Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony A7s3 doesn't display distance of focus point in video mode!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doug Jensen
    replied
    Originally posted by rudo_fr View Post
    All external monitor have this waveform tool, it is great to see precisely your exposure and your white balance. no?
    No.
    I don't see the value of it. Shooting with a video camera is different than with stills camera and I don't see how/why that information would be useful or practical to change if you didn't like what you saw on the scopes. The reason you don't have it is because Sony (correctly) assumes you don't need it. Having that capability in a monitor is a totally different situation from having it onboard a camera.

Leave a comment:

• rudo_fr
    replied
    what is crazy is that you have thoses tools (info distance focus and waveform LRGB) in photo mode in A7 serie but not in video mode it is my point.

Leave a comment:

• rudo_fr
    replied
    All external monitor have this waveform tool, it is great to see precisely your exposure and your white balance. no?

Leave a comment:

• Doug Jensen
    replied
    Originally posted by NorBro View Post
    Which cameras have you used that have RGB waveform? (Just curious.)
    Yeah, I'd like to know the answer to that one too. And why it would be helpful? RGB dipslay In post for grading, yeah, but on a camera? What's the point? You're not going to be grading individual RGB channels onboard the camera in the middle of a shoot.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Which cameras have you used that have RGB waveform? (Just curious.)

Leave a comment:

• rudo_fr
    replied
    This problem of displaying focus distance in video mode on alpha serie is not new unfortunately.
    Even on my Fs7 there isn't Rgb waveform for control our exposition, only zebra (not bad) or this bad histogram i never understood.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Because SONY says, "Why does human still focus?" lol, j/k.

I'm assuming you thoroughly checked the menu to see which display information is shown in video?

In general, all cameras have random quirks. There are teams of software engineers who meet with a variety of people and not every request or consideration makes it into the camera(s). Sometimes there is an overwhelming response to something missing (either from a long list of professionals who are asked to provide feedback or the general public) in which that feature may or may not eventually show up in a future FW roll-out.

But focus distance on the screen (if it's truly not possible to see it in video mode) may be at the bottom of the list because it could be a feature reserved for cinema bodies (for that company).

___

As far as the RGB/waveform...it's a common question over the years and some have answered by saying the cameras in question "do not have enough processing-power", but the likely answer most people are accepting after everyone smartened up is that it's a corporate game that's up in the air and some companies - once again - reserve those type of features for certain cameras (either more expansive ones or dedicated motion picture systems) while other companies (like Panasonic) may provide them in less expensive cameras because they have to or are encouraged to.

Leave a comment:

• Sony A7s3 doesn't display distance of focus point in video mode!

Do someone knows why sony A7S3 doesn't display info (in meters or feets) of focus point in manual focus mode?
    Of course in photo mode you can see it but not in video mode.
    It is like that since severals years with Alpha séries. Why SONY do that?
    On my batis lenses, i can see this information on small screen led on it, but not on the a7s3's screen.
    On Sony Fs7, i have this information on the screen. no problem.
    Last thing, when does Sony give us a rgb waveform for control our exposure? not the bad luma histogram we have on all sony camera....What are you doing sony?....easy to fix in firmware no?
Working...
X