Lens for upcoming short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens for upcoming short

Hi, i need your help. We are about to shoot a 15 minute short film. We will be using the EX1R. However were not very happy with the lens that it comes with. Can anyone suggest a good lens/lens adapter for the EX1R? We are looking to give a film look rather than a video look that the stock lens on it gives. Thanks.

Anyone?

Comment

I am surprised you are not happy with the stock lens...? I think its a well rounded lens. If you are looking for a very strong DOF, no fixed lens system is going to give you that look. You can open up your aperture and zoom way in (move the camera back) to get a stronger DOF.

"Film Look" also has more to do with 24fps and color grading IMO, not what the lens is capable of.

As far as a lens and adapter there are plenty out there. But after getting a good lens/rails/35mm adapter and then dealing with more loss of light and a huge bulky rig - I would just shoot high DOF shots with a DSLR.
      arsenal: HaloRig HD & Mini - 4k Cameras - Panasonic - Arri - Comer - Canon - Sony - Sigma - Rokinon - Rode - Tascam - GoPro

Shaky Footage? Check out this affordable Camera Stabilizer, use coupon code "DVXUSER" to get 10% OFF any purchase today!

DVXuser Sponsor:
      WE ACCEPT BITCOIN!

Comment

35mm adapters ...

Originally posted by MadHMC150 View Post
        I am surprised you are not happy with the stock lens...? I think its a well rounded lens. If you are looking for a very strong DOF, no fixed lens system is going to give you that look. You can open up your aperture and zoom way in (move the camera back) to get a stronger DOF.

"Film Look" also has more to do with 24fps and color grading IMO, not what the lens is capable of.

As far as a lens and adapter there are plenty out there. But after getting a good lens/rails/35mm adapter and then dealing with more loss of light and a huge bulky rig - I would just shoot high DOF shots with a DSLR.
        I have to fully agree with this sentiment. I have an EX3/SG Blade 35mm lens adapter and it's expensive and ultimately bulky. Go with a DSLR set-up. I'm not knocking the set-up by the way. It works very well but given the choice ...
        Attached Files
        Sony EX3, Panasonic DVX 100, SG Blade, MacBookPro intel. iMac 27" 2013
        http://www.deanharringtonvisual.com

Comment

You can get a shallow depth of field with the EX1R, which I think is what you are after.

Three factors go into creating shallow DOF. The two you can change are the aperture must be open and the longer the lens the shallower DOF.

What you need to do is:

1) Control your lighting and open your aperture. Have enough light to avoid noise, but low enough light that your aperture is wide open, like F1.9. ND filters are your friend.

2) Back up and zoom in. When zooming your using a longer lens, which is key.

3) is the sensor size, but you can't change that.

Unfortunately, the compromise you make with a DSLR or a 35mm adapter is you lose resolution and create artifacts. If you reduce the DOF as above you still have clear pictures (if you know how to create clear pictures in the first place.) Full auto is not your friend.

That said, 24fps and color grading go a long ways to a film look. Many famous films do not have a shallow DOF. Citizen Kane, Benjamin Button, Slum Dog Millionaire and Public Enemies come to mind.

Every scene need not have a shallow DOF. Use it to separate the character from the backgound when its important to focus on the character for that scene. Otherwise don't bother.
          Last edited by Duke M.; 06-13-2011, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X