Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other: Winner winner, chicken dinner

Whoever can tell me what “EC” means in the Sony FX9 display wins a prize

It is displayed above the video signal monitor, to the left of “LUT s709”.
    Sachtler tripod user for 40+ years.

EC.jpg

Comment

NorBro to the rescue!

thnx much

I owe u a prize

Comment

Where did u find that info?

Sony manual?

Comment

Yeah, I initially searched EC but that didn't work too well (hundreds of combos), so then I searched EC with quotes around it ("EC") and one hit came back.

Fortunately they wrote it in the manual in quotes and not italics. (Although there may be an option to search just italics.)

Comment

I still don’t fully understand it.

I was told it is because the camera is in 17:9 but outputting 16:9

If I reduce resolution to 3840 “EC” goes away.

Something to do with s35 mode on FF sensor? I thought I recall seeing “edge crop” on my Fs7. Hmmmm.

Comment

I'm not really sure but my guess is the camera doesn't output 4K DCI in that certain mode and only UHD, so the 17:9 and 16:9 visual discrepancy seems like it's correct as it's notifying you with "EC" when they don't match (DCI vs. UHD...4096 × 2160 vs. 3840 × 2160), and disappears when the camera recording mode is back to UHD/16:9 to match the 16:9 output.

You're cropping some pixels when they don't match, so EC - Edge Cropping - makes sense.

Comment

Are you in FF or s35 crop mode .. if s35 , what about changing to FF mode , its still there .. ?

Comment

By “doesn’t output 4K DCI” does that mean I am not recording in 4096x2160 even though the camera is set to 4096 and the VF display says 4096?

I understand that “EC” is telling me there is edge crop happening, but why is it alerting me of that? Or, put another way, why do I care? Is it telling me that the frame edges are different than what I see in the VF? If so, why not just grey-out the edge that isn’t being recorded?

And why 17x9? Why would anything be in 17x9 and not 16x9?

I need to learn more, obviously. The video engineers don’t make it easy. “Let’s give them two types of 4K, neither of which will actually be 4K. And there won’t ever be any actual 4K.” Yeah, thanks gents.

Comment

I don't know how it works in the FX9, but most cameras on the market only output UHD.

So when you are recording DCI 4K in some of these cameras which offer it and also want to output a 4K image to an external monitor, your only choice for the output is UHD (for most).

It seems like the FX9 - being the professional tool that it is - is telling you that you are recording DCI 4K but your output is UHD.

It doesn't affect your recording; it's just a courtesy note.

___

DCI 4K is 17x9 because it's slightly wider than traditional UHD which is 16x9.

If you're doing TV, you most likely want 16x9 and not 17x9. (But the world changes quickly so maybe that's a standard now for everyday work as well.)

And you want to know ("EC") that the edges are different just in case someone is seeing something different than what you are seeing in your VF (like for precise framing).

Comment

So the only way to record in 4K DCI on the FX9 is in 17x9?

If I want to record in 16x9 I have to sacrifice 4096x2160 and record in 3840 × 2160, or what I have nicknamed “untrue 4K”?

I miss the days when the only thing you had to choose was the frame rate.

Comment

Btw, thank you for assisting me in my education, NB.

As soon as you think you know this stuff you realize you don’t. I’m starting to think it impossible to ever know it all. They keep throwing more stuff at us faster than one can keep up. I’m still trying to wrap my head around this “4K from 6K” thing. A “6K camera” that cannot record in 6K. Alrighty then. Makes perfect sense.

Comment

Originally posted by JPNola View Post
                          By “doesn’t output 4K DCI” does that mean I am not recording in 4096x2160 even though the camera is set to 4096 and the VF display says 4096?

I understand that “EC” is telling me there is edge crop happening, but why is it alerting me of that? Or, put another way, why do I care? Is it telling me that the frame edges are different than what I see in the VF? If so, why not just grey-out the edge that isn’t being recorded?

And why 17x9? Why would anything be in 17x9 and not 16x9?

I need to learn more, obviously. The video engineers don’t make it easy. “Let’s give them two types of 4K, neither of which will actually be 4K. And there won’t ever be any actual 4K.” Yeah, thanks gents.
                          DCI can only be 17-9, its for theater release ..Digital Cinema Initiatives .. 16-9 is a TV format .. been around for ages .. the f5/55 had it .. and even the fs7.. I believe ..

Comment

So the only way to record in 4K DCI on the FX9 is in 17x9?

If I want to record in 16x9 I have to sacrifice 4096x2160 and record in 3840 × 2160, or what I have nicknamed “untrue 4K”?

I miss the days when the only thing you had to choose was the frame rate.
                            16x9 is only UHD.

16x9 DCI only exists in post-production. In the camera, it's 17x9. (It has to be...it's a tiny bit bigger than UHD.)

The specs say UHD is possible so I'd just use that if you're not sure what to use for work:

3840 x 2160p at 23.98/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps (240 to 600 Mb/s)

___

Anything around 4,000 pixels is 4K.

UHD and DCI will both look identical and no one in the world would notice the difference.

Comment

Btw, thank you for assisting me in my education, NB.

As soon as you think you know this stuff you realize you don’t. I’m starting to think it impossible to ever know it all. They keep throwing more stuff at us faster than one can keep up. I’m still trying to wrap my head around this “4K from 6K” thing. A “6K camera” that cannot record in 6K. Alrighty then. Makes perfect sense.
                              It's oversampling...ARRI made the process famous in the ALEXA, which is why their HD/2K looked so good.

Now 10 years later, technology has caught up and you can get it in a $500 camera.

In short, you get better lower resolutions from higher resolutions.

But paper resolution isn't everything; C300 Mark II's 2K 4:4:4 looks better than its UHD.

Comment

Working...
                              X