This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark

I'm going out to do some beauty shots of a rental cottage on the rocky coast od Trinidad.

http://www.dragonflycottage.net/photos.html

If I'm panning and getting shots with much detail, do you think 720 would handle the motion better than 1080? I am thinking that since at 720 you aren't spreading the image out to make it 1080, the 35mbps vbr may have more resolution to deal with pans without softening the image as much. I'm replacing the video that is on the link. Let me know what you think soon, as I'm on my way out.
    Work Examples - Vimeo - My Music
    Sony FS5 :: Panasonic GH4 :: Sony EX1 :: FCPX :: Senn G3 / RodeLink Wireless
    Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3 Shotgun, NT3(Pair), NT4 (Stereo), NT2000, AT4053b Hyper

Comment

I have mixed impressions of 720P as implimented in the EX series. I felt that the color subsampling suffered disproportionately to the luma sampling. Theoretically, 720 is using half the bandwidth in pixels, so the CODEC should have better quantizing of motion data, but in practice, I can't say it fully offsets the loss of resolution. I always shoot 1080P/24, as I feel THAT looks the cleanest.
      Best regards,
      Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
      www.MWHDVideo.com
      HD Video Productions

Comment

Oh well - too late. I shot it all in 720. Importing now. It's mostly for web so it's not terribly important.

Comment

Don't worry about it if it's destined for the web. The color subsampling of web video CODECs is far worse than anything in the camera.
          Best regards,
          Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
          www.MWHDVideo.com
          HD Video Productions

Comment

In looking at the footage there is some noise. Especially in areas of Bokeh.

Comment

How much light did you have available?

I think there will always be visible noise when shooting 0dB and above gain levels. I shoot at -3dB, which pretty much pushes it to invisibility. But of course if you're boosting black gamma, things are going to get noisy.
              Best regards,
              Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
              www.MWHDVideo.com
              HD Video Productions

Comment

That's the thing. I shoot at -3db too. And it was outside in the sun. The worst was shooting a flower with a fully out of focus Bokeh of a gravel drive. Very noisy. Another I saw was in a deep blew sky while shooting a flag. I had a polarizer on to saturate the colors. Many shots look pretty good. I'll examine closer tomorrow. Maybe make a screen shot.

Comment

I've noticed that there is SOME noise visible in grey, cloudy skies, usually if I underexpose a little, and the camera is hot from being in the sun. Just the other day, I noticed that my EX3 had no visible noise in the display with focus assist magnification at +12dB gain, looking at some dark velvet drapes in a dimly lit room. But 1/2-hour later, the same scene, with focus assist to magnify, noise was clearly visible. Temperature has a lot to do with it. When I was shooting an air show, the camera was in the direct, hot sun for 7-1/2 hours. But when I watched the footage on my 30-bit color projector, the noise was less prevalent, and I could see more detail, than when it was displayed on my Vizio 47" LCD. A lot depends on the bit depth and gamma curves of the display. Some exaggerate noise alot.
                  Best regards,
                  Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
                  www.MWHDVideo.com
                  HD Video Productions

Comment

Originally posted by basspig View Post
                    I've noticed that there is SOME noise visible in grey, cloudy skies, usually if I underexpose a little, and the camera is hot from being in the sun. Just the other day, I noticed that my EX3 had no visible noise in the display with focus assist magnification at +12dB gain, looking at some dark velvet drapes in a dimly lit room. But 1/2-hour later, the same scene, with focus assist to magnify, noise was clearly visible. Temperature has a lot to do with it. When I was shooting an air show, the camera was in the direct, hot sun for 7-1/2 hours. But when I watched the footage on my 30-bit color projector, the noise was less prevalent, and I could see more detail, than when it was displayed on my Vizio 47" LCD. A lot depends on the bit depth and gamma curves of the display. Some exaggerate noise alot.

You have to be careful with TVs, as opposed to real compu monitors (or cheap TVs with poor noise reduction, like a Vizio). If you have a good projector, it will apply very good real-time noise reduction. I personally was shocked when I first saw a familiar blu-ray running straight to a compu monitor. On my front-projector, I never saw a problem, but on a compu screen the noise was insane.

That said, noise is an overstated issue, I think, in these forums. Many major Hollywood pics have lots of noise in certain scenes. Until I started thinking about noise, I rarely gave it much thought.

On the other hand, teh harder the noise reducer has to work, the less sharp the final image.

Comment

Yeah it was just surprising to see the noise I did in broad daylight. I think like on my Sony H7 point & shoot, the camera's noise reduction has trouble resolving areas of the highest detail, and/or out of focus areas. My most noisy area was the bokeh area when I was focused on a flower, with both ND filter 2 and polarizer on the lens. Something about that combo made noise for me. Though I was surprised to see noise on the blue sky area of a shot of a flag waiving.

Maybe it's not a big issue in context. It just seems to stick out when played next to the other clips that day. These are crops at 100% image size:

Comment

does anyone have a PP that resembles a RED camera?

Comment

BBC made these settings for the EX1
                          http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/w...X1-and-EX3.pdf
                          what do you think about?

CAMERA SET menu:
                          AGC Limit: 12
                          AGC Point: F/2.8
                          A.Sht Point F/5.6

PICTURE PROFILES menus, manual settings:
                          Matrix: On
                          Select: Standard {v}
                          Detail: On
                          Level: 0 {v}
                          Frequency: 30
                          Crispening: -45
                          H/V ratio: 0
                          White Limiter: 0
                          Black Limiter: 0
                          V DTL Creation: Y
                          Knee APT Level: 0
                          Skin Tone Detail: Off
                          Knee: On
                          Auto Knee: Off
                          Point: 87
                          Slope 60
                          Gamma-Select: Std3 {v}
                          Black 0
                          Low Key 0

Comment

thoho - are those settings for general use? Low light?

Comment

With those black and white limiter settings, there will be black halos around highlight spots/edges. Better to turn those up to 80 or better, or shut off Det Enh entirely.

Robert, yes, noise is prevalent on most of my commercial Blu-ray movie collection. I watch a lot of them on my projection system. The Vizio claims to be 24-bit color, but it acts more like 18-bit color, because it doesn't display gradiants without distinct bands. My projector shows smooth gradients, OTOH. Lack of bit dept exaggerates the noise pixels because it often increases the contrast between the noise pixels and the rest of the image. That's why I found the noise to be not so noticable on my 30-bit projector. And on that playing field, the XDCam footage runs circles around a lot of Hollywood's stuff.
                              Best regards,
                              Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
                              www.MWHDVideo.com
                              HD Video Productions

Comment

These settings are for general use. See the BBC doc!

Comment

Working...
                                X