The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drboffa View Post

I would *really* appreciate it if the camera didn't turn Proxy recording off when switching in and out of S&Q mode; I know the camera won't do proxies in S&Q (which is fine), but it should at least revert to the user's choice (in my case, Proxies "on") when exiting S&Q mode.
    Agreed about S&Q mode which turns Proxy recording off then not back on.

Have you or anyone been successfully using proxy clips in Premiere? In what editing app has anyone used proxy clips from FX6 since the camera automatically tags clips with 'SO3' so proxy clips in a folder won't automatically link. Some projects have hundreds and thousands of clips and re-linking manually is not practical. And there's no way to re-label the proxy clips in the FX6. Thanks!
    www.afterglow.net.au

Comment

I have a serious question, why is anyone using proxy clips in 2022? I'd really like to hear from someone who uses them.

I think the proxy files on the FX6 are mostly intended to by pushed out of the camera automatically during shooting and sent back to a TV station for quick turnaround editing or even straight out to air for breaking news, etc.. Proxy files definitely look good enough for TV news. But the idea of using proxy files as stand-ins for full-blown post production seems outdated with the powerful computers and fast SSDs we have today that can cut the full-res 4K files like butter. So, why bother with proxies? I'd seriously like to know what I'm missing if someone can share their use of proxies.

Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
      HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
      http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
        I have a serious question, why is anyone using proxy clips in 2022? I'd really like to hear from someone who uses them.

I think the proxy files on the FX6 are mostly intended to by pushed out of the camera automatically during shooting and sent back to a TV station for quick turnaround editing or even straight out to air for breaking news, etc.. Proxy files definitely look good enough for TV news. But the idea of using proxy files as stand-ins for full-blown post production seems outdated with the powerful computers and fast SSDs we have today that can cut the full-res 4K files like butter. So, why bother with proxies? I'd seriously like to know what I'm missing if someone can share their use of proxies.
        I edit on a 2017 Imac 5K so I create proxy files for my a7siii (H265) footage but not for my FX6 as the those don't choke my system. But I proxy in post, never in camera...

Comment

V2.0 Firmware is up (on the Aust Sony site anyway)!

Comment

In similar situation to OP re proxies. No other users of proxies in editing? Thanks.
            www.afterglow.net.au

Comment

Another minor inquiry, there's no simple way to assign audio playback volume adjustment to one of the dials?
              www.afterglow.net.au

Comment

It's only taken 13 months but have found way of adjusting playback from outside of menu: assigned volume to button 7 and joystick under it will adjust volume up and down.
                www.afterglow.net.au

Comment

Originally posted by jmone View Post
                  V2.0 Firmware is up (on the Aust Sony site anyway)!
                  Just checked for US - it's up! https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...fx6v/downloads

Comment

Proxy files are great for going straight from in-camera to phone for times when you want to share via social media sooner rather than later. But that's my only use case scenario.

That said, I'd agree with your assessment from your FX6 training video in that the proxies are pretty damn close to looking like "regular" files under casual viewing situations.

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post

I edit on a 2017 Imac 5K so I create proxy files for my a7siii (H265) footage but not for my FX6 as the those don't choke my system. But I proxy in post, never in camera...
                      I don't have an FX6, but regarding proxies - I proxy in post as well for most things I edit. It means I can keep an arbitrary number of projects accessible on my laptop. I don't need to keep my drives connected, and I have those projects available when I'm out and about (or lying on the couch). It's probably smoother playback doing this for long-gop and H265 footage than on most systems. (Sony alpha cameras have 10-bit 4:2:2 long-gop and H265 codecs, so there isn't necessarily a visual downside from recording in smaller bitrates.) Certainly you can't get any faster editing experience than working with lower-res proxies on a Mac internal SSD. I reconnect the original footage at the finishing stage. But the bulk of my editing time is consumed by footage review, shot selection and reordering, etc. I could generate proxies in-camera but it's usually fast enough for my needs to do it in post, and FCP has an absolutely painless proxy workflow.
                      www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

I don't see why someone would not want this Sony bug to be fixed.

The question about why anyone is using proxies in 2022 should be asked to producers and post who require it, not those who also ask themselves this question when faced with such requirement.

Comment

So you can update via computer or SD card?

Comment

Originally posted by broughtonfilm View Post
                            I don't see why someone would not want this Sony bug to be fixed.
                            It's not a bug. It is the way the camera was designed.
                            BTW, it would take about 10 seconds to batch rename thousands of proxies in one step with Bridge so they matched the full res clips. Problem solved.
                            Last edited by Doug Jensen; 01-27-2022, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Yes. SD card is so easy I have no idea why anyone would bother with Sony's absurd PC/Mac process for updating.

Just did without any problems. So far the only disappointment is that cache record turns off dual-slot recording, which is my default recording mode in case a card fails.

Comment

I used computer for the beta version. Either way, follow the directions carefully to avoid bricking the camera.

Comment

Working...
                                X