thoughts on PMW-200 vs Canon C100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thoughts on PMW-200 vs Canon C100

I have a Canon C100 that i went to from a 5D Mark III and XA20 and am finding it hard to shoot. I think i'm going to get rid of it and go back to a videocamera. I'm looking at the PMW-200. I know it's apples to oranges but any thoughts from some DSLR shooters out there about the PMW-200.

Much thanks
    abel

Coming from an FS100 user (almost a DSLR) and a sometime user of a PMW200, I really like the 200. It's a sweet little camera. I would choose a 200 over a C100. Sure, you lose that tight DoF, but you gain a broadcast codec, timecode in/out, SDI out and genlock. When you go on multi-camera shoots, these features are a necessity. Sony XDCAMs are a much requested format in the freelance world. I'd pick 50mbps, 4:2:2 over AVCHD any day.

Comment

Shooting with a 5D Mkiii or C100 (I own both) is quite different than using a camcorder (I also have an xf305). I find them very different tools for different jobs. The xf305 is very useful when you are shooting run and gun, or a concert where you need a slower crawl for certain situations. I never have to wonder whether to swap lenses, etc. But I don't get as good a 'look' as the DSLRs give me,especially for interviews. It's all about what you shoot, and what you like. If I go to shoot an interview, I always grab either the C100 or the 5D. If I shoot a concert or am going to be on a boat all day, I'll take the xf305. It's just simpler. You will get a much longer tele with the xf305 (or 200) than you likely can afford on the DSLR crowd. Anyway, nothing wrong with the PMW-200 and it might buy you a small amount of additional low light ability over the xf305. I find that I rarely shoot with the xf305 anymore because I've learned the sweet spot for the C100 and work around the shortcomings, which are few. I'd rent a 200 for a few shoots if you are anywhere near a major city.

Comment

Originally posted by Abel View Post
        I have a Canon C100 that i went to from a 5D Mark III and XA20 and am finding it hard to shoot.
        I'm curious to hear what you found hard to shoot with the C100. I also just upgraded from the 5DIII and am finding the opposite. Like any change there's a learning curve, but I'm just loving the image that I get from the C100 and I'm happy to have all the old video camera functions built in again.

Comment

Goung from a 5D to C100 is a godsend, you get XLR inputs, ND filters an awesome image and much easier to hold. Going the other way say from an EX1 or PMW200 to C100 is makes using the C100 frustrating with constant lens changing, no nice smooth zooming and a comfortable hand held design - ( im talking doco and event here )

The C100 for set up shots i.e interviews and drama is AMAZING!!!
          Sorry for any grammar errors, English is my 2nd language.
          I don't make posts when intoxicated

Comment

The C100 just as you mentioned is great for the controlled environments...interviews, etc. for the run and gun i find it hard. Also there is no auto iris/iso as i did with the 5d series so i have to watch out for that as well. besides that the picture is great. I think i'm putting it up for sale and go with the 200 or back to the 5d. (i always go back and have regrets so that's why i decided to ask prior)

Comment

Originally posted by Abel View Post
              The C100 just as you mentioned is great for the controlled environments...interviews, etc. for the run and gun i find it hard. Also there is no auto iris/iso as i did with the 5d series so i have to watch out for that as well. besides that the picture is great. I think i'm putting it up for sale and go with the 200 or back to the 5d. (i always go back and have regrets so that's why i decided to ask prior)
              I could not agree more. The PMW-200 is king when it comes to run and gun. When the controls are easily accessible, one can focus on what he is recording rather than where the button to adjust settings is located. The picture quality is also fantastic, especially at 50mbps.

Comment

Working...
              X