• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Krumlauf
    replied
    Originally posted by keisersoze View Post

Yeah right, could have gone to me.
    I'm almost positive Jacob was the one it needed to go to. Any kid in the generation below me who has a love and appreciation for the first generation digital cinema cameras has my full support. Most kids his age are focused on current tech. He's proven to me to that hes learning a lot about the craft and himself with that camera and that's all I could have asked for.

Leave a comment:

• keisersoze
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Krumlauf View Post
    Thanks for helping Jacob out guys. he bought my genesis. Could not have gone to a more deserving person!
    Yeah right, could have gone to me.

Leave a comment:

• Jacob "Gray" Sundal
    replied
    Originally posted by yachacha View Post
    It’s kind of a bummer that this damage happened, i have always found the best way to approach repairs is to source the parts and then pay technician if it’s work you are unfamiliar with. Especially with a one off like genesis. My confidence to experiment on F35 came from having lots of parts.

A big concern is your damage extends into power supply or REI which seems likely considering these parts have fuses to blow.

On Ebay there is Genesis minus ccd unit. If I were you I would be slowly chipping away at seller trying to get. these parts are gold to someone with a working Genesis. I would look at getting spare parts as the highest probability of success and will help years down the road.

I am not very confident replacing the scroll wheel parts are going to help. However looking at the Ebay genisis I can see the circuit boards match the Sony ones. So my approach wouldn’t be to repair bad panel I would plug Sony side panel in at the motherboard level. I am confident Sony Side panel could interface with Genisis just like the Sony Remote. Sony and panavision used different parts for their panels but the interface at motherboard is same plug. If Sony worked then it would be a matter of getting Sony parts into panavision panel.
    Fantastic advice really. Thanks everyone for the help.

I recently found a bit of info relating to the topic via the internet wayback machine. I found a 2007 archived page on the genesis that describes it's remote functionality as such:

"Fiber optic camera adapter for off-camera control and recording
    Integrated lens control for focus, zoom and iris
    Camera control via Panavision RDC or Sony MSU, RMB series controllers"

Thanks to the help of Mr. Borek (who was a Genesis tech back in the day) I was able to confirm they do in fact use the RMB-150 in shop, but alas in today's market they are all sitting around the same $700-$1200 range for a RMB+cable, it looks like i'll be renting the controller for now. Fingers crossed my new job will allow me the chance to make enough money for a piece of land and a house so I can pursue these fun side projects more.

Leave a comment:

• yachacha
    replied
    It’s kind of a bummer that this damage happened, i have always found the best way to approach repairs is to source the parts and then pay technician if it’s work you are unfamiliar with. Especially with a one off like genesis. My confidence to experiment on F35 came from having lots of parts.

A big concern is your damage extends into power supply or REI which seems likely considering these parts have fuses to blow.

On Ebay there is Genesis minus ccd unit. If I were you I would be slowly chipping away at seller trying to get. these parts are gold to someone with a working Genesis. I would look at getting spare parts as the highest probability of success and will help years down the road.

I am not very confident replacing the scroll wheel parts are going to help. However looking at the Ebay genisis I can see the circuit boards match the Sony ones. So my approach wouldn’t be to repair bad panel I would plug Sony side panel in at the motherboard level. I am confident Sony Side panel could interface with Genisis just like the Sony Remote. Sony and panavision used different parts for their panels but the interface at motherboard is same plug. If Sony worked then it would be a matter of getting Sony parts into panavision panel.

Leave a comment:

• Jacob "Gray" Sundal
    replied
    Originally posted by macgregor View Post
    Do you have any footage of shot with it Id love to see it
    it's a little f*cked up because i tried to color and grade it myself using da vinci resolve free version. I have basic knowledge of resolve and come from avid & fcp so i am still adjusting and i've come to terms with that so i've made this cosplay showcase public after being unlisted for months.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csbktIVDVYI&t=13s

Leave a comment:

• Jacob "Gray" Sundal
    replied
    Originally posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    @Jacob You're in Portland?! If you're open to it, I would love to meet up and see your camera sometime. I have never seen one in person and I've always been curious!

Ok, yeah! Let's meet up and shoot some footage with it next month! Work is coming back but if we meet on a weekday i'll be able to take out the rental necessary to shoot some footage.
    Every time i shoot with it I need to rent these:
    -x3 gold mount (anton bauer) 14.8V batteries
    -SSD for Atomos samurai recorder
    -SSD to USB 3.0 reader
    -Sony RM-B150 (from Pixthis)
    The total of the rental is just about $100 USD. I can't wait until my career comes back in full swing so I can finally afford all of these missing parts! However due to the pandemic I had to sell my camera assistant gear so I will need to buy that stuff back before I get into these "emotional puchases" again. If you're willing to split the cost that would be rad. I would let you shoot whatever you want on it (within reason).

I have found a modder to get a second lens going for the camera, and potentially fix the IF box as well as create lens shims using the body cap that Achduk3 has kindly provided for me to borrow. Dane from Casperson productions is facilitating the upgrades to the Genesis, and his special cutting tools & 3d printer may even get the Genesis rod bracket (GRB) & panavision original dovetail in use. Since my last post i've also acquired a Monitor bracket and Astro DM-3005, both of which were panavision originals.

P.S. there are apparently other Panavision Genesis owners out there, but my research has only taken me to SNS & youtube channels that have been inactive for years. If you know anyone with a Genesis body please have them reach out to me on here or facebook...

Leave a comment:

• Jacob "Gray" Sundal
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Krumlauf View Post
    Thanks for helping Jacob out guys. he bought my genesis. Could not have gone to a more deserving person!

Leave a comment:

• QuickHitRecord
    replied
    @Jacob You're in Portland?! If you're open to it, I would love to meet up and see your camera sometime. I have never seen one in person and I've always been curious!

Leave a comment:

• Mike Krumlauf
    replied
    Originally posted by macgregor View Post
    Do you have any footage of shot with it Id love to see it

Leave a comment:

• Mike Krumlauf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jacob "Gray" Sundal
    replied
    Hey yachacha, you're exactly right! I reconnected with a local rental house to rent the RM-B150 for the second time in my career (the first time was for a Jeff Dunham show where I was V2) & it turns out it works just fine for controlling the camera!

Archduk3 helped me set up a nice user menu after locking in a new build for my camera on his visit to Portland. I actually reached out to former Panavision staffers & Matthew Borek replied to me confirming that the RM-B150 is in fact the same panel that was used by the Panavision technicians back in the day.

I also inquired about the thumbwheel replacement because I would rather not have to tote around the remote controller, but half of the techs I inquired seemed to think that the Genesis thumbwheel was a different size from the SRW remote's thumbwheel- so I won't go further there without guidance. In my efforts to reach out to people that controlled the F35 & Genesis with the RM line of controllers i've also been gifted some special contacts to leads on official parts. Thanks everyone for helping me along this EOL adventure with your F35 knowledge!

Test footage dropping soon. Will be comparing the Genesis to the BMD 4.6k gen. 1.

Leave a comment:

• yachacha
    replied
    s-l1600.jpg

I think this is one of the cheaper ones on eBay, not cheap but still cool if you use camera on crane or other setup needing remote control.
    Last edited by yachacha; 02-18-2021, 01:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• yachacha
    replied
    I believe anything with Sony model "RMB" will work with the protocol. I see specifically the RMB-150 and RMB-170 list Sony F23 and Sony F35 on their compatible cameras.

Leave a comment:

• Jacob "Gray" Sundal
    replied
    Originally posted by yachacha View Post
    Sony control panel for F23/35 is not the same as Sony Paintbox which is the RS232 port so you need the Sony remote paintbox. The one labeled “ other” I do not know, perhaps Panavision had their own?
    I've just searched sony remote paintbox and am unsure where to go from here, there appear to be a variety of them but some of the sellers didn't bother to post closeups of the ports. Can you please recommend a model number?

Thanks again for all your help
    -Gray

Leave a comment:

• Jacob "Gray" Sundal
    replied
    Hey, thanks for replying y'all. I'm glad you find it interesting. I'm currently saving up for a local colorist to give these clips I shot the proper treatment, because the whole colorgrading Panalog is new to me, and I recently learned that my color management settings were wrong (I chose linear input rec709 2.4 output but my colorist has informed me I should've been using cineon input). So in the meantime here is my most recent cosplay project.

DIRECTORDEVIN,
    Archduk3 has recommended to me that when I do a test I should shoot a checkered shirt to check how intense the moire is. I've been out of work since March 2020 due to COVID-19, but have recently gotten a job at a fast food place because the state was dragging its feet on my unemployment extension- so very soon I will have the funding to rent my local studio and make more content. Next week i'll be shooting an intro to a friend's pokemon themed youtube channel, and will probably do any testing I can before the talent arrives. I'll record 4:4:4 to a HDCAM SR tape as well 4:2:2 10bit as onto my Atomos Samurai.
    Last edited by Jacob "Gray" Sundal; 02-16-2021, 12:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X