No announcement yet.

Sold my FS7 today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed that Full Compass here in the US got some in stock this morning but I passed because Payboo will save me $500 if I keep my order at BH.

Comment

Hey guys - Have any of you guys agonized about letting your FS7 go?

I haven't chimed pretty much since the pandemic lockdown. About eight weeks before the pandemic hit, I had just put my FS7 on the market (admittedly at a much higher price than I could get now) with just 397 hours on it — but potential buyers dried up during lockdown. Given a whole bunch of issues surrounding the pandemic, unfortunately the FS7 remained in its bag ever since (let alone largely since a shoot pretty much 4 years ago) and I wound up not actually selling it.

Fast forward 18 months, and my situation has changed even more so. I’m thinking of downsizing more than ever, and holding off on a solid replacement (like an FX6 — although the ND, AF, and XLR inputs are very compelling) until such a time when I’m regularly filming again. I’m one-man-band who’s working on my own projects and can’t compete with everyone else here in the Boston area - so any camera would be more for a long-term project as opposed to a major moneymaker. I do use an A6600 for light stuff and could probably get away with that until the need for a major camera resurfaces.

Lens-wise, I’m using a Sigma 16 f/1.4 and a Sony 30 f/1.8 (especially for AF on my A6600) and 2x Metabones (one a speedbooster) with a Canon 24-105L f/4 IS and a 16-35L f/4 IS. I have loved the S35 look - which apparently goes away in 4K on the FX6.

Now that used prices appear to be dipping under 3K (I spent about 5.5K for it), I’m wondering if I should just keep it around (despite the depreciation) or try to sell it again and just get what I can for it now…and revisit the situation later. Again, an FX6 seems incredible — but way too pricey if I’m only going to lightly use it in the near future.

Thanks for your advice!

Comment

I'd always have a listing up just to see what happens. Can't hurt and you might learn from it.

But either way, $3K is $3K. If you need the money, sell it.

If not, save it and use it as a B camera forever (or as long as you can).

Can't go too wrong here, IMO.

Comment

I made the decision to sell my fs7 because I wasn't using it. I found myself more times than not with my a7siii in my hands. The a7siii is especially useful to me given that I live in the city and transporting gear to and from shoots is a PITA, especially when using public transit. The a7siii is an inconspicuous mini cinema camera. That said I'm on the list for an FX6, mainly for shoots that I can drive to, to pair with my a7siii and, to be frank, impress clients who would otherwise frown upon a DSLR form factor.

FYI here are the numbers on my FS7: I purchased it in 2020 in "like new" condition, 40hrs on it, from Adorama for $4300 (including tax). I bought 2 120gb XQD cards ($400) and 1 64gb ($150) and a few accessories incl. the Shape extension handle (about $200). So all told about $5000 and I sold it a few weeks ago for $3750 on CL. But, hey, I wasn't using it and the fx6 will better suit my needs at this moment...

Comment

Fantastic comments, guys! What a huge help. Thanks. Anyone else want to weigh in?

scorsesefan -- that's a HUGE help per accurately pricing out the FS7 kit I've got here. BTW - If you do have anyone who was a CL runner-up and still wants an FS7 kit, please steer them my way!

Comment

Originally posted by thoomp View Post
              Fantastic comments, guys! What a huge help. Thanks. Anyone else want to weigh in?

scorsesefan -- that's a HUGE help per accurately pricing out the FS7 kit I've got here. BTW - If you do have anyone who was a CL runner-up and still wants an FS7 kit, please steer them my way!
              There were a few tire kickers on CL, but he was the only serious buyer. If I hear of someone I'll let you know... I think Norbro has some great advice and his philosophy on selling items is right on and one that I follow. If you're not desperate to sell, keep the stuff up and have a bottom line price in mind. Eventually the right buyer will come along at a price you can live with. In my case I found a local buyer who wanted to stay away from Ebay. IMO Ebay can be your worst enemy because it generally is buyer friendly and drives values down on certain items. I would recommend selling locally or here on dvxuser...
              Last edited by scorsesefan; 09-13-2021, 05:58 PM.

Comment

thank you

Comment

BTW scorsesefan I was thinking about our conversation about selling out canon kit 2 weeks ago when I got a rental on my canon L 24-70 and 70- 200. 3-camera concert shoot (2 FS7 and 1 A7SIII) and the producer wanted to use all Canon L lenses for a better color match (and because the other owner/op had some too). Score one for procrastinating on selling them! But now the trouble is I'll probably hang on to them forever hoping for one last rental....
                  www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                    BTW scorsesefan I was thinking about our conversation about selling out canon kit 2 weeks ago when I got a rental on my canon L 24-70 and 70- 200. 3-camera concert shoot (2 FS7 and 1 A7SIII) and the producer wanted to use all Canon L lenses for a better color match (and because the other owner/op had some too). Score one for procrastinating on selling them! But now the trouble is I'll probably hang on to them forever hoping for one last rental....
                    Yeah, it's tempting to keep them... I just sold my 24-105 but nothing but a few nibbles on the 70-200 and 17-55 2.8. I guess EF glass isn't in vogue?

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post

Yeah, it's tempting to keep them... I just sold my 24-105 but nothing but a few nibbles on the 70-200 and 17-55 2.8. I guess EF glass isn't in vogue?
                      If I sell them, I'm just going to dump them on eBay for auction or for a fixed price whatever the average sale price is. And just take the eBay hit. But I don't know. Today I reached for my 70 to 200 just because it has image stabilization and my Tamron 70-180 doesn't. I'll be using it's on the fs7 for cut – ins on a product discussion shoot. Considering how little I might make from selling it, I'm leaning more and more towards keeping it. I sort of feel the same way about my beat-up old C300 and 5D Mark 3. They're virtually useless to me now but they're also virtually worthless
                      www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

If I had my fs7 I would keep them. With the a7siii/fx6 losing AF with EF glass is a bummer. I figure I'll sell them and pick up one or two high utility E mount lenses like the 24-105...BTW my Philosophy on selling gear is if you're in a large metropolitan area steer clear of Ebay and its ridiculous fees and stick to CL..

Comment

Craigslist would probably be smart. Of course then I have to meet up with them and it's hard for me to get anywhere extra these days because my wife always wants me home to help with the baby if I'm not working. I don't have the 24 to 105 but I would maybe recommend the 28 to 1:35 if you want a utility lens. I got mine used for like $1,200. I don't love it but I don't hate it. In a similar vein, I recommend the sigma 24 to 70 which I do actually love as a mid-range Zoom although for a lot of things I shoot these days I use my 50 GM instead of the 24 to 70 but only if and when I really don't need to zoom. But like 4 weddings and interviews I totally lean on the 50 instead of the 24 to 70 when I need a normal lens. For what it's worth, the sigma 24-70 has better autofocus t h a n t h e 28th to 1:35 either because it's newer or because the 28-135 is heavier. I don't know about the 24 to 105 although it probably does better than the 28 to 1:35. Which e – mount lenses do you have?
                          www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Yeah, meeting up with CL buyers is a bit PITA... I'm looking for an R&G lens -- is the 28-135 a little bulky for that purpose? Do you use the Sigma on your a7siii? If so are you able to AF? Thanks

Comment

I find the Sony 24-105mm to be a great R&G, general use lens for Sony FF cameras. I wish it had a little more reach but constant f4 is nice and the size/weight are very reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by drboffa View Post
                                I find the Sony 24-105mm to be a great R&G, general use lens for Sony FF cameras. I wish it had a little more reach but constant f4 is nice and the size/weight are very reasonable.
                                How do you find it in low light on your FX6? I just love my Tamron 28-75 on my a7siii in low light conditions but it's non-IS and prob wouldn't use off sticks on an fx6...

Comment

Working...
                                X