• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting if true? Tilta Sony Alpha 512GB SSD Grip

Might be worth keeping an eye on:

Chris Young

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/tilt...b-ssd-storage/

Seems like a nice solution to a non-existent problem. I don't see the need.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Yeah I saw that. Is the ssd removable? Otherwise, you're going to have a cap on how much you can record without removing the grip. Would make it harder to download mid-shoot as well.

The only real reason I see for this is cost-savings over cfexpress-a cards. And to be fair, i hate cfexpress-a. You have to spend 4x as much per GB as cfexpress-b to get slower cards that are compatible with far fewer cameras. But if you're cost-conscious, you can still record 10-bit 4:2:2 long-gop h265 in every framerate to SD cards. And if you really need all-intra h264, you can probably spring for cfexpress-a. So, kind of a meh from me on this
      www.VideoAbe.com

"If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech." - Noam Chomsky

Comment

V90 SD cards work just fine up to 4K120 on the FX6, so Sony could also just let people use those on the a7s3 rather than blocking them...

Comment

Yes. V90 SDXC cards are more than sufficient for anything the A1 can put out. Same thing with the FX6. I use Sony TOUGH V90 cards for almost everything I shoot, including 4K XAVC-I @ 120 fps. In fact, even V60 cards will work for up to 2-3 minutes of real time recording, which results in a 10 - 15 clip -- way longer than is ever necessary. I'd say my average 120 fps clip length is 30-40 seconds, which is captured in only 6-10 seconds real time. I've never had a V60 card fail until I was rolling @120 fps for more than 4 minutes. And even then, everything up to that point was fine, the camera just stopped, and it told me it stopped. No big deal.

Comment

If people think the 512GB SSD is going to give them longer uninterrupted recording times, they may be in for a rude awakening. The A1 easily overheats and I doubt you could fill a 80GB memory card in one single shot, let alone a 515GB SSD. Maybe if environmental conditions were cool enough, but I would never trust it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
              Yes. V90 SDXC cards are more than sufficient for anything the A1 can put out. Same thing with the FX6. I use Sony TOUGH V90 cards for almost everything I shoot, including 4K XAVC-I @ 120 fps. In fact, even V60 cards will work for up to 2-3 minutes of real time recording, which results in a 10 - 15 clip -- way longer than is ever necessary. I'd say my average 120 fps clip length is 30-40 seconds, which is captured in only 6-10 seconds real time. I've never had a V60 card fail until I was rolling @120 fps for more than 4 minutes. And even then, everything up to that point was fine, the camera just stopped, and it told me it stopped. No big deal.
              The a1 lets you record 4k120 all-intra on SD cards?
              www.VideoAbe.com

"If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech." - Noam Chomsky

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

The a1 lets you record 4k120 all-intra on SD cards?
                Good catch! No, I was wrong. I swear I've recorded 120 fps on SD cards in the past, but it doesn't work now when I just tested it. I must have gotten my wires crossed with the FX6 -- which for sure will let you record 120 fps all-intra with V90 and even V60 cards. Sorry for the mistake. Old age creeping in.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
                  Seems like a nice solution to a non-existent problem. I don't see the need.
                  Yes, maybe a solution searching for a problem that doesn't exist. In which case $640, a figure I saw somewhere, is maybe a bit much. Abe, I believe the SSD is changeable, but how quick and simple that is I don't know.

ChriY oung

Comment

Working...
                  X