Sony FX6 stabilising in CB vs lens steadyshot and Resolve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony FX6 stabilising in CB vs lens steadyshot and Resolve

Did some quick tests during a break on a shoot last week and found that setting the lens steady shot ON and then stabilising in Resolve worked slightly better than stabilising in Catalyst Browse, which you can only do if the lens ss is off. Tried it on my 24-105 and 70-200, same result with both. Be interested to see if anyone else has made this comparison and if your results agree. The bigger bonus was the time saved stabilising shots in CB, which adds a ton of time with more than a handful of shots.

I haven't done any rigorous side by side testing but in general I find Steady Shot to be pretty solid, even on its own. The big benefit of Catalyst Browse is being able to stabilize lenses without Steady Shot. Anytime I have a lens with OSS I rely on that, rather than trusting the results of gyro in post.

I really want to like the gyro-stabilization in post option, but as you note it just adds a ton of time unless you're only doing it for a handful of shots. Sony needs to figure out a better way of implementing this feature (like integrating it with the major NLEs).

Comment

...and Sony really needs to work out how to use Gyro Data combined with OSS on as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jmone View Post
        ...and Sony really needs to work out how to use Gyro Data combined with OSS on as well.
        Is that even possible? The way I conceptualize of it: the camera records its own movement, which will be counteracted in software. But it doesn't know what the OSS was doing. If you use both, you will likely overcorrect the motion.

So, I suppose that if the camera could record what the OSS was doing in addition to how the camera was moving, then maybe it would work... but I'm not sure that the lenses are designed to record that information
        www.VideoAbe.com

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." -Harvey

Comment

It's just wishful thinking on my part! I do know that the the Body is aware that OSS is on (as catalyst complains that there is not enough Gyro Data if OSS is on). If the Lens passes any actual stabilisation data to the body, I don't know. It may be possible that a FW Update (lens and body) may be able to record both sets of data.

Comment

Working...
          X