Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

t
    Originally posted by surebll View Post
    Ok here's my question any help is much appreciated.
    Is there an E-mount to E-mount speed booster? Or a FZ to E-mount booster?
    I'm coming from a Sony F55 which I love but I'm switching to the FX6. I invested in a Fujinon MK 18-55 lens that I also love and don't want to sell, but the lens is for S35 sensors and the FX6 only shoots HD in S35 *eyeroll. So I'm trying to figure out a way use this lens with the FX6. I've converted the lens to FZ mount on the lens that enabled me to use it with the F55.
    Hi,
    There is a good explanation of the speed boosters at the Metabones site.
    https://www.metabones.com/assets/a/s...te%20Paper.pdf

Theorically, a speed booster is a focal reducer which allows to "concentrate" the light provided by a lens on a smaller surface, and therefore obtain a brightness gain.
    Typically,
    FF lens + speedbooster = usable with S35 sensor
    S35 lens + speedbooster = usable with one inch sensor
    So theorically it should be possible to use the FX6 in S35 mode with a speedbooster, but to cover the field the lens shall be a FF lens. Otherwise you will lose the corners

This is the theory, but there is another problem.
    The speed booster requires some place to install some glass pieces. The design is possible if the lens is Canon EF and the camera Sony, because the flange focal distance of the EF lens (SLR, not mirorlens) is big. But if the lens is designed for a Sony E mount, the flange focal distance is extremely short and it will be very hard to design an optical device to install in between. So, there is few chance to see a E-mount to E-mount speed booster one day on the market...

Practically, the speed boosters were designed to use old SLR FF lenses on mirrorless S35 cameras...

Last edited by did; 09-03-2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks did!

Comment

Anyone own or use the Sigma 105 with the FX6? I just purchased the lens and am having issues with the auto focus on simple things. Sometimes it locks on fine and others it just never adjusts. For example on a face the eye detect lights up and shows that it should be in focus but the lens doesn't adjust. Happens on faces and objects in well lit easy scenarios. I tried the 105 on my a7iii and a7c and it works perfectly fine as it should. All other lenses I have work perfectly fine on the FX6 too. Firmware on 105 is up to date, Just wondering if anyone else had the lens and could comment on using the AF. Maybe it's just an inherent issue between the 2?

Comment

Just for everyone’s info. I posted this on the Facebook group
          but there may be people here not a member of that group. Anyways, Thomas Cubby with Sony says they are developing
          an audio solution for when you take the handle off.
          No word yet on exactly what form it will take. Sounds like
          it will plug in where the handle usually does. Cost?
          Who knows…..

Comment

Might be sending my FX6 back and sticking with my F55 not to impressed so far.

Comment

Originally posted by surebll View Post
              Might be sending my FX6 back and sticking with my F55 not to impressed so far.
              These are cameras in very different leagues. That said, I'd be keen to hear you elaborate on this.

Comment

Originally posted by drboffa View Post

These are cameras in very different leagues. That said, I'd be keen to hear you elaborate on this.
                I'm curious, too. The fx6 is supposed to be leagues ahead of the fs5 in IQ and color...

Comment

As an Fs5 owner I can confirm it is a BIG step up from that camera in many ways (although a properly exposed Fs5 can still look absolutely fantastic).

But he's talking about the F55, not the Fs5. Sony really muddied the waters with that naming...

I'm very happy with my FX6, but seeing the price drops of F55s and F5s is making me (irrationally) interested in them. There's an F5 on ebay right now with EVF and accessories for around $3K—insane!

Comment

Looks like the ‘touch/tracking’ autofocus is coming.
                    Well, I assume so anyways. It has been announced
                    in the firmware version 3 coming to the FX9 probably
                    in November. So I’d assume if they can add it to the
                    FX9….and the FX3 and A7Siii already have it….
                    it’s probably coming to the FX6 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by drboffa View Post

I'm still testing out my FX6 and so far I'm not that impressed. The picture is great, but not by that much.
                      I guess I have to get use to it and shooting full frame as well lol. It seems more of a prosumer camera than a "Cinema" camera.

Comment

There's a long thread here questioning if the FX6 is sharp. A lot of digression there, but some have been concerned with the picture's IQ.

I used the camera for a few days and I am confused by it, personally.

I've seen some nice images on YouTube before using it, but when I actually used it I found it difficult to work with S-Log3.

I think Sony really dialed down the sharpness on this one and it didn't pop as easily for me as other cameras (including Sony mirrorless').

It seemed a bit thin.

Some could call that user error, but in this case I felt like I had better results with lesser cameras (on paper) so I don't know.

Comment

I tested the FX6 last week for an 'Urbex' job, for the first time. That's for me the hardest conditions for the IQ.
                          https://youtu.be/ur7GezH7RKE
                          The place was quite dark inside, to get a decent depth of field I had to use 12k8 in slog3. As usual, the goal was to keep the over illuminated areas at the limit of clipping. In these conditions, the dark areas had to be pushed by about 2EV to be at the right level. Means, the main part of the images in the clip below were made at eq. 51k ISO. That's crazy. My A7R4 cannot do that in RAW
                          It was a good exercice for me to start to practice local processing in DaVinci. There are still some glitches but I'm very happy with the possibilities.
                          Really happy. Making video is more funny than still pictures
                          About to know if the FX6 sharp or not, it's not the camera it's the lens or the sharpening adjustment in post

Comment

Originally posted by chad whelan View Post
                            Anyone own or use the Sigma 105 with the FX6? I just purchased the lens and am having issues with the auto focus on simple things. Sometimes it locks on fine and others it just never adjusts. For example on a face the eye detect lights up and shows that it should be in focus but the lens doesn't adjust. Happens on faces and objects in well lit easy scenarios. I tried the 105 on my a7iii and a7c and it works perfectly fine as it should. All other lenses I have work perfectly fine on the FX6 too. Firmware on 105 is up to date, Just wondering if anyone else had the lens and could comment on using the AF. Maybe it's just an inherent issue between the 2?
                            Hello,
                            Is it the big 105/1.4 DG/FE ?
                            I have it, I just did a simple check on the FX6 because I use it mainly in photo.
                            Looked good for me, will check deeper

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                              There's a long thread here questioning if the FX6 is sharp. A lot of digression there, but some have been concerned with the picture's IQ.
                              Yeah, I've been through that thread. I'm sure there's the possibility of individual camera variation, but my FX6 doesn't seem soft at all; quite the opposite, to be honest (and I turn sharpening down or off).

The files definitely don't stand up super well to heavy grading, in my experience. But in most of my use cases they're more than adequate (even when I drop down to the LongGOP codecs in HD).

That said, I have yet to throw anything really challenging at the camera, aside from some low-light stuff (where it absolutely killed it).

Comment

Are you using S-Log3?

Comment

Working...
                                X