Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NorBro
    replied
    Yeah, that's part of the great transition. Although cinematographers didn't use digital cameras until later.

But at least in the 80s/90s, you could buy something. Most people did not even have access to motion picture film equipment before the digital years.

Leave a comment:

• DLD
    replied
    Originally posted by NorBro View Post
    A lot of us here started video production in a great transitional time that will never exist again. A block of 20, 30, 40 years consisting of the most dramatic camera/technological changes in history...
    Digital cameras got into the "high end consumer/low end pro" range sometime in the late 00's. Prior to that, they were very pricey and reserved for the established pros and the big money cinematographers. That lasted about a decade. Now, it's entering the "iPhone" era.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Nah, wasn't implying that because he never mentioned which model he has.

If anything, I was more defending that the FS7 was a decent camera for the time since the OP sounded a little down on it.

And, yes, if I had a FS7 it could be replaced by an a7SIII, but it can't for you because you view them as different tools and you personally choose not to. It's a personal choice.

I also said in parentheses (although it doesn't work for everyone and their own work and career aspirations) if you missed it.

Leave a comment:

• ahalpert
    replied
    Aren't you implying that the FS7 is better than a lumix g camera, but the lumix g is good enough? Whereas I would say that the lumix g is probably better in terms of IQ. But just good enough in terms of body design and I/O. And no, my A7SIII can't replace my FS7 because they're different tools. It's not a personal choice

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    There's no specific conclusion there so not really sure what you're saying.

It's a thought that many people realize something is "good enough" for them and it can do the job just as well.

Your FS7 can be replaced by your a7SIII but you personally choose not to replace it.

Once you enter personal semantics, there are no conclusions for anything.

Leave a comment:

• ahalpert
    replied
    Originally posted by NorBro View Post
    A lot of us here started video production in a great transitional time that will never exist again. A block of 20, 30, 40 years consisting of the most dramatic camera/technological changes in history.

The FS7 was a really great camera considering its specifications and who it was coming from at the time for the price, but the "good enough" conclusion is one I personally had years ago and I think many others eventually do as well (although it doesn't work for everyone and their own work and career aspirations).
    I don't think that's entirely the correct conclusion because they're not replacing the fs7 with an f x 6. Either you need the xlr inputs and the ND filters and the video camera body or you don't. There's a reason why I use my a7s three more than my fs7. But when I need my fs7, it can't be replaced by an A7 S3. So I think it really depends on if you're solely concerned with image quality and usability or if you have specific gig and client requests and needs

Leave a comment:

• scorsesefan
    replied
    Currently selling my FS7 (DVX marketplace) because I'm not using it enough. I find myself using my A7SIII much more now. Unlike most of you guys I bought it recently (last year) and I probably should have waited to see what was coming i.e. the FX6, as to better match my A7SIII... It's still a capable camera and a good show for clients. I won't let myself be lowballed -- I'd rather keep it and use it on occasion.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    A lot of us here started video production in a great transitional time that will never exist again. A block of 20, 30, 40 years consisting of the most dramatic camera/technological changes in history.

The FS7 was a really great camera considering its specifications and who it was coming from at the time for the price, but the "good enough" conclusion is one I personally had years ago and I think many others eventually do as well (although it doesn't work for everyone and their own work and career aspirations).

Leave a comment:

• ahalpert
    replied
    Hahaha agreed I won't miss my fs7 either once it outlives its usefulness but that day has not come quite yet

Leave a comment:

• bengiles
    replied
    I did a similar thing 3 years back. Started using a GH5 and GH5S and realised how much better they were for me than the FS7.

The only thing I missed was the internal ND.

I'm awaiting the GH6 with interest.

Oh, and I've barley used a tripod since shooting the GH5/S - the dual IBIS on the 12-35, 35-100 and 42.5 is so good, it's too much faff pulling out the tripod. I can get rock solid, spookily static, shots hand held.

Ben.

Leave a comment:

• Publimix
    started a topic Sold my FS7 today

Sold my FS7 today

Sold my FS7 todyay. When I bought it I hoped it would last 10 years. And maybe it could. But... The FS7 was good, not stunning. Did the job. My B cam was a panasonic Lumix G camera. That is the one I didn't sell. Why? I had lower expectations on the panasonic camera. But the camera performed better than expected.
    My expectations were high for the FS7, but it was never better than expected.
    In the meantime I gathered more and more gear. Sold that too.

Conclusion, for me the FS7 was a 'middle end' camera, overkill for the jobs I do today. What I need now is a 'good-enough' camera that is light and small. One bright light two light and small tripods and a set of 'good enough' wireless lavaliers. That is what I need today. No car needed, just one bag with gear.

I also sold the Sachtler 15 carbon tripod, for the same amount I bought it. I'll miss the Sachtler, the joy of working with good gear. (And that isn't the thing I will miss from the FS7).

Working...
X