The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cristian Mihai View Post

Just got my FX6 and digging this thread. How is your experience with Batis lenses on the FX6?
    Sweet deal on the 85mm, 24-hours, but may reappear again at some point.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tis_short.html

Comment

I don't know anything about that particular lens, but in terms of general advice about choosing lenses for the FX6, you should really investigate how well the AF focus works with the FX6. Even if you don't think you care about AF today, it ought to be a big factor in the purchase decision for any lens you're looking at. Personally, I wouldn't buy any non-Sony lens unless I have the opportunity to test it myself. Just my 2 cents.
      Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
      HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
      http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

My FX6 finally arrived yesterday, replacing my old FS7 (can’t believe I’ve had that since November 2014!).

So I’ve been doing some trials with it (as you do) and noticed that my old FS7 z-finder works very well, no flopping (even with the viewfinder up and away from the screen). Which is nice.

On a recent topic, all of my Sigma glass seems to track perfectly. I have the 20mm f1.4, the 35mm f1.2 and the 105mm f2.8 macro (all DG DN). The focus works incredibly quick (I’ve been using them on my recently acquired A7 IV).
        --------------
        Neill P

Cameras:
        Sony FS7, EX1R, a6500 & Nikon D800

Comment

Originally posted by epicdream View Post
          noticed that my old FS7 z-finder works very well, no flopping (even with the viewfinder up and away from the screen). .
          That's interesting. Sony must have beefed up the mount on the newer cameras because my first LCD mount was so floppy a fly landing on it would make it droop. They replaced it with one that is only marginally better. Now tt can support the weight of two flies before it droops.

Comment

How are we all feeling about our chances that Sony FINALLY updates the FX6 to provide the same LCD monitoring layout that the FX3 now has? (with all the display info clutter, kept off the image you're trying to compose)?
            DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
            www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

I haven't seen the FX3 display, so maybe I would like it better, but I have no complaints about the FX6's display.

What do you get if you connect a 3rd party EVF to the FX3, does all that info that has been shoved to the perimeter still come through?
              On the A1 you don't get ****. Flying blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
                I haven't seen the FX3 display, so maybe I would like it better, but I have no complaints about the FX6's display.

What do you get if you connect a 3rd party EVF to the FX3, does all that info that has been shoved to the perimeter still come through?
                On the A1 you don't get ****. Flying blind.
                On the FX3 you can send the display info through to an external monitor. But it sends it in a 4:3 wrapper (as all their mirrorless cameras seem to), so you end up with a tiny monitoring image anyway. So not really usable.

The only real solution seems to be something like the Portkeys LHP5ii (or whatever it's called), that wirelessly controls the camera. That gives you a full monitoring image, and camera info (shutter/ISO/iris at least).

A display output mode on the FX6/FX9 that mirrors the FX3's new onboard layout, or the Venice's display output (with info on top/bottom/sides), would be a HUGE leap forward in usability. Particularly for anyone using the cameras' autofocus abilities (and having had the camera for a while now, I've learnt that it's a MUCH more satisfying package when used in an autofocus configuration, than trying to jury-rig it into a conventional cinema-lens build.
                DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
                www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by epicdream View Post
                  noticed that my old FS7 z-finder works very well, no flopping (even with the viewfinder up and away from the screen). Which is nice.
                  Also interested in this. The LCD on my FX6 (bought nearly two years ago) will flop around under any kind of weight. I've got the FX9 loupe which works great except that there is NO WAY the LCD hinge could support its weight without flopping. I bought the Vocas monitor support kit which works but it means you can't fold away the screen when the camera isn't in use: https://www.vocas.com/vocas-lcd-moni...-sony-fx6.html

Has anyone bought an FX6 more recently that doesn't seem to have this problem? If so, I might send the camera back to Sony for an upgrade or just see if I can order the part.
                  Last edited by Andy9; 11-20-2022, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy9 View Post

Also interested in this. The LCD on my FX6 (bought nearly two years ago) will flop around under any kind of weight. I've got the FX9 loupe which works great except that there is NO WAY the LCD hinge could support its weight without flopping. I bought the Vocas monitor support kit which works but it means you can't fold away the screen when the camera isn't in use: https://www.vocas.com/vocas-lcd-moni...-sony-fx6.html
                    I'm in the exact same boat—my FX6 (received early 2021) suffers from the floppy LCD support. The Vocas is built like a tank, almost to a fault; I sometimes worry it is sturdier than everything around it. It's great for use with the FX9 loupe but overkill otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by drboffa View Post

I'm in the exact same boat—my FX6 (received early 2021) suffers from the floppy LCD support. The Vocas is built like a tank, almost to a fault; I sometimes worry it is sturdier than everything around it. It's great for use with the FX9 loupe but overkill otherwise.
                      Oh absolutely. If I get caught in some freak volcano eruption while filming and then dug up again in the year 4022 they'll wonder what I was doing with a damping hinge.

Comment

Originally posted by Grug View Post

On the FX3 you can send the display info through to an external monitor. But it sends it in a 4:3 wrapper (as all their mirrorless cameras seem to), so you end up with a tiny monitoring image anyway. So not really usable.
                        I did not know that. And Sony has the nerve to call the FX3 and FX30 "cinema" cameras??

This basically makes the FX3 and FX30 completely useless to me. I can’t shoot with any camera that doesn't have an EVF. Period. So if I can’t output a display from the FX3 or FX30 that has the superimposed data that I need to see while operating, that is a deal breaker.

At least the mirrorless cameras (A1, A7, etc.) have a built-in OLED EVF that looks very good. The problem though, is you can’t rotate the EVF to a more comfortable shooting position when the camera isn’t positioned right at eyeball height.

Every time I compare the FX6 to Sony’s other cameras, it always comes out ahead.
                        Last edited by Doug Jensen; 11-21-2022, 07:34 AM.

Comment

I am just buying a sony fx6 and am curious whether it is really true that in qhd or dci 4k you cant record 10bit long gop??!!!!??? So odd!
                          Remembers me on my old fs5 which could only record 10bit in fhd....
                          I need 4k long gop 10bit. This is really strange

Comment

Originally posted by jakobdvx View Post
                            I need 4k long gop 10bit. This is really strange
                            Why do you need 4K 10-bit Long-GOP? That would be right near the very bottom of the list of things I need.
                            Last edited by Doug Jensen; 12-02-2022, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post

Why do you need 4K 10-bit Long-GOP? That would be right near the very bottom of the list of things I need.
                              It's actually something I would quite value for a particular tranche of my shooting work. Iregularly shoot premieres for the English National Ballet, with 4/5 camera setups. I often use an FX6 as a necessarily unmanned static wide cam magic-armed onto the balcony, as some of the shows have too much dynamic range in their lighting states to shoot safely without the auto-ND set to slow transition. The amount of data generated from 5 cameras over a 2hr show means that we're often waiting long after midnight for the cams to all download, hence 50% lighter rushes are valuable.

From my understanding of the strengths of long-GOP compression, it deals very well with scenes with large areas without significant motion detail (e.g. a big wide of a stage, often with a small group of dancers in the middle), and certainly visually/empirically the XAVC-L looks great in this context. The processing load on the edits is no longer a problem in the age of M1 and M2 Macs and Resolve, so XAVC-L would is very appealing, but only if it is 10bit.

As a side note - are you sure the FX6 DOESN'T shoot 10-bit XAVC-L in UHD? I thought it did.

Hmmmmmmm, J
                              ----------------
                              Freelance Site: www.Opticalism.com/jason
                              Company Site: www.Opticalism.com
                              Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/jasonbrooks/videos
                              Africa Blog: www.Opticalism.com/travels

Sum Ergo Edo.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonbrooks View Post
                                As a side note - are you sure the FX6 DOESN'T shoot 10-bit XAVC-L in UHD? I thought it did.
                                The only Sony cinema/ENG camera that has a 10-bit 4K Long-GOP codec is the PXW-Z750. That codec is called XAVC-L200 and it also 4:2:2.

Are you shooting with S-LOG or doing other heavy grading in post? Because if you aren't, I would wager that you cannot see any visual difference between 4K XAVC-I and XAVC-L. The advantages of 10-bit 4:2:2 are only going to play a role if you heavily grade in post. Straight out of the camera, you will not see any visual difference 99.9% of the time.

Don't believe me? Do your own blind test and see if you can tell the difference. I'll bet you can't.

Comment

Working...
                                X