"Bloom" shot in 4K RAW w/ LOMO anamorphic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F55: "Bloom" shot in 4K RAW w/ LOMO anamorphic

Shot on-location in CT with a LOMO Square-front 35mm anamorphic lens & the F55 in 4K RAW.
    Color-graded in After Effects & edited in Premiere.

www.lsstudios.us/

Saw this earlier today...looks amazing to me.

Comment

Beautiful.

But I can't watch it because of the shaky-cam thing.

Can people really watch this kind of stuff? Because I can't. I mean I just can't. It hurts my eyes and it gives me a headache.

I think maybe we should take a poll because I'll FREELY ADMIT that maybe it's just ME.
      But in a shot where the camera is not moving - why would it be shaky?

This is just my own worthless opinion, but why would a camera ever be shaky if it's not implying movement by the character or by the viewer?

Other than though this looked very good. I really liked the grade and the fundamentals of the visuals. The audio is quite good too.
      I just skipped through the whole thing hoping to land on stable shots but really didn't see any so I couldn't keep watching.
      __________________________________________________ ____________________
      Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
      Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
      Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
        Saw this earlier today...looks amazing to me.
        Small world, that's awesome! Thanks for the kind words.

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
        Beautiful.

But I can't watch it because of the shaky-cam thing.

Can people really watch this kind of stuff? Because I can't. I mean I just can't. It hurts my eyes and it gives me a headache.

I think maybe we should take a poll because I'll FREELY ADMIT that maybe it's just ME.
        But in a shot where the camera is not moving - why would it be shaky?

This is just my own worthless opinion, but why would a camera ever be shaky if it's not implying movement by the character or by the viewer?

Other than though this looked very good. I really liked the grade and the fundamentals of the visuals. The audio is quite good too.
        I just skipped through the whole thing hoping to land on stable shots but really didn't see any so I couldn't keep watching.
        Thanks for the feedback! Honestly I'm sure most people will have a problem with the shakiness, but we absolutely love handheld work & wanted to incorporate it into this for a "documentary" feel throughout. I do admit that an EasyRig would have been a huge help in most of the shots, but our budget was extremely limited since we self-funded everything & had major time constraints. The anamorphic ratio & lens weight didn't help the shakiness either. The handheld cinematography in "The Hurt Locker" was a big inspiration to us as far as camera work, even that was drastically more shaky in nearly every single shot. People still seemed to love the cinematography & filmmaking, so there must be a sizeable portion of the community who can appreciate this style somewhere. Either way, you're certainly entitled to your opinion & your honesty is much appreciated. Cheers!
        Last edited by lsstudios; 11-03-2015, 07:13 PM.

Comment

There is shaky handheld camera movement in every single Hollywood film (at some point) I have watched in my entire life...I thought it especially fit here as I felt a sense of urgency with the dialogue/VO.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
            There is shaky handheld camera movement in every single Hollywood film (at some point) I have watched in my entire life...I thought it especially fit here as I felt a sense of urgency with the dialogue/VO.
            Yes. When following along with a character or when the camera is being the eye of someone going along with the action - when the beholder eye is supposed to be part of the action. Absolutely appropriate.
            This has been done for decades. But also for decades within the same films any shot that doesn't fit the above criteria has generally been stabilized - this includes pans, cranes, dollies, and steadycam too - thus making up the vast majority of all the shots in a film. Generally speaking.
            __________________________________________________ ____________________
            Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
            Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
            Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

I won't comment on shaky camera or not, I think sometimes that is just to add some character or style to the image.

But on color/grading, for me it looks too dark, like the gamma is too low. i.e. The mid-tones are pulled down into the dark-tones and dark-tones pulled to black.
              Dennis Hingsberg

Comment

Beautiful piece. I love the look of F55 raw!

Comment

I also thought it looked amazing but had to stop watching one third in because of the shakiness and shaky camera movements going on all the time...
                  Sony FX9 | FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
                  FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 24/1.4, 50/1.8, 90/2.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
                  Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
                  Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
                  MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
                  Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Catalina

Comment

There's a good shake and there's a bad shake. In this piece it varies from shot to shot, but I have to agree: some shots are just awfully shaky. And I think it's not only that, camera movement on some of them is just to rapid. I've watched the whole piece and from the second half it is a lot smoother: and all together can actually work.

I think I've asked but will do again. Raw from F5 and F55 is exactly the same? 16bit?
                    FS7 & other

Comment

Yes 16-bit from both.
                      Dennis Hingsberg

Comment

Unwatchable and about nothing really.

Comment

I also found the sheer level of shakiness very hard to get through, only the pretty face kept me going to the end really. But the colours were gorgeous, can you tell us a bit about how you approached the grade, and what LUTs (if any) you used?
                          DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
                          www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

I enjoyed the piece. Some cool shots and great looking too. Would make a good fashion film.
                            "There is nothing permanent except change."
                            Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
                            TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
                            INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

Comment

Working...
                            X