The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

I can't speak to the FX6 specifically, but AFAIK the difference in all-i and long-gop is not visual quality but computer processing speed. I only voluntarily shoot all-i for very fast turnarounds
    In addtion to slower processing speed in post, Long-GOP 4K on the FX6 is always 8-bit 4:2:0, thus making it unsuitable for S-LOG or anything that will require grading, keying, etc. Long-GOP is fine for some folks, but I am just the opposite -- I never shoot Long-GOP.
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 10-08-2021, 01:14 PM.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

That's odd. The a7siii can do 10-bit 4:2:2 in 4k long-gop h264 and also h265.

Newsshooter lists long-gop 4:2:2 10-bit for fx6, but is that only for HD?

https://www.newsshooter.com/2021/03/11/sony-fx6-review/

Screenshot_20211008-165935_Chrome.jpg
      www.AbeFilms.com

It's wrong to starve children

Comment

That's only for HD, correct. UHD LongGOP is always 8bit 4:2:0.

EDIT to add that the A7S3 has a *lot* more codec options than the FX6.

Comment

I don't know anything about the A7 series cameras, but 4K Long-GOP on the Sony cinema cameras is always 8-bit 4:2:0.
          As you say, only HD Long-GOP is 10-bit 4:2:2.

My Sony PXW-Z750 2/3" camera can do 4K Long-GOP 10-bit 4:2:2 @ 200 Mbps, but that is the only camera in world right now that has that codec.

Comment

What about the FX3? That's in the Cinema line
            www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

Odd that they would handicap the LONG GOP codec on the fx6 and not on the A7siii....

Comment

It might be because the a7siii got new codecs that are not EXACTLY the same as the prior xavc-L? I don't know if they're better or worse, but they're new. I thought it was pretty much the same. But my guess is that the original xavc-L never had a 10-bit 422 4K codec written?
                www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

What about the FX3? That's in the Cinema line
                  I have no idea.
                  I have even less interest in the FX3 than the A7 cameras. In my opinion, the FX3 is not a cinema camera even if Sony wants to put it into that niche. Why fart around with cameras that claim to be cinema cameras, when we have actual cinema cameras already? I suppose Apple is calling the new iPhone a cinema camera too, but that doesn't make it so. :-)

Comment

I couldn't care less what Sony or anyone else calls a cinema camera. I was just applying the standard you endorsed. I doubt that most bigtime DPs would deem the FX6 fit for their production either, although the a7sii was used to shoot a major motion picture, so anything is possible.

The fact is that the a7siii and particularly the fx3 are better fit for the purposes I use them for - single-grip gimbal shooting. There's no farting around because there are no workarounds necessary. The only thing it's missing from the FX6 is ND, but there are numerous aspects in which they're preferable to the FX6 for this application. And when I have different needs/wants, I use my FS7.

You may have no use for the a7siii or fx3, but other people do. And their codecs exist, simple as that.

And just in general, I've known so many owner/ops who had a c300/5d or fs7/a7s combo for A cam/B cam.
                    Last edited by ahalpert; 10-08-2021, 03:40 PM.
                    www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

I thought the max data rate is 1.2Gbps for 4K 120fps All-I S&Q?
                      That about right. I did some S&Q at 120 and while the resultant file reports it's info in the same 500Mbps range it writes it out at twice that..... so you need a card that will support sequential writes of 150MBytes+ sec.

Comment

I couldn't care less what Sony or anyone else calls a cinema camera. I was just applying the standard you endorsed. I doubt that most bigtime DPs would deem the FX6 fit for their production either, although the a7sii was used to shoot a major motion picture, so anything is possible.

The fact is that the a7siii and particularly the fx3 are better fit for the purposes I use them for - single-grip gimbal shooting. There's no farting around because there are no workarounds necessary. The only thing it's missing from the FX6 is ND, but there are numerous aspects in which they're preferable to the FX6 for this application. And when I have different needs/wants, I use my FS7.

You may have no use for the a7siii or fx3, but other people do. And their codecs exist, simple as that.

And just in general, I've known so many owner/ops who had a c300/5d or fs7/a7s combo for A cam/B cam.
                        Hmm, someone seems to have gotten their panties in a twist because of which cameras I personally take an interest in. I never said anything about the capabilities of the FX3 or any other camera or the people who use them. You are reading things that I never wrote. You seem to have taken something I said as a personal insult, when nothing of the kind was intended. There are a million products I have no interest in, the FX3 and A7 series cameras are just a few of them. Use whatever you want. Makes no difference to me, but I think I have the right to voice an opinion whether you agree or not.

Comment

IThe only thing it's missing from the FX6 is ND,
                          I think you need to take a closer look.

Comment

He means, that The only thing the "FX3" is missing from the FX6 is ND

Comment

...but that is not quite accurate as the FX3 runs the same SW platform as the A7SIII not the SW platform from the FX6.

Comment

Originally posted by jmone View Post
                                He means, that The only thing the "FX3" is missing from the FX6 is ND
                                Yes, I know that. And I am saying he needs to take a closer look at the two cameras because, I don't know squat about the FX3, but I know there are more differences than just ND.

Comment

Working...
                                X