No announcement yet.

Z150: Florida Wildlife in 4K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realy good footage,how you got those shots with 348.0 mm lens reach is beyond me.

Comment

Very nice Doug... Beautiful work as always.....

Comment

Excelllent images and lovely craft Doug. Makes me feel even better about buying a PXW Z150~ and also for buying your excellent course.
        Last edited by BrianMurphy; 04-01-2017, 07:46 AM.
        Brian Murphy
        Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
        Sony FS5 MKII-Sony FX-6 (on order) - Sony PXW-Z150 -Sony A7iii -Sony A6400/A6000
        Sony-28/135 Cine-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 Sigma 24/70, Nikon 55(1.2)
        Sigma 24-70/F2.8 Art
        Collection of CY lenses and vintage Nikons, Canons.
        DJI Osmo Plus -GoPro H5
        DJI Mavic Mini
        Konovas motorized slider kit.
        Teradek Vidiu kit-PFY Eagle Eye/iPad mini 5

Comment

Doug,

Very nice footage, well executed. I do have a question, as I am considering this camera. Some of the footage looks like it was shot slightly overexposed and pulled back in post, or pushed to the point where the whites have crushed. Can you answer if the camera does this natively, even if shot is slog?

Thanks

Andrew

Comment

No S-Log on the Z150...Doug has to pull out the F55 for that

Comment

Originally posted by Planetwide View Post
              Doug,

Very nice footage, well executed. I do have a question, as I am considering this camera. Some of the footage looks like it was shot slightly overexposed and pulled back in post, or pushed to the point where the whites have crushed. Can you answer if the camera does this natively, even if shot is slog?

Andrew
              Thanks for the compliment. As NorBro says, the Z150 does not have a LOG mode or even Hypergammas. So the biggest problem with the Z150 is it's very limited dynamic range. Very limited compared to the other cameras I own. So, while almost nothing was clipped when I shot it, I did have to make some compromises in post to find a middle ground between excessive highlights or crushed shadows. It's possible that some shots could have been graded better but I didn't have much time for this project -- so it is what it is. But you are correct, there are issues.
              Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
              HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
              http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
                Cary, I'd be most appreciative if you could start a new thread on that topic and let us know what they are. I'm all ears.
                Doug, what you can do is to create a custom transparent png file (for instance by using PhotoShop) with your watermark.
                I would recommend very thin sparsely repeating lines interrupted by text or your business logo or even your name, and the more transparent you make or the more off-center you place it the harder it is to notice.

To process this you merge the png file with your video like so:

ffmpeg -i your_video.mp4 -i your_watermark.png -filter_complex "overlay=0:0" out.mp4

Here is a little example I made with my name and some lines in the top corner only on a 6K video fragment upscaled to 8K:

Last edited by Cary Knoop; 05-19-2017, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Cary, I don't see any watermark so I don't see how that safeguards your footage.
                  BTW, when I want to add a watermark (even a logo, text, or lines) it is easy enough to do right in Premiere during the initial export without going through another program.

Comment

Hey Doug! What parts of our lovely state did you visit? Very nice footage, as always!
                    FCP 7.0, PP 6, MacPro Octo 2.8, MBPro, EX1, MXO2, Sachtler FSB6

Comment

Dave, I have spent much of the last couple of Winters in the Titusville / Cape Canaveral area of your lovely state and I hope to be there again next year, too!

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
                        Dave, I have spent much of the last couple of Winters in the Titusville / Cape Canaveral area of your lovely state and I hope to be there again next year, too!
                        Where can I purchase some of your clips? I need some Florida footage and this looks good. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Trek, please send me a PM with more details of what you need and I'm sure we can work something out!

Comment

Working...
                          X