Sony FX6 and Heavier Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony FX6 and Heavier Glass

Coming from the FS7II, I really enjoyed having the locking E-mount for holding lenses like the 18-110 Cine Servo Zoom or even a 70-200 or 100-400.

With the FX6 not having a locking E-mount, I have been using lens support for my 28-135, 70-200 and 100-400. I was wondering if any of you ever worked with those lenses on the FX6 without lens support and if you thought that was a problem.

I don't mind lens support and would likely use it with the 100-400 anyway, but when shooting events for example where I'm moving fast and needing to swap between a 24-70, 70-200 and 28-135, lens support would really get in the way. I would love to use those lenses without it, but was curious if any of you had experienced problems with that. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

What kind of lens support are you using? Maybe it is overly complicated. I have several devices like this one that just cradle the lens. I just have to slide it forward or back a little on the rods when I change lenses so not to interfere with the operation of the lens rings. Takes about 2 seconds. Cradling the lens is good enough -- let gravity do the work.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...rsal_lens.html

BTW, I actually prefer the non-locking lens mount because it is faster and easier to use with a single hand. If given the choice, I'd rather have non-locking.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

I use that exact lens support (and it works great).

That said, I'm not always keen to use my FX6 with rods—in part because it adds so much weight and bulk (my rods are generally attached to a shoulder pad used in conjunction with a VCT plate).

So I'd be curious to see either minimalist setups with rods and lens support or alternative ideas for supporting heavier lenses.

I'm also curious to know the upper limit for the FX6 mount—I feel like the 28-135 is on the edge, but most 100-400s are firmly in the "too heavy" camp.

Comment

FWIW, I run the 28-135 and 100-400 (+ 2x Extender) without supports with no ill effects so far. I've seen no recommendations from Sony one way or another.

Comment

I had these same questions back with my FS7 Mark 1. The conclusion that I came to is that certain lenses did need support, but it wasn't just as simple as saying "any lens over X pounds" needs support. It depended upon the torque that the lens placed on the mount. A heavy, but short cinema lens might be okay. But a longer lens with the same weight needed support because it caused more torque. The issue isn't that the mount is going to beak, I don't think that will happen. But I did notice that flexing of the mount would cause focus problems on part of the image. As the lens flexed the mount, part of the rear element would physically become slightly farther from the sensor - thus causing focus issue on only part of the frame. It was easy to see on a monitor during testing. I decided to add support to any lens that felt like it ought to have it. On the FX6 I have followed the same philosophy and prefer to have support on most telephoto lenses, including the 100-400, 200-600, and 70-200. Will it always make a difference? No. But I like the peace of mind.
          Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
          HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
          http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

I have the full Wooden Camera Top Plate + Lens Adapter bracket on mine, to try and get a braced/rigid PL-mount on the camera. And even with all of that metal in place, there's still an egregious amount of flex in the PL-mount adapter (even with relatively lightweight lenses, like my Sigma Cine Primes.

That's left me with no option but to run a rail-mounted mattebox at all times, in order to brace the lenses firmly in place. And whilst I normally like to do that anyway, there are situations where it's limiting or problematic to have to do so.

So rails + lens support (or a mattebox you can clamp on to the lens at least) is a necessity.
            DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
            www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

Working...
            X