Sony SRW-1 internal noise reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony SRW-1 internal noise reduction

I am continuing a conversation started on instagram and was wondering if any SRW-9000PL owners could contribute.

It appears the SRW-1 has some sort of built in noise reduction filter it applies to footage. I do not have side by side currently but I am almost certain this is correct based on footage I have seen off of HDCAM Tapes out of SRW-1 and 9000PL. The footage lacks the dancing noise, usually seen in shadows of F35 footage.

It's not an issue of 10-bit or 12-bit or 422 or 444. The SRW-1 pulls the video signal from the exact same ports as Codex or 7Q so the processing is happening in SRW unit. I think long time external recorder users can agree there is always dancing grain to the F35 no matter how it is exposed.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.04.19 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.04.42 AM.jpg

These are the only possible mentions of it I could find in the manual.

Now I know there are lots of options in Post to clean up the image. NEAT Video works wonders. It is still interesting that some extra signal processing seems to be going on inside the SRW-1.

The 9000PL visually has the same processing. I know 9000PL users have claimed to have cleaner footage in the past also. My question is about the 9000PL 3G output, if you recorded this straight will it have the noise of F35 or clean up look of the SRW?

I thought I was the only one who noticed this. I shoot exclusively with the SRW-1 exactly because of what you mentioned here. The noise is much less when I record on the srw-1. Don’t have the 9000pl but I do know that the srw-1 is cleaner then all the other external recorders I tried.
    Favorite Cameras I own
    Sony F35 & Sony F3

Decent Cameras I own
    Arri Alexa Classic, Canon XH-A1 Dvx100b

These Cameras I own that almost did it for me BUT NOPE
    BMCC.2.5K AND FUJI XH1

These I own as a mad scientist and fanboy but will never shoot with again
    Red one MX, Red Epic, Ursa mini pro G2

My ultimate advice " Find a camera you love that way your signature won't be like mine"

Comment

Are you able to test the srw-1 monitor out live feed? I am curious if all the outputs our of the SRW-1 have this processing. I will have SRW-1 in a week or so to play with also.

Comment

Originally posted by yachacha View Post
        I know 9000PL users have claimed to have cleaner footage in the past also. My question is about the 9000PL 3G output, if you recorded this straight will it have the noise of F35 or clean up look of the SRW?
        I have a 9000 PL and I do thinking it is cleaner than the F35 which I also owned. I never had them at the same time so I couldn't do a 1 to 1 comparison but I definitely feel I can push it more that I could the F35. The idea that the noise reduction is happening in the deck is interesting, unfortunately right now I don't have an external recorder but I have been planning to get a hold of one for some testing. The 9000PL has the option of trigger recording on the camera with out a tape in the deck, it was designed this way specifically for use with external recorders. It even allows you to have a different color tally light for triggered recording with and without a tape. I wanted to test out this functionality as well. If I can get a hold an external recorder for a test I will post the results here.

Comment

I ran a test with my 9000PL by recording to tape and by capturing directly from the 3g SDI to my pc since I don't have a portable external recorder. The noise amount and appearance is virtually identical between the two. So it appears that in the case of the 9000PL the 3g SDI is outputting the same signal with the same processing as what is being recorded to tape.

Comment

Originally posted by yachacha View Post
            Are you able to test the srw-1 monitor out live feed? I am curious if all the outputs our of the SRW-1 have this processing. I will have SRW-1 in a week or so to play with also.
            I don't have access to a SR-R1, but I am curious if this same processing would happen using it for recording....

C
            IATSE Local 600 Western Region1st Assistant Camera
            Associate Member of the S.O.C.

Comment

I've been experimenting with SR-R1 and F35 in 12bit 4:4:4 mode, could potentially do a side by side of cam MON feed and SR-R1's recorded footage. Maybe not what you're wanting though.

Comment

Working...
              X