Panavision SSR-1 Sony compatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panavision SSR-1 Sony compatible?

I've been researching the various devices that can interface with the multipin connector.
    I own a SRW and a broken IF box and the CODEX M recorder caught my eye. Ever since it's invention I noticed that the demand was there because there was also the Panavision SSR-1 competing with it.

Has anyone ever known of a person that secured one of these decommissioned SSR-1 units? Do you think the SSR-1 would work on a Sony F series camera?

If yes, do you think the inverse (Codex M on Panavision Genesis) would successfully record signal?

A broken IF box is usually only the audio board gone bad -big board that takes up most of the IF box. This audio board must be plugged in for camera to recognize the box but the SDI signal doesn’t need to plug into the audio board. If you look inside the if box there are 4 mini bnc cables. Two cables come from dock, plug into the audio board, then 2 go from board to connector. The only thing this board is doing is adding audio to the bnc signal. You can plug the 2 mini sdi from dock directly into if box plug and it should work.

Please note, I call the big main board in the if box the audio board because that is the only thing it does. I think there is confusion that the little circuit board on the back of the xlr is what I am referring to. The xlr connection does not need to be plugged in but the audio board does.

It is my understanding any F35 F23 recorder will talk to the Genesis as well. Lots of codex M popping up on eBay. Codex is not worth anything without F35 wet dock, get that part first.

Comment

Thank you for replying, yachacha! Loving this info on the IF box. I've never dared open the thing but now I feel pretty confident doing it. Previous owner mentioned that it has its wires purposefully cut when it was decommissioned. Would a couple of short HD-SDI (nortonantiwires brand) work or should I buy Canare tier RG65 3G?

P.S. glad to learn you're an ebay user as well. Can you please give me your thoughts on a workflow pairing IF box with this Astro Design recorder? How the heck does one even get the footage off of this? Looks like I/O cable but I can't identify that protocol

Comment

Is it Sony or Panavision made box? The Panavision one could be completely different.

They are some sort of mini din connector that carry the SDI signal inside the box, they are one of the things on Sony parts that are reasonably priced or it is a simple wire to fix. Can you post a photo? Probably need to get the side panel control worked out first so you have control of the camera to test the IF box.

You have ventured into a new world of video recorders with this one.

Comment

I've yet to open my Panavision IF box but I've got a feeling it's Sony. I've been looking for clues in the related literature and came across this bit of info on Genesis' FAQ:

"To record 4:4:4 to a remote deck, connect two BNC cables between the GADC Genesis Active Downconverter [aka “BNC box”] and the VTR to record dual link HD-SDI. However, when shooting at fixed frame rates greater than 29.97, the recorder must be manually set to 4:2:2. When Genesis and SRW1 are separated, care must be taken to set each unit to the same recording format. When connecting the camera to VTR, use Canare L5CFB cables or equivalent. With the GADC, do not run lengths of more than 60m (~200ft) without a re-clocking device. With the GPDL Genesis Passive Dual Link, do not run lengths of more than 22m (~75ft) without an amplifier."

Does the F35 IF box also have similar capabilities? (The Genesis Passive Dual Link is skinnier and doesn't have audio if I remember correctly, just a little black plate with the large main multipin and two BNC sticking out- not what I own)

Comment

It's fun to read about these old pieces of gear that passed through my life back in the day. I was actually the first operator to use the Panavision SSR mags in the field, on a feature called "Fired Up!". Panavision brought us the first two working mags along with a tech (poor guy was working at the shop during the day then coming out to our night shoots, several days in a row). Prior to that I had been doing Steadicam with the SRW deck in the backpack connected with dual link SDI. The addition of the SSR to the Genesis meant I could eliminate one of those SDI lines (the other was still required to send image back to village, since this was a few years before HD transmitters). The SSR was a lot lighter than the SRW, but it still wasn't a feather, as I can see by the length of the rig in this picture.

genesisssrsmall.jpg

Downloading the SSR's was a really oddity back then. The studios were wary of flash media at that time so the loader played the footage back from the SSR and re-recorded it onto the SRW deck, which became the camera negative. Since we only had the two mags, this created a bit of a logjam at times. I think they eventually got us two more mags once they were built.
            Charles Papert
            charlespapert.com

Comment

Fantastic photo Mr. Papert. Thank you for sharing your experiences using this workflow. I recognized the workflow you described from the SSR-1's manual and am not surprised that it caused that bottleneck you recalled. How cool that you were the first project to use the SSR-1!
              Did you ever get a chance to use the GPDL/IF box on steadi? If yes, do you recall what you recorded onto?

P.S. What is that sled model? I'm a steadicam trainee (have been training operation with a Steadicam Video SKII, and assisting someone with a Flyer) and am considering putting my Genesis on the Video SKII

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesPapert View Post
                It's fun to read about these old pieces of gear that passed through my life back in the day. I was actually the first operator to use the Panavision SSR mags in the field, on a feature called "Fired Up!". Panavision brought us the first two working mags along with a tech (poor guy was working at the shop during the day then coming out to our night shoots, several days in a row). Prior to that I had been doing Steadicam with the SRW deck in the backpack connected with dual link SDI. The addition of the SSR to the Genesis meant I could eliminate one of those SDI lines (the other was still required to send image back to village, since this was a few years before HD transmitters). The SSR was a lot lighter than the SRW, but it still wasn't a feather, as I can see by the length of the rig in this picture.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]142489[/ATTACH]

Downloading the SSR's was a really oddity back then. The studios were wary of flash media at that time so the loader played the footage back from the SSR and re-recorded it onto the SRW deck, which became the camera negative. Since we only had the two mags, this created a bit of a logjam at times. I think they eventually got us two more mags once they were built.
                Hey is this a shot from that film as well (attached image #1)? was just revisiting the walking backwards podcast episode featuring you and noticed it. I'm having a huge nerdgasm upon seeing the special side-mounted lens motor post. I had wrongly assumed that assistants commonly used something like the Hill rodriguez bracket (which I also own), but i'd much prefer the one in this photo, it looks to add much more of a cleaner build and more freedom to move about the sled.

P.S. while relistening to that episode of the podcast I couldn't help but wonder if this is the video clip you mentioned (attached image #2)
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob "Gray" Sundal View Post

Hey is this a shot from that film as well (attached image #1)?
                  Yes, that was indeed from Fired up. Larger version of pic here:

genesis.jpg

and this is the shot we were doing that day: https://vimeo.com/120031231

P.S. while relistening to that episode of the podcast I couldn't help but wonder if this is the video clip you mentioned (attached image #2)
                  I can't remember which clip I was referencing, but that framegrab is from the excellent National Geographic Explorer piece done on Garrett that was shot at the Steadicam workshop I took in '85. Work84_87_WorkshopRockport_0004 copy.jpg

Charles Papert
                  charlespapert.com

Comment

Fantastic photo Mr. Papert. Thank you for sharing your experiences using this workflow. I recognized the workflow you described from the SSR-1's manual and am not surprised that it caused that bottleneck you recalled. How cool that you were the first project to use the SSR-1!
                    Did you ever get a chance to use the GPDL/IF box on steadi? If yes, do you recall what you recorded onto?

P.S. What is that sled model? I'm a steadicam trainee (have been training operation with a Steadicam Video SKII, and assisting someone with a Flyer) and am considering putting my Genesis on the Video SKII
                    I don't remember the GPDL box by name, was that the huge breakout box that paired with the SRW recorder in the backpack? If so, yep, did all of "Balls of Fury" and I think "Andy Barker P.I." with that setup.

My sled in the Fired Up! pic hardmonted to the Griptrix electric vehicle was a modified GPI PRO 1, with an XCS TB6 monitor and the Steadyrig Battery Hanger at the bottom. The Genesis forced those of us still using a PRO1 with its bespoke "chocolate bar" batteries to upgrade to a power system that could handle the massive startup current of the Genesis (I want to say 12 amp peak draw), so I opted for the battery hanger which I felt offered more balance possibilities than the PRO2. Interestingly the current model of the PRO battery system looks a lot like this one.
                    Charles Papert
                    charlespapert.com

Comment

Yes, that was indeed from Fired up. Larger version of pic here:

genesis.jpg

and this is the shot we were doing that day: https://vimeo.com/120031231
                      Very nice operating. And that background directing is amazing. Wonderful timing. Great shot by all involved.
                      www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Thank you Abe. I was very critical of my own work in those days and had a lot of nitpicks with that shot. I wasn't on set when a lot of the background stuff was laid out and I subsequently revised a bunch of the crosses, but couldn't get to all of them--I think it's a little clumsy in spots. Overall I think I prefer this one from the same movie. Less bombastic perhaps, but cleaner. https://vimeo.com/397992765
                        Charles Papert
                        charlespapert.com

Comment

I don't remember the GPDL box by name, was that the huge breakout box that paired with the SRW recorder in the backpack? If so, yep, did all of "Balls of Fury" and I think "Andy Barker P.I." with that setup.

My sled in the Fired Up! pic hardmonted to the Griptrix electric vehicle was a modified GPI PRO 1, with an XCS TB6 monitor and the Steadyrig Battery Hanger at the bottom. The Genesis forced those of us still using a PRO1 with its bespoke "chocolate bar" batteries to upgrade to a power system that could handle the massive startup current of the Genesis (I want to say 12 amp peak draw), so I opted for the battery hanger which I felt offered more balance possibilities than the PRO2. Interestingly the current model of the PRO battery system looks a lot like this one.
                          Thank you for replying to my questions sir. I really appreciate your approach to steadicam & your philosophies on camera movement. After considering your advice here and on clubhouse to others a while back I have decided on a GPI Pro cine live system. I've entered negotiations for an annual salary at the production company I work for, and will attempt to have them cosign the financing or buy the stabilizer outright, and after a year of training plan to buy a betz wave.

Comment

Thank you for replying to my questions sir. I really appreciate your approach to steadicam & your philosophies on camera movement. After considering your advice here and on clubhouse to others a while back I have decided on a GPI Pro cine live system. I've entered negotiations for an annual salary at the production company I work for, and will attempt to have them cosign the financing or buy the stabilizer outright, and after a year of training plan to buy a betz wave.
                            Sounds like a good set of choices Jacob!

Charles Papert
                            charlespapert.com

Comment

Here's a little chunk of pix I found of the Genesis from back in the day. The first three are I took at Cinegear when the Genesis debuted, 2005 maybe. The fourth one is from our studio setup of the Genesis on "Balls of Fury".
                              Attached Files
                              Charles Papert
                              charlespapert.com

Comment

Working...
                              X