

It's not the first time I said it; I say it a few times a month.

And apparently it does concern you and since you feel obligated to take time out of your day to quote me and protect a product you're associated with would you also like to hear what I think about your camera courses? Or your stock footage advice?

One can form an opinion about anything in life.

In this case, it may be by operating the camera, or by spending countless hours editing its footage, or by watching 1 million videos and analyzing its quality, or by simply having disdain for the company (I don't). All opinions from different perspectives.

I wasn't looking for an argument. If you get to say it delivers then I also get to say it doesn't. And we can coexist.

Comment

It's not the first time I said it; I say it a few times a month.

And apparently it does concern you and since you feel obligated to take time out of your day to quote me and protect a product you're associated with would you also like to hear what I think about your camera courses? Or your stock footage advice?

One can form an opinion about anything in life.

In this case, it may be by operating the camera, or by spending countless hours editing its footage, or by watching 1 million videos and analyzing its quality, or by simply having disdain for the company (I don't). All opinions from different perspectives.

I wasn't looking for an argument. If you get to say it delivers then I also get to say it doesn't. And we can coexist.
                            You didn’t answer if you had actually used the Z280. And I think it is helpful to know when someone has a burr under their saddle. State your case well but no need to troll the members.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Roper View Post
                              You didn’t answer if you had actually used the Z280. And I think it is helpful to know when someone has a burr under their saddle. State your case well but no need to troll the members.
                              Are you new here or just bored?

I didn't answer the question because it's an unprovable, pointless inquiry that wouldn't change anything.

Use your brain and philosophically process what's being asked. You would never know if I really used it or did not use it. (And, yes; I used it along with the XF705.)

"I used the camera." Now what?

Does that alter anyone's feelings? Now that you "know" - based on what I've told you on a forum - is my opinion in thinking their asking price is too high more valid?

Trolling? Over 11 years, there have been a countless number of cameras that I said I think (in my opinion) are too expensive.

Why are people getting so upset? Post #9 is a very honest assessment of mine.

I think the camera is super useful for certain productions but I think its image quality is mediocre and they are asking too much money for it. And there is competition. That is literally all I said. There are five B&H reviews that share similar thoughts.

What is the problem? It's not like I said they are useless cameras.

I cannot be the only person whom thinks $7000 was asking too much money. [Apparently not if B&H really did pull it from their display because of low sales (as mentioned on the last page).]
                              Last edited by NorBro; 02-24-2020, 04:05 PM. Reason: Grammar.

Comment

Working...
                              X