No announcement yet.

The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been doing a mix of s-log3 and S-Cinetone ever since I got the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by did View Post

Hello,
      Is it the big 105/1.4 DG/FE ?
      I have it, I just did a simple check on the FX6 because I use it mainly in photo.
      Looked good for me, will check deeper
      Yes the 1.4. I should have clarified that. Thanks for checking it out. Much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by surebll View Post

I'm still testing out my FX6 and so far I'm not that impressed. The picture is great, but not by that much.
        I guess I have to get use to it and shooting full frame as well lol. It seems more of a prosumer camera than a "Cinema" camera.
        I'll admit that I wasn't that thrilled with the FX6 when I first got it last December, but it has grown on me over the last few months and I've come to really like it. I've probably posted more sample footage that anyone else, including Sony. S-LOG3, S-Cinetone, Slow-mo, wildlife, people, whatever . . . I've shot it and I think the camera can look really great once you get used to it.

Sample videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUk...w1RmO4w/videos

Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
        HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
        http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Totally agree with Doug. Cameras these days are actually computers with lenses to gather light and process it. There are SO MANY adjustments we can make that affect this process and it's hard to find the best settings for different situations. I've used most still and video cameras (no exaggeration) over the years and my FX6 is one of the few that I've actually liked using. IMHO the FX6 is a very competent video camera and can hold its own against the best - if used correctly. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by chad whelan View Post

Yes the 1.4. I should have clarified that. Thanks for checking it out. Much appreciated
            I checked again.
            I have to admit that the AF is slower than with my other DG DN lenses, I mean, the time to switch from a short to a long distance. Maybe it's due to the weight of the glass to drive. This lens is not a pure DG DN lens, it's more an adaptation for the FE mount. But it works well optically on the Sony's.
            It's slower but since the AF is locked on something, it's consistent and tracks well. The eye tracking works fine with the subjects I tested.

I checked with
            Transition speed > 6
            Tracking > 4
            AF zone > Zone
            AF-S > Flexible
            AF face/eyes > Priority face
            AF mode > AF-S
            AF assist > ON
            The FW version of the lens > V02

Comment

I don't know that specific Sigma lens, but I can tell you from my research and the lenses that I do know that heavy lenses and telephoto lenses benefit from using multiple autofocus Motors to move the glass quickly and accurately. For example, my Tamron 70-180 F 2.8 uses 2 autofocus Motors and the autofocus is really fast. The Sony GM 135 and the Sony 50 GM both use 4 autofocus Motors , 2 for each focusing group to push and pull from opposite directions. The footage I reviewed from the Sigma 35 F 1.2 had really disappointing autofocus performance. The look was beautiful, but the autofocus move slowly and, more troubling you could see the motor stepping at discreet intervals through the range. I think that more and more lenses will be employing multiple motors, which has been the trend
              www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

I think the last DG DN Sigma lenses are on par with the GM Lenses.
                This lens is quite "special". The design choices made by Sigma for this lens were made to get the best possible optical quality, with no compromise on size, weight, etc... The A7's with this lens look ridiculous ^^

Since the purpose is mainly portrait (=stills), they probably did not try to optimize the autofocus speed to keep a decent price.
                His nickname is 'the bokeh Master', or sometimes 'Bokeh Monster'
                There are good samples of what this lens can produce here
                https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1626888/
                Last edited by did; 09-16-2021, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post

I'll admit that I wasn't that thrilled with the FX6 when I first got it last December, but it has grown on me over the last few months and I've come to really like it. I've probably posted more sample footage that anyone else, including Sony. S-LOG3, S-Cinetone, Slow-mo, wildlife, people, whatever . . . I've shot it and I think the camera can look really great once you get used to it.

Sample videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUk...w1RmO4w/videos
                  Hopefully that's the case. I was shooting with your VRTX-LOG2 scene file on my F55 and it made great images straight out of the camera with little to no grading.

Comment

Originally posted by surebll View Post

Hopefully that's the case. I was shooting with your VRTX-LOG2 scene file on my F55 and it made great images straight out of the camera with little to no grading.
                    Thank you for that. Appreciated.
                    Unfortunately, I am sorry to say, that same simplicity does not exist on the FX6. S-Cinetone is basically the only thing that even comes close to a WYSIWYG "look" on the FX6, and it only looks good in a very narrow range of shooting circumstances. For everything else, footage from the FX6 absolutely needs to be graded no matter whether you are shooting S-LOG or a REC709 scene file, such as S-Cinetone. The FX6 just isn't capable of shooting footage that doesn't need to be graded because Sony stripped off 2/3 of the paint menus that make it possible to shoot WYSIWYG scene files with other Sony cmaeras. In fact, the FX9 has 3 times more paint menus than the FX6. My Z750 five times more paint menus than the FX6. The FX6 is a stripped camera that cannot be painted like traditional professional video cameras to provide nice WYSIWYG looks. You either accept that, or you'll hate the camera. My solution for the FX6 is to shoot S-LOG3 and grade in Resolve. The reason being that no matter what settings I choose on the camera, the footage will have to be graded anyway. So why not grade from a nice clean S-LOG picture rather than some half-assed baked in look that won't look good except in very narrow circumstances.

Like I said, I have come to appreciate the FX6, but it has a lot of shortcomings. Missing paint menus is a big one, but even bigger is the lack of a viewfinder. :-)

Comment

Like I said, I have come to appreciate the FX6, but it has a lot of shortcomings. Missing paint menus is a big one, but even bigger is the lack of a viewfinder. :-)
                      You may have mentioned this elsewhere, but (1) do you know why Sony chose to strip the paint menus from the FX6? and (2) are you using an EVF or just the Z-Finder? If an EVF, which one?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by drboffa View Post
                        You may have mentioned this elsewhere, but (1) do you know why Sony chose to strip the paint menus from the FX6? and (2) are you using an EVF or just the Z-Finder? If an EVF, which one?
                        As Sony has told me, and it should be obvious to anyone who is paying attention, there's a certain type of customer today who just wants to turn on a camera and start shooting. They don't want to change menus, customize settings, choose different settings for different shooting situations, etc. They just want to turn it on and let the camera do its thing. To make matters worse, not only do they not want to change menus, they don't want to see a lot of menus, even if those menus could be ignored. It is too confusing for them if a camera has a lot of paint menus or scene files. This has been a complaint about Sony cameras for years. So the FX6 is the stripped down camera that Sony thinks many of those people want --and they are probably right. You either turn it on and shoot with a baked-in look (S-Cinetone) or choose S-LOG3. Nothing in the middle. And that makes the camera that much harder for the rest of us, who are used to having many customizable choices onboard a camera, to force the camera out of that narrow rut and work the way WE want it to perform.

I have a Zacuto Gratical EVF mounted to my camera at all times and couldn't use the camera without it. In fact, I haven't had the FX6's LCD panel onboard my camera since last December. It is useless to me.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply! I know we've talked about it elsewhere, but it does seem like the trend is moving toward *always* grading in post, and thus not worrying about baking in a WYSIWYG look.

That said, I've started noticing more freelance jobs specifying the FX9 rather than the FX6...

I have a Zacuto Gratical EVF mounted to my camera at all times and couldn't use the camera without it. In fact, I haven't had the FX6's LCD panel onboard my camera since last December. It is useless to me.
                          Interesting! So are you always running off a v-mount or are you also using some BP batteries with d-tap power?

Comment

I'm fine with S-Cinetone or S-log being the two choices one have. To me S-Cinetone works great and looks great for the corporate things I do. Some clients wants to grade and then S-log is also great. I actually like the limited amount of choices just as I only used S-log3 on my FS7.

Comment

With the FX6, in custom mode, if you want other specific looks than s-cinetone, it's possible to save them and use them like s-cinetone.
                              It's possible to use LUTs also in Cine EI, but in custom mode it does not work in the same way, all adjustments are usable
                              https://www.xdcam-user.com/2020/11/c...de-using-luts/
                              Seems specific to the FX6, Alister says
                              Last edited by did; 09-17-2021, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by did View Post
                                With the FX6, in custom mode, if you want other specific looks than s-cinetone, it's possible to save them and use them like s-cinetone
                                Obviously you can create other looks, but are those other looks any good? I say no. Am I wrong? If so, where's is the ungraded footage for us to judge? What are the particular settings of the scene file or LUT to burn in?

I'm still waiting for someone to show me a WYSIWYG scene (or even a LUT) file that looks good outdoors in daylight and that won't require (or at least benefit from) grading in post -- which then mean that it won't be WYSIWYG look anymore.

I'm not saying ti can't be done. I'm saying I haven't found the right recipe for the FX6 and I haven't see anyone else do it either. My choice is S-LOG 95% of the time and S-Cinetone only in some very specific circumstances where it actually ooks good.

Comment

Working...
                                X