Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow. Im seriously considering shooting a feature-length TV documentary on the X70.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Vegas adding XAVC L support this month.
    Price drop probably due to disappointment over 4k upgrade.
    Turn your 10bit 4:2:2 pro camera into a consumer 8bit 4:2:0 4K camera
    at twice the price.
    Last edited by zeke; 04-06-2015, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Here is some footage I grabbed today with the X70 when I arrived in Mumbai. Always pop it in the bag now. All shot in AVCHD:

x70 india 7.jpgx70 india 8.jpgx70 india 1.jpg
      best, Sparky
      Last edited by Sparky874; 06-08-2015, 12:32 AM.
      SPARKY FILM
      WWW.SPARKYFILM.COM

Comment

Well thank you guys, after weeks of research and testing I foun out that X70 with A7s as a B cam is the perfet solution for me.

Thanks for all the helpful tips.

Comment

A quick comment on X70 batteries- In the rundown tests I did with mine, the FV70 battery that comes with the camera gets about 2.5-3 hours of record time with the screen on. I have been using, and had excellent experiences now with the 3rd party FV100 copies by Watson from B&H (http://goo.gl/Huivtu). They run 5-6 hours on a charge, have been totally predictable with the battery meter (going from 100% down to 0% evenly with no surprises), and cost $40. I just wanted to throw that recommendation out there.

Comment

@nareik - Glad you decided to get the X70 for your documentary!
            I also just picked up the x70 and am really looking forward to using it as a B cam to my F3 in a couple weeks. Great looking pictures, respectable sensor size and pro features make this a great little package you can always take with you. Here's a couple screengrabs from one of my first test shoots. With the new 2.0 firmware release xavc files now work natively in fcpx - so workflow is a snap.
            Cheers,
            Attached Files
            Paul Christopher
            www.paulchristopher.ca
            https://instagram.com/paulchristophr

Comment

very nice, well done.
              SPARKY FILM
              WWW.SPARKYFILM.COM

Comment

Cheers Sparky! Your footage from the x70 is the primary reason I picked up the camera. Glad I went for it!
                Paul Christopher
                www.paulchristopher.ca
                https://instagram.com/paulchristophr

Comment

Wow that's very nice of you to say, thank you Paul. Good luck with the camera and keep up the good work!
                  SPARKY FILM
                  WWW.SPARKYFILM.COM

Comment

Sad to report that I just updated the firmware to version 2 on my X70 - hoping that Sony Vegas could read the XAVC files, but still sadly it can't. Very odd - as Vegas has no issues with any 2k/4k XAVC files I throw at it from my Sony F5.
                    SPARKY FILM
                    WWW.SPARKYFILM.COM

Comment

Sparky, you could use their free catalyst software to convert to XAVC I during capture. Sony justt released a new build today.

Comment

I know but that's too time consuming, thanks Zeke.
                        SPARKY FILM
                        WWW.SPARKYFILM.COM

Comment

Well, so I did a 5 week documetary this summer, and I must say. The X70 is the bomb. Great little camera, lovely images. Maybe not the sharpest, og the viggest dynamic range, but in that price range...wow. Takes a while to get used to the focus wheel and the small piece of kit tho. The camera was put to the test being transported on a bike the whole time, dropped twice, soaking wet, full of dust and genereally banged up pretty bad. Hardly being inndoor the whole while, but sleeping with me in a tent. It worked like a clock. I developed some nopis on the +48 on CH1, but that was easily fixed in service. I had 4 batteries, but only needed maximum 2 every day.

I used the Senheiser MKH50, and a lightweight manfrotto tripod. The X70 will be a steady companion and backup camera for future productions. The only one time I had issues was condensation while moving inside due to a lot of rain, but I had a A7II that saved me that day.

Higly reccomended if anyone is considering this little beauty.

Comment

did you ever post anywhere on the internet that documentary you made with the x70?

Comment

Working...
                            X