Manfrotto 521EX Zoom Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manfrotto 521EX Zoom Controller

I'm considering the purchase of this zoom controller for our EX1s, but in looking at one of the specs at the bottom, cable length, I'm wondering just WHAT is Manfrotto thinking?

The 521EX Sony PMW EX1 Remote Control features:
    • Zoom: professional “wheel” zoom for finer adjustments and smoother progressions
    • Zoom Reverse Control - Invertible zoom direction: zoom in/out can be inverted (left to right or right to left)
    • Zoom Speed Control
    • Fast Zoom: preset fast zoom
    • Dedicated plug
    PRODUCT SKU: 521EX

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS: ( in - mm )
    cable length: 3.94 in

I measured the distance from the pan bar position of my current 523 remote and the Fujinon connector on the EX1 and it is about 17". So just how is one supposed to hook up the 521EX remote with a 4" cable? This makes no sense whatsoever. My 523 remote came with a cable that's capable of stretching to 24". So is the 521EX spec a misprint?
    Best regards,
    Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
    www.MWHDVideo.com
    HD Video Productions

This must be an error in specs; mine has a cable that - if not too long - is certainly long enough.

Comment

It certainly looks to be 4" long in the photo from Bogen's web site:

http://www.bogenimaging.us/Jahia/sit...AN&market=MKT2

In reality, how long is the cable they provided?
      BTW, how well does the 521EX work?
      Best regards,
      Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
      www.MWHDVideo.com
      HD Video Productions

Comment

It's absolutely great. The cable is at least 1.5m (didn't I said it was too long? ) But I was a Beta tester to some very first, pre production units, and I did tell them the cable is unnecessarily that long - perhaps they overdid in shortening it?

Comment

Thanks for your comments on the 521EX moldcad. Their listing definately needs correction. 1.5m is more like it. I hope that the production run is not really 4" in cable length!

BTW, How is the smoothness of slow creeping zooms, especially at startup? Is it possible to get a slow start like with the top handle zoom set at a speed of 2?
          Best regards,
          Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
          www.MWHDVideo.com
          HD Video Productions

Comment

Unfortunately, with my EX1, I had to learn the technique of starting the creeping zoom: you need to press the rocker a bit deeper for split second to initiate it, and even before it jump starts, release the rocker a little. This may be tricky, as - when pressed deep for too long - the start will be jumpy; but you can learn it. I can now achieve well over 100 seconds zoom from full W to full T (more then a second per one zoom step in the 1-99 range).

Mnafrotto engineers, when enquired about the inability to start really slowly, answered that the Fujinon lens control requires higher voltage to srart zooming, due to some hysteresis. They also said that this will vary from cam to cam - so I keep fingers crossed for your EX1/ 521-ex combination!

Comment

My experience with my two EX1s is that I have to roll my thumb over the edge of the rocker slowly until it just hits the first speed level--that zone is extremely narrow. Too much pressure and it's an abrupt start, too little, and the zoom sits there doing nothing.

I was hoping that the dial in speed setting would enable some alternative slow zoom presets that I could use in addition to the rocker control.

I'm guessing that Sony probably used a low-speed motor in there (to keep noise down) and that there are not enough windings and commutator steps to achieve a smooth start without applying a considerable start voltage. Just a theory.
              Best regards,
              Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
              www.MWHDVideo.com
              HD Video Productions

Comment

I just ordered the 521EX. It's estimated delivery is Oct 8, so I'll have some comments about it late that day, hopefully.

I've a large symphony concert coming up on the 18th and will most likely buy another controller within a day or so of receiving this one, if I like the way it works.
                Best regards,
                Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
                www.MWHDVideo.com
                HD Video Productions

Comment

Hi - is anyone still using the 521EX zoom controller?

I have just bought a PMW-150 plus the Manfrotto 521 ex - a legacy camera that I need for the cache + clip review functions.
                  Does the "Fast Zoom" function via the 2 buttons operate like a preset shotbox or is it merely a button that goes maximum wide or maximum narrow as fast as possible?

If it is a shot box then how do I programme the shot position? If it is the latter then my rocker is as fast as I'd need.

Comment

Working...
                  X