No announcement yet.

Recommedation On Which Lens Next - FS5 MkII and FX6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I currently own the Sigma 20mm f1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4 and the 105 (macro) f2.8. I also own the Sony 70-200 f4 and the 200-600.

For interviews, I use the 50 1.4 (usually at f1.4) and I've had some real movers in the seat (who I've had to subdue with a tranquillizer gun ), but the lens has never missed focus on my FX6 (and on my A7IV). Same goes with the 85mm, I can shoot that wide open on face tracking and I have total confidence.

The only time I had a problem was with the Sigma 35mm f1.2 (filming at f1.2). It developed a very strange pulsing problem which I put down to a fault with the lens as the 4 months prior it had no problems. I sent that back and went with the newer 50mm f1.4 and have been happy since.

So, overall, I'm very happy with the Sigma lenses and will continue to use them in the future.
    --------------
    Neill P

Cameras:
    Sony FS7, EX1R, a6500 & Nikon D800

Comment

I Have also a set of 2.8 Sigmas: the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200.
      Plus the 105/2.8 macro and the 105/1.4. Those ones mainly in photo but they work fine on the FX6 and FX30

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Neidig View Post
        Hi! I'm looking for thoughts on which should be the next lens I buy.
        I dont get this.

The FS5 is S35 and manual focus

The FX6 is FF and auto focus

So the required lenses are completely different

To me S35 one should own 16mm ->200 and a fast 50
        To me FF one shold own 20mm ->200/300 and afast50

So a 16-35 is the closest t fillingholes now and future - I see you bought a 14-24. Hopefully that is full frame.

After getting proper wide, id get a fast 50 and then look for a 2.8 telephoto in time.

http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post

I dont get this.

The FS5 is S35 and manual focus

The FX6 is FF and auto focus

So the required lenses are completely different

To me S35 one should own 16mm ->200 and a fast 50
          To me FF one should own 20mm ->200/300 and afast50

So a 16-35 is the closest t fillingholes now and future - I see you bought a 14-24. Hopefully that is full frame.

After getting proper wide, id get a fast 50 and then look for a 2.8 telephoto in time.
          Yes, the FS5 is S35 but has autofocus (not as good as the FX6) and the FX6 is full frame. My intention is to have lenses that can be used now but be valuable when I eventually move to the FX6, or whatever full frame option is available when I am able to move up.

The only lens I currently have that is APS-C or made for S35 is the 18-105 that came as the kit lens. The other lenses I own or would be considering are full frame lenses.

Thanks for the input and for having me clarify a bit. I hadn't thought about a fast 50 but I certainly see where that could come in handy. The 24-70 covers that for now.

THANKS!

Rob

Comment

Personally I find there is a very hard split.. I like retro manual lenses for manual focus and I likke the latest AF lenses for AF cameras.

Really the only cross over is a 16-35 (or similar) that is useful for both chip sizes and focus feel/throw is not so important.

So the lens you got is the best option for spanning the systems

Yes everyone must have a 50 1) they make footage look cool 2)they solve problems in the dark 3) they are cheaper than good coffees.

http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Well, according to sonyalpharumors, Sony will release a 24-70 f/2. I'm happy to see them push in a less weight-restricted direction. Definitely preferable to a 24-70 f/2.8 IMO.
              www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Working...
              X