HDVF-C30W and PDW-F800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDVF-C30W and PDW-F800

Hello everyone. I'm trying to determine how the PDW-F800 or PDW-700 accommodates a mic when using this viewfinder? I've searched my supporting operational docs and internet, and I am beginning to feel as if this viewfinder wasn't officially supported for these 2 XD-Cams, even though it works properly and mounts nicely.

This situation arose this late only because I am swapping out a C35W viewfinder for this one. In the case of the model C35W, the mic mount holder is helpfully bolted right to the main chassis of the viewfinder. Nothing similar visible on my C30W. Ditto for mount points elsewhere on the camera. Nothing seen, nor in function diagrams.

Thanks in advance, and happy filming - Grant.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Grant,

From my F800 Field Guide: "Please note that there is no mount on the camcorder body for a shotgun microphone. The shotgun mount is actually built into the HDVF-200
    and HDVF-20A viewfinders [101] — but not on the HDVF-C35W. So, if you choose to go with a C35W viewfinder, be sure to order the optional CAC-12 microphone holder and the longer K-1502 XLR cable."

I had z C35W on my F800 and the mount worked great. I preferred taking the stress off the viewfinder and putting it straight to the body.

https://books.apple.com/us/book/vort...4STREAM%20LINK
    (Digitla version available, hard copies sold out years ago)

Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Doug, thanks as always, and great to know that you are still out there!

A point of clarification - the C35W was actually fine on my 800 with the stock mounting point for microphone. No issues there. It's the C30W, it's more slender cousin, that has me stumped. The manual for the 700/800 mentions the C35W, but not the 30. That is what has me questioning whether the 30 was not intended for my camera. I do understand intuitively that the more production-oriented rigs that can use the C30W are not going to be as well equipped for on-board mic - they're not generally used in that way. XD-Cam is more 'news oriented'.

But I think I have the information I need here. It looks like the CAC-12 will find it's place somewhere on the body itself, and away from the viewfinder assembly. Funny that in all the years I have been using XD-Cam and working around other's cameras, I never did notice this 'off viewfinder/ mount attachment. It's perhaps a bit unusual in the DC area for XD-Cams to be using anything beyond the stock B/W viewfinders.

Side topic : I DO have 'in my stash' one nicely machined hand mic mount, also designed to bolt to the body. (out of stainless stock I think). I used it to mount a SM-58 mic with transmitter, and I would indicate to the correspondent that they could snatch it off the camera as needed. Made by Stalonis Engineering, Baltimore I think. I tried several times to find out who was behind this fine fabrication, but could never find a search result on google. (I would have bought more for my other cameras if possible).

Comment

Yeah, as far as I know, the CAC-12 is desgined to work with all of Sony's ENG shoulder-mount cameras. Even my Z750 has the right holes for i, and I still might pull the trigger to get another one. There's something about having a mic mounted to the VF that just doesn't feel right to me. I sold the CAC-12 I had with my F800 because I thought I'd never need it again. Little did I know I'd be right back to a far better ENG camera a few years later.

Comment

Thanks again Doug. If you still happen to have a photo of your F800 showing where the CAC-12 was attached, that would be helpful. I am including 2 photos of what I suspect are going to be the mounting holes in the carry handle (WS, CU). The spacing, and the situation look feasible.

Just checked thru my copy of the Vortex Media's Field Guide, but I don't think any of the shots show this particular view.
          Attached Files

Comment

A follow up comment, for what it's worth. I was never able to accomplish a satisfactory fit of the (used) C35W viewfinder onto the supporting rail on my F800 camera. I eventually sent out the viewfinder to Sony, but it came back unimproved. An excessively sloppy fit, and the retaining pin doesn't 'catch' on the viewfinder as it is meant to. The 35 is in constant danger of coming right out of the rail, especially if someone attempts to adjust it's position (between storage and use). Peculiar that I could not get this resolved. Going to the C30W took care of the fitting issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Peacock View Post
              Thanks again Doug. If you still happen to have a photo of your F800 showing where the CAC-12 was attached, that would be helpful. .
              I did a Google search and I found this image that I posted at another Forum in December 2010 when someone else was asking where to attach the CAC-12 to their F800. How time flies!

The CAC-12 is NOT shown in this image, but the mounting screws where it attaches are circled. You'll be happy to learn that it does not get in the way of the handle and it hangs off the non-operator side of the camera. It was nice to have the mic mounted further back too, from when it was on the viewfinder. That is one of the reasons I'm thinking of getting a CAC-12 for my Z750.

21156d1295797180-shotgun-mic-holder-side-viewfinder-f800micholderscrews.jpg

Comment

Boom! Resolved. Thanks much Doug. - Grant.

Comment

Working...
                X