The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post

My Sony TOUGH cards do it with no hiccups, so far. Hours and hour of 120 fps footage shot on them.
    Thanks, Doug. I'm assumed you're limited to Long GOP when shooting with v90 cards?

Comment

Not only are the V90 cards fast enough, almost all of my 120 fps footage is shot on V60 TOUGH cards. And I shoot a lot of 120 fps footage.
      https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...gh_uhs_ii.html
      Interesting. I have a pair of v60 Sony SDXC cards that I use in my a7siii - I wonder if they'll suffice....

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post

Thanks, Doug. I'm assumed you're limited to Long GOP when shooting with v90 cards?
        No that would be an incorrect assumption. I never shoot anything but 4K XAVC-I. I admit I was suprised at how well those cards perform. Will other V60 cards allow 120 fps XAVC-I? I have no idea. All my cards now are Sony TOUGH cards. I wouldn't shoot on anything else.
        Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
        HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
        http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Interesting. I have a pair of v60 Sony SDXC cards that I use in my a7siii - I wonder if they'll suffice....
          If they are TOUGH cards I'll bet the answer is yes. But worth trying even if they are not.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Doug. Worse case my v60s don't work and I'll pick up a couple of V90 TOUGH cards...

Comment

Is that 120p or 120/24 S&Q?

My a7siii will prevent me from using certain classes of card for certain shooting modes, even if the card is fast enough to handle it. Even if it lets me use the same card for a higher bitrate in a different mode. So, I don't think it's only about whether or not the card can handle it but also if Sony will permit it
              www.AbeFilms.com

It's wrong to starve children

Comment

The good thing is (unlike the A7SIII) the the FX6 will just give you a warning but let you proceed. I've tested a few different brand cards, and the V90's are the way to go. Works with every possible recording combo. The V60's I tried "mostly" work but I've had failures in write speeds on occasions. I see no reason to shell out $$$$ for the CFExpress Type A cards. I also have a CFExpress Type A to NVME adapter that also works and lets you plug in whatever size NVME card stick you want (but the door stays open). I thought I'd need it for longer recordings but a Pair of 256GB V90 cards more than does the job.

Comment

Keep in mind that the FX6 Max data rate is a bit over 500Mbits/sec (say 65Mbytes/sec) but it is sustained. V60 rated cards must have a minimum sequential write speed of 60Mbytes/sec, and V90 90MBytes/sec. Faster cards are also better for offloading footage at the end of the day.

This guy rates SD Cards : https://havecamerawilltravel.com/pho...test-sd-cards/

I've settled on the 256GB Kingston Canvas React Plus V90 UHS-II SD Cards (both full size and microSD). Can't believe you can get a MicroSD version but it is my main card and it has not missed a beat (I'm running it in a AngleBird UHS-II Micro --> Full SD Card adapter in the FX6 as the MicroSD adapter than come with the Kingston is oddly only a UHS-I SD Adapter!!!! - though the include USB adapter is UHS-II.... go figure). They can be hard to find but are very price competitive.
                  Last edited by jmone; 10-07-2021, 10:37 PM.

Comment

I thought the max data rate is 1.2Gbps for 4K 120fps All-I S&Q? But that might be the only mode you actually need CFExpress cards for? I use all Lexars with my A7SIII. 4 128GB V60s that I use most of the time. And 2 64GB V90s if someone really wants All-I.

I've never had an SD card lose my data, and I've used some questionable brands. But I had a premium Sandisk compact flash card die on me once. Data loss, of course, is totally different from having a card that's too slow to keep up
                    www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

Thanks for the tips, guys. With my a7siii I've only ever shot 23.98 and 120fps and haven't tried the S & Q mode. My Sony V60 cards have been fine for that. I've also only shot in HS 265 and haven't had any need yet for all-I... Is there any noticeable quality difference between the ALL-I and LONG GOP codecs on the fx6?

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                        I thought the max data rate is 1.2Gbps for 4K 120fps All-I S&Q? But that might be the only mode you actually need CFExpress cards for? I
                        I don't want to be blamed if someone else follows my lead and has a recording failure, but I can tell you that I've been shooting 4K XAVC-I @ 120 fps since last summer on this card: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...7ra000axm02fa9

I just finished shooting literally hundreds of S&Q wildlife clips ranging from 20 seconds up to several minutes in duration in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons without any trouble at all. I have one 80GB CFExpress card sitting in my A-slot (just in case), but I can count the number of times I've used it on one hand. The 256 V60 TOUGH card does 90% of my recording, and then I have a couple of 64GB V90 TOUGH cards when that one fills ups, which rarely happens for me.

Comment

are these short clips? maybe the cards can handle a burst at that speed?
                          www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

. . . ranging from 20 seconds up to several minutes in duration
                            Quoting myself! :-)
                            Longest clip I've done is probably 5 minutes, so that is about 1 minute of real time recording. No need for me to ever go longer than that.

Comment

My bad! Yes, that does sound like long enough for a slow card to get tired and crap out
                              www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

... Is there any noticeable quality difference between the ALL-I and LONG GOP codecs on the fx6?
                                I can't speak to the FX6 specifically, but AFAIK the difference in all-i and long-gop is not visual quality but computer processing speed. I only voluntarily shoot all-i for very fast turnarounds
                                www.AbeFilms.com

Comment

Working...
                                X