Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• captslomo
    replied
    Allen: my Ex-3 also had the DC input short out (not sure exactly what the audio guy was doing when it happened while rigging receifvers) but the Sony Service Center cost was less than $300 to fix it. You might want to make sure they aren't quoting a price to replace all sorts of powery stuff inside the camera while dealing with the issue*. If you complain and can limit them to just doing the minimum, it can make a world of difference price wise.

*for instance, I had a sprung LCD hinge on my F3, and got a ridiculously large quote to fix it. turned out they were planning on replacing the whole LCD panel, the hinge and all the power connections. When I bitched, they just fixed the hinge and left all the perfectly workable stuff alone, for a fraction of the price.

Leave a comment:

• Doug Jensen
    replied
    I don’t know if you can modify the battery or not, but are you 100% sure the source of the problem is the camera itself and not the AC adapter? If it’s the AC adapter you can use any 12v professional power supply and adapt it for the Sony connector. My company manufactures just such a 4-pin XLR to Sony adapter cable.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._XLR_Male.html

Leave a comment:

• allenfacemire
    started a topic EX3 DC input dead

EX3 DC input dead

Hey guys and gals. While I have an FS7 and A7s, I still use my EX3 as a B cam but just had the DC input go out. Cost to fix is a grand and I'm not doing that. I have plenty of BPU batteries but on long interviews it's a stone cold drag to change out the battery.
    I'm thinking of taking a BPU apart and turning the dummy battery into a DC input device. Seems easy easy enough. This is not rocket science. Take the battery apart, remove the cells, locate proper contacts and polarity and then solder in a ring tip input to accept the Sony AC adapter. But if I can get one already make up, cheap enough...score.
    Just wondering if anybody knows if anybody out there makes such a device already made up.
    Remember, my DC input on the side of the camera is dead but BPU battery input is fine so it's essential to input any ancillary device via the BPU battery slot.
Working...
X