No announcement yet.

Sony PXW-Z280 & PXW-Z190 4K cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will try to remember to pose that question to the Japanese engineers and see what they say.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
      Sony seem a bit lost on the sxs vs xqd?

I get that some prod cos might want to milk life from thier sxs stock but is there further reason for this?

I have an answer, but first I need to correct something I said earlier in post #29. BTW, I have already edited that post to correct it. I said that XQD cards in an adapter could only be used for 4K upto 30 fps. Good news -- that was wrong. The Z280 can use XQD cards in an adapter with any of the camera's recording formats (including 4K @ 60 fps) as long as the XQD card is rated for that bit rate. The same thing can be said about the SxS cards -- the card must be rated for the selected format. So old and slow SxS cards are not going to allow 40K @ 60 fps.

The reason for making SxS cards the native type of card is because they allow maximum compatibilty for customers who are upgrading from an earlier XDCAM camera (such as the X200) that uses SxS cards. And also for customers who will be using the Z280 as a B camera to a Z450, F55, etc. that also uses SxS cards. Obviously the Z280 is going to make great little grab-and-go camera for owners of the bigger cameras who still want to record 10-bit 4:2:2 XAVC-I and S-LOG on the run.

However,if someone would prefer using less expensive XQD cards they can easily do that with an inexpesnive adapter. But if XQD cards had been chosen as the native format, a lof of customers would be pissed they couldn't use their SxS cards. Makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Doug. As a current PMW-300 owner (and I had the EX3 before that) I'm quite interested in the Z280 as an eventual possible "4K successor" to it. Lots of SxS cards in my kit bags! Nice move by Sony...but I really want one with the viewfinder arrangement of the PMW-300! I'm less concerned now about the interchangeable lens option as I've never taken the lens off my PMW-300 since I also bought a FS5 in 2015 for the entry level 4K and wide range of lens options that brought to the table.
        Andy K Wilkinson
        https://www.shootingimage.co.uk

Comment

I would love to know why they didn't add HFR recording to the camera. Seems like a missing piece that would be easily added and round the camera out.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
            Nope, you're not getting that. But I find the design of the grip to be more comfortable than the EX1.
            Don't lie to me Jensen! I WANT MY ROTATABLE GRIP!! It CANT be comfortable when wanting to hold the camera close to your chest and using the LCD screen, I've never looked through the evf of a camcorder and Im not about to start. I even took it off.

Tell me how Im going to do this with dislocating my wrist?..

BTB&W small.jpg
            http://www.billthomasphoto.com/
            Sony F5 / F3/ EX-1 / Nikon D800 / BMPCC / Atomos Samurai / Zeiss & Nikon lenses

Comment

Originally posted by Fotojorno View Post
              I've never looked through the evf of a camcorder and Im not about to start. I even took it off.

Tell me how Im going to do this with dislocating my wrist?..
              ]
              And I have never used a camera handheld without looking through the LCD viewfinder. If you don't want to hold the camera proerly, then finding a comfortable postion is going to be tough. Good luck with that. :-)

Comment

And I have never used a camera handheld without looking through the LCD viewfinder. If you don't want to hold the camera proerly, then finding a comfortable postion is going to be tough. Good luck with that. :-)
                Haha, burn!

Sony does make a rotating handgrip, it's called the CBK-PXWFS5...I think it costs $5000. :-D

I think Fujinon took the V-grip off of their B4 lenses a while back didn't they?

Paul

Comment

And I have never used a camera handheld without looking through the LCD viewfinder...
                  Yes we know..

s-l1000.jpg
                  http://www.billthomasphoto.com/
                  Sony F5 / F3/ EX-1 / Nikon D800 / BMPCC / Atomos Samurai / Zeiss & Nikon lenses

Comment

Love it!

Comment

I spent a great deal of time with a Sony engineer discussing the PWX-Z280 at NAB and for my purposes this is an absolute beast of a camera. 4K 60p, 4:2:2 10-bit internal, 3x 1/2" CMOS sensors, HDR (via HLG), Face Detection autofocus, 12G-SDI, genlock, timecode, 17x optical zoom, LANC control. Maximum aperture is a constant f/1.9 throughout the entire zoom range - so nice. When shooting (recording) in 4K, SDI output can be ANY format you want, including 1080p or 1080i (for broadcast purposes). 1080p is a perfect downsample from the entire frame. Additionally, when shooting in 1080p, there is the option of a 2x extender that does a center crop and allows you to double the zoom range - that means on the long end, you're over 1000mm (full frame equivalent) with no digital magnifying of the image. LCD, SDI, and HDMI are all available at the same time in 1080p (have to give one of them up when in 4K). Best of all, though, this camera has the LEAST SDI lag of any modern camera I've seen - it was plugged in directly to an SDI monitor and camera movement was instant.

Low light performance looked absolutely excellent - we dialed it up to 12db of gain and I couldn't see any noise in the picture (and I'm pretty picky about that kind of thing).

I shoot concerts, theatrical stuff, corporate presentations and the like, and wide angle is almost never an issue. Getting reach absolutely can be, though, so I like that this lens favors the long end. I almost only ever shoot live these days, so HFR is useless for what I do (if I was to shoot something narrative/commercial I'd want a camera with a bigger sensor anyway). The only thing that gives me pause is that this is the exact same lens that Sony used on the PXW-X200, which was previously emblazoned with "Fujinon HD Lens" on the barrel. They've scratched off the "HD" on the new model, but I wonder how good the resolving power actually is for a UHD camera.

That aside, I'm incredibly impressed with this model and it absolutely sets the bar for all integrated-lens cameras in the sub-$7K space.
                      you + are = you're.

Comment

I'm coming back to this style of camera after 10+ years - I currently use an FS7 and A7Rii.

I'm comparing the 280 with a Z100, which is roughly half the price and is available now as an end-of-line item. I have a series of low profile docco shoots coming up and may need to start before July, when the 280 is scheduled for release. I'm relieved to hear the 280 takes XQD cards, as those are the only high speed media I have - thanks for that update, Doug.

I'd welcome thoughts on the following Z100 vs 280 queries:

Sensitivity - the 2 cameras are specced differently on the Sony site, one in lumens and the other in f stops. Any idea what the real world differences are? Is the Z100 significantly noisier?

Auto Focus - never used it on a video camera, but Sony are making a big deal about the eye tracking AF on the 280. Is this actually useful or a bit of a gimmick? Does it give typical AF results? ie, focus hunting etc...

FOV - Sam mentioned a 30mm FF FOV on the wide end of the 280. Any idea what it is on the Z100?

Any other things you think one should consider when comparing the two? A quick glance through the Z100 manual suggests it will only do "custom" gamma curves and I can't see any reference to S-log recording or Cine EI. How will the 280 handle log recording and viewfinder LUTs? Can it do Cine EI?

Thanks,

Ben.
                        Ben Giles BFE BAFTA

www.matobo.co.uk

@MatoboLtd

Comment

Anyone know if the Z280 will have custom mode slog or CineEI mode like the FS7?

Comment

Ben
                            As you own the 18-110 proper zoom I would think that that matched with an fs5 (and a 50 1.8 in your back pocket) would present serious competition to these announced cameras.

The 18-110 combo with fs5 still seems to be the front runner for a portable package to me.

Had they got wider than 30 I'd reconsider that.
                            http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Yeah, the FS5 - really nice sized package.

But I'm being hamstrung by broadcast reqs - gotta be 10 bit 422 4K.

As far as I can see, nothing else out there offers a compact 10 bit docco solution.
                              Ben Giles BFE BAFTA

www.matobo.co.uk

@MatoboLtd

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
                                Had they got wider than 30 I'd reconsider that.
                                Well, then start reconsidering because your numbers are all wrong. The Z280 has a wide angle focal length of 5.6mm which is equivalent to 18mm on a super35mm camera, such as the FS5, FS7, F55, etc.
                                You already said that the f/4 Sony 18-110 and FS5 is a good combo. Well, the Z280 is way BETTER because it gives you an f/1.9 18-306mm equivalent. How can that possibly not be acceptable??

Sony really shoots themselves in the foot when they give equivalent focal lengths based on FF 35mm. Who cares about that? How many people are shooting with video cameras that have FF sensors? I can't relate to it at all. Most of us work in a super35mm environment and that is what we can relate to.

So put your order in now, Sam, because youre gonna love the Z280. It is as wide as you'd ever need in almost all shooting situations.

I'll address the other questions raised on this thread later when I have time. Gotta go shoot something . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X