No announcement yet.

The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Doug that's really impressive footage and thanks also for the recommendation. Those smooth, consistent pans in "Moto cross" are exactly what I struggle with using the Sachtler Ace.

"Sounds like you outgrew it a few years ago and just have been slow to replace it with something better"

I think this is absolutely right. I've earned consistently decent money over the last few years but it's still taken some conscious effort to get myself out of a scarcity mindset. It's not like I grew up in the depression or anything but I dunno.. call it 1970s austerity.

In the last year I've bought some things that seemed like frivolous luxuries until I used them on a job for the first time. Then I felt utterly foolish for having done without for so long. One example is having a decent EVF setup on any camera that I'm using for work. Somehow, I've only just realised that being able to comfortably see what I'm filming is a whatever-it-costs kind of thing rather than a nice-to-have.

I've got a one-week doc shoot this month and before then I'll be buying a new tripod and also the Sony 70-200 f/2.8 ii. If anyone out there has any other suggestions for an excellent, lightweight tripod apart from the Aktiv8/Flowtech75 then please let me know, but that is currently top of the list. It's for an unrigged FX6 (and sometimes a7Siii) - I'm wondering if the Aktiv6 will be enough (or preferable for such a light setup) so please let me know if you've got experience with it.
    Last edited by Andy9; 05-04-2022, 10:10 PM.

Comment

The Miller Compass CX6 or CX8 are great for an FX6, especially with the carbon Solo legs.

Been looking at the Cartoni Focus 10 as well.
      ----------------------------------------------------------

My reel
      Website

Comment

I used an Aktiv10 for the first time last night. You have to love the quick and easy release for balancing. Genius. Having a level bubble available from side view was great when going all the way up, although I imagine other heads may share that feature. The flowtech legs' release mechanism were a little unnerving, but I'm sure I could get used to it - and it's wonderful to be able to slide right through the midpoint on the legs without releasing a second mechanism.
        www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I tried an Aktiv8 / Flowtech 75 yesterday at a local rental place. I agree, it's really slick - both the legs and the super fast and easy levelling of the head. I wanted it. Coming from a cheaper Sachtler, it was striking how much stiffer the fluid head was. On the heaviest drag it initially felt like it might be too stiff for smooth panning - nope, it was excellent.

The staff at the rental place were a bit less enthusiastic as it "feels plasticky". I don't think they've had any kind of bad experience, they just didn't have the long-term confidence in it that they have in the FSB heads. They were even more definite about the Flowtech legs being too fragile, at least for rental - "Should be fine for single owner as you can take care of them" and they don't plan to get any more. As I say, I'm pretty sure these were superficial impressions rather than the fruits of bitter experience but it did give me pause.

It's still top of the list though. There is a lot of overlap between "Lasts forever" and "Built like a tank" but they're not synonymous. I'd be more inclined to trust that Sachtler have done their homework and are using lighter materials without compromising on longevity.

Comment

I can say as a Flowtech 100 owner that these legs are pretty dang tough. I tend to be pretty careful with my gear, but tripods are often one of the tools that definitely take more of a beating. It's just kind of the nature of working with them. Yet in the past two years I've owned the Flowtech 100 sticks, they are holding up perfectly. They've given me no reason to think they are built to a weaker standard, so I wouldn't worry about what the staff said at the store you were at.

My only gripe with the Flowtech sticks are that they are noisy. When you close them, when you adjust their height, they are just loud. My Sachtler TT 75/2 CF sticks by contrast don't make any noise. When this becomes a problem is when filming wildlife or when filming during a live event. Wildlife is when I notice it the most though. It's workable, but you have to be extra careful when setting up to make sure nothing hears it.
            Last edited by Joshua Milligan; 05-12-2022, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Joshua, I agree completely with both of your points. I have four Flowtech tripods and they are all extremely well-made and tough. And I also agree they can be a lot noisier than other tripods until someone gets used to them. It takes a little more care and a different technique to do it quietly, but it's not a deal breaker by any means. The speed advantage of quick setups for capturing wildlife is well worth the small trade-off in sound. Another thing I like about the Flowtechs is their short length. They really fit into the back of a vehicle or into luggage so much easier.
              Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
              HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
              http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
                Joshua, I agree completely with both of your points. I have four Flowtech tripods and they are all extremely well-made and tough. And I also agree they can be a lot noisier than other tripods until someone gets used to them. It takes a little more care and a different technique to do it quietly, but it's not a deal breaker by any means. The speed advantage of quick setups for capturing wildlife is well worth the small trade-off in sound. Another thing I like about the Flowtechs is their short length. They really fit into the back of a vehicle or into luggage so much easier.
                Yeah I agree, it's not a deal breaker, just something you have to be aware of and more careful with. I also think being able to get extremely low with them is another selling point for capturing wildlife in addition to the speed. That's actually one of the reasons I want to trade my FSB 10 and FSB 8 in for an aktiv10 and aktiv8. The Flowtech/aktiv combo literally gets your tripod down to the ground. It's pretty slick.

I also agree that the shorter length is great. I fly mine quite a bit and it packs up quite small inside of my ThinkTank Video Tripod Manager 44, leaving a ton of room for carrying other gear inside of the roller case.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy9 View Post
                  Thanks for your replies. I tried an Aktiv8 / Flowtech 75 yesterday at a local rental place. I agree, it's really slick - both the legs and the super fast and easy levelling of the head. I wanted it. Coming from a cheaper Sachtler, it was striking how much stiffer the fluid head was. On the heaviest drag it initially felt like it might be too stiff for smooth panning - nope, it was excellent.

The staff at the rental place were a bit less enthusiastic as it "feels plasticky". I don't think they've had any kind of bad experience, they just didn't have the long-term confidence in it that they have in the FSB heads. They were even more definite about the Flowtech legs being too fragile, at least for rental - "Should be fine for single owner as you can take care of them" and they don't plan to get any more. As I say, I'm pretty sure these were superficial impressions rather than the fruits of bitter experience but it did give me pause.

It's still top of the list though. There is a lot of overlap between "Lasts forever" and "Built like a tank" but they're not synonymous. I'd be more inclined to trust that Sachtler have done their homework and are using lighter materials without compromising on longevity.
                  I have known a bunch of Flowtech 75 owners complaining about plastic made parts snapping. I believe those in question were fixed for the 100mm version and presumably the Aktiv version.
                  ----------------------------------------------------------

My reel
                  Website

Comment

It would be cool if there were a single release mechanism that unlocked all 3 legs. Just a thought
                    www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                      It would be cool if there were a single release mechanism that unlocked all 3 legs. Just a thought
                      That's exactly how my classic OConnor 35L legs work. It is like magic when people see me use it because all three legs are released with just a very imperceptible sideways movement of my thumbs. It doesn't even look like I'm doing anything, yet all three legs independently retract or expand as much or as little as I want. Unfortunately, the 35L hasn't been made for about 20 years, even though mine is still going strong. In fact, it was my lobbying of OConnor for several years to bring back the 35L that got me hooked up with them as a beta tester on the Flowtech tripods. The 35L is still the better tripod, but the Flowtechs are the next best thing. And I do like the shorter length of the Flowtechs, so there is that.
                      Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
                      HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
                      http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                        Remember the Sachtler Hot Pod, which had, IIRC, a single release?
                        https://www.sachtler.com/en/sachtler...14/c-26/p-1442

The story I heard is one guy/station here got a Hot Pod and liked it enough, and got oohs and ahhs in this Vinten town. But then one day the pneumatic center column catastrophically failed with a camera on it. And that was the end of Hot Pod envy around here. I don't know what really happened, but seems like they didn't catch on. And perhaps the Hot Pod made Sachtler kind of shy about trying single release again. Or maybe it's just too expensive to implement correctly. But yes, it sure would be cool.

5385-14_image_1_hot-pod-cf.jpg
                        ----------
                        Jim Feeley
                        POV Media

Comment

I love my sachtler Hot pod !!!!!!!

Comment

How well does non stabilised lens like the new SELP1635G work on the FX6 when handheld? I've always tried to get OSS lens but I'm wondering if as you get wider, it gets less important? Currently I've the (old) Zeiss OSS 16-35 but like PZ.

Comment

Originally posted by jmone View Post
                              How well does non stabilised lens like the new SELP1635G work on the FX6 when handheld? I've always tried to get OSS lens but I'm wondering if as you get wider, it gets less important? Currently I've the (old) Zeiss OSS 16-35 but like PZ.
                              It's definitely less important as you get wider. Plus, the FX6 has the fantastic gyro sensor data feature so you can stabilize in Catalyst Browse after your shoot if for some reason you aren't happy with the amount of movement in your shots. But, to be honest, if you balance the camera well, add a little weight to it and practice a proper handheld shooting technique, you won't need OSS or the gyro sensor data, especially with a wide lens.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Milligan View Post

It's definitely less important as you get wider. Plus, the FX6 has the fantastic gyro sensor data feature so you can stabilize in Catalyst Browse after your shoot if for some reason you aren't happy with the amount of movement in your shots. But, to be honest, if you balance the camera well, add a little weight to it and practice a proper handheld shooting technique, you won't need OSS or the gyro sensor data, especially with a wide lens.
                                I've had limited success with Catalyst Browse, probably owing to the fact that I like to keep my shutter speed at 1/48 and I almost always shoot at 24fps which creates a weird motion effect when stabilized in Catalyst. TBH I've only tried it with my a7siii. If you shoot at 180 on the FX6 can you avoid this?

Comment

Working...
                                X