FX6 Green Screen Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FX6 Green Screen Settings

Anyone got suggestions for green screen settings for FX6? Have a corporate client that I have a regular job shooting green screen work and he is never happy with the results. I'm kind of at the end of my tether trying to get this right. I'm shooting my first one with the FX6 tomorrow, just wondering what settings would be best to use!

Turn it upright
    http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Could you post a sample of your shot that didn't turn out? That will help us identify what you need to do differently to get a clean key.

It would also help if you briefly outlined the following:
      Your lighting kit and how you're lighting the subject & green screen
      Your light ratio and exposure method
      The distance between your subject & green screen
      Your previous camera settings, picture profile, and codec
      Your post processing workflow

I haven't shot with the FX-6, but if the shoot is indoors, under controlled light, why not set the FX-6 to Rec. 709 4K 10bit? I'm not sure how S-Cinetone does with chroma keying.
      Here's a blog post on the best green screen profiles for the FS-7, I know it's a different camera, but the results should be similar on the FX-6.

Here's a DPReview post outlining green screen best practices, and there are probably similar posts on here if you do a search (searching "site:dvxuser.com" followed by your question in Google might bring up better results than this sites built-in search engine). You might know a lot of the info already, but there's nothing wrong with a refresher, and I highly recommend watching the Matthew Rosen chroma keying videos.

Comment

If it's any consolation, I was able to pull a pretty good key off just using the "sh*tty" 8bit LongGOP codec in 4K on the FX6 (downscaled to an HD timeline). I messed up my settings and didn't realize until afterwards but it all worked out fine (and luckily it wasn't for a client).

My guess is that the XAVC-I codec should be more than adequate for green screen work, so long as the screen is properly lit. Also there are some small things you can do in post to help pull a better key, so it may be the fault of the editor/colorist if the client isn't happy.

Comment

How did your shoot go today?

Comment

Working...
          X