Horseshoe Crabs Breeding -- shot with Sony FX6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other: Horseshoe Crabs Breeding -- shot with Sony FX6

I shot this in a couple of hours last week with my FX6. Too bad it was in the middle of the day, but that's when the wind and tide were right for the crabs. Later that afternoon I heard they were gone again. I've added some titles to it and donated it for use at a local nature center museum. It might seem a little long, but they requested a slower, relaxing, video that gives visitors the chance to observe the behavior of the animals.

Camera: Sony FX6
    Lens: Sony 24-105 f/4 and Canon 200mm f/2.8
    Tripod system: Sachtler Aktiv8 head and Flowtech75 legs (submerged in sea water)
    Recording format: 4K XAVC-I @ 29.97p
    Shooting mode: S-LOG3 (graded in DaVinci Resolve)

FX6-Aktiv8-Flowtech-Jensen-A.jpg
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 03-24-2021, 06:28 AM.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

Thanks for sharing Doug. Great as usual. Just a quick question you do not have to answer, but if you had to make a choice, would it be the FX6 or the S1H? (mainly with regards to end image quality).

Comment

You have the video look down well.
      Sachtler tripod user for 40+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman2003 View Post
        Thanks for sharing Doug. Great as usual. Just a quick question you do not have to answer, but if you had to make a choice, would it be the FX6 or the S1H? (mainly with regards to end image quality).
        If you just want to compare image quality, and ignore all the other pros and cons of each camera, I would have to say that I prefer the look of the Panasonic S1H over the FX6. Not even close, really. I'll bet you are surprised to hear me say that.
        Last edited by Doug Jensen; 03-24-2021, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JPNola View Post
          You have the video look down well.
          I'm sure you intended that comment as some kind of insult but it doesn't bother me. I will take it as a compliment. The "video" look is where the real money is in this business and it is important to be able to provide it under any circumstances. If you think you could have shot "cinematic art" at 2:00 in the afternoon on a bright sunny day in a 20 mph wind, when the crabs wanted to screw, with a camera like the FX6, then I would love to see how you would have done it differently. Nature does not wait for the right light. :-)
          Last edited by Doug Jensen; 03-24-2021, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
            If you just want to compare image quality, and ignore all the other pros and cons of each camera, I would have to say that I prefer the look of the Panasonic S1H over the FX6. Not even close, really. I'll bet you are surprised to hear me say that.
            Thanks. I am and I am not at the same time. I picked up on how much you liked the look of the S1H which made me think it was providing something you were not getting from the recent Sony cameras. Lets face it, they are good these days, but we have our favorites. This makes me take notice as I have always trusted your views on image quality and chops for setting up cameras.

Comment

Working...
            X