The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
    And choosing 4K resolution while the project is still in a HD timeline has always been the main method of NLE upscaling.
    I haven't tried that in a while but as I recall from Resolve, that doesn't work. For example, you have project properties set for 6144x3456 (Pocket 6K), then render out to 7680x4320 (8K-UHD), as soon as you hit render, throws up error message. To make the P6K upscale, project properties had to be set for 7680x4320 (8K-UHD), same as for the rendering, at least that's how it was for me. Going the other direction (downscaling) was not a problem. I did not try every possible upscaling permutation, (ex. 4K-UHD -> 8K-UHD) ymmv.

Of course you can get all your editing/grading done beforehand in whatever resolution you want, and switch over for rendering, as you said.

Comment

Oh, that's interesting...I wonder if it would work if you tried with lower resolutions or if they have to be specific calculations or if there is a box that you have to uncheck somewhere to allow the process to go through.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
        That's how I always understood it because it doesn't make sense to me how it's possible to have a project in a HD timeline and then export it with 4K settings for a true 4K master unless you're actually changing the timeline like you are in FCP X before you do that (which would be the same thing as if you were editing in a 4K timeline all along but just did it at the end of your post-production process before exporting).
        Yes but in FCPX, at least, changing the timeline settings could cause a hiccup because of the spatial conform settings on your clips (fit, fill, none). If everything is set to fit and you switch around the timeline resolution, then it's no problem. But if you ever use either of the other settings, you'll probably have to readjust the clips after changing the resolution

Does resolve not do what Premiere does, where you can set your playback resolution and paused resolution to different fractions of the full resolution of the timeline? That's how it should be and is definitely a superior attribute of premiere
        www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

It is assumed by common sense that the user knows that since fit is the default because then it's a different conversation once we get into what exactly you're doing with the 4K footage in a 1080p timeline.

Comment

So I updated my Astro clip:
            - 6 secs segments each at 2000K, 3000K .... 15,000K colour temp increments for White Balance
            - Side by Side graded / un-graded

It really does amaze me how much detail can be pulled out the CineEI on the FX6.

On the colour temp increments, I take it that Kelvin is not linear (but is LOG or LOG Like) as the White Balance increases there is less and less effect.

https://behome.dyndns.info/index.php/s/ccsKrzfGgaWYHEB

Note: this is a downsampled 1080p 8-Bit version so there is banding I don't see on my UHD HDR 10-Bit version.

Comment

Copied from the Resolve manual:

DaVinci Resolve is resolution independent, so you can change the resolution at any time and all windows, tracks, sizing changes, and keyframe data will be automatically recalculated to fit the new size. For example, you can work on a 4K project while monitoring at HD resolutions if your room is only set up with an HD monitor, and then render the finished project at 4K resolution for final delivery. Alternately, you can downsize an HD project
              to an SD resolution to create another set of deliverables.

Comment

In resolve Studio 17 I just tried taking a 4k timeline and outputting to an 8k file.
                At the point that I go to add it to the Render Queue, a warning pops up that says that image processing is performed at the timeline resolution as set in Project Settings.
                It goes on to say that choosing an output resolution greater than your timeline settings may not result in the desired image quality.

From this I would infer that the timeline should be set to the maximum desired resolution before outputting on the Deliver page.

Also remember that the Studio version gives you the option to deliver above UHD 4k -- the free version lacks the resolution options above 4k

Comment

If I'm understanding all of this correctly, it seems like you can do the following in Resolve:
                  1. set your Project Settings to the highest output resolution you will need (4K, 8K, whatever).
                  2. set your *Timeline* settings to whatever is easier for your machine, if needed (e.g., HD); you can change this by right clicking on a timeline in the media pool, going into Timeline Settings, and then unchecking the box that says something like "Use Project Settings." At that point you should be able to switch to different settings from the Project Settings.
                  3. when you're ready to render, set your Timeline back to the desired full resolution (i.e., recheck the box saying to "use Project Settings").

This allows you to render at the desired resolution without upscaling while also letting you work in a lower resolution timeline for better playback. At least, this is assuming I'm understanding the various sources correctly.

Comment

Hi all, pretty new to posting on forums so forgive any mistakes please!

My FX6 arrived last Friday after waiting for 3 months. It was a long wait, especially because all my rigging/media/batteries had arrived months earlier.

Something that is initially bothering me is the wiggle/play in the side handle/grip. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, been able to improve it? I feel like I may have seen this on this forum somewhere but couldn't find it now that I actually have the camera.

Thanks in advance!

PS. Once I figure out how to upload a picture here I'll share my build.
                    PPS. A recent bag I've come across and am super interested in: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ra_bag.html/qa

Comment

Hi mate,

I don't use my grip but there's no play in mine at all. Could you take a video of it so others can say if it is normal?

Bag looks good but not much room for accessories. There's some other alternatives in the OP of this thread.
                      ----------------------------------------------------------

My reel
                      Website

Comment

Originally posted by paisley View Post
                        Something that is initially bothering me is the wiggle/play in the side handle/grip. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, been able to improve it? I feel like I may have seen this on this forum somewhere but couldn't find it now that I actually have the camera.
                        Welcome!

My FX6 handle has a little bit of play fore/aft (i.e., slight amount of rotation within the connection) but no side-to-side play or wiggle. That said, it's *much* better than the amount of play I have in my Fs5 side grip.

Comment

Hi all, pretty new to posting on forums so forgive any mistakes please!

My FX6 arrived last Friday after waiting for 3 months. It was a long wait, especially because all my rigging/media/batteries had arrived months earlier.

Thanks in advance!

PS. Once I figure out how to upload a picture here I'll share my build.
                          PPS. A recent bag I've come across and am super interested in: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ra_bag.html/qa
                          I think I remember reading in the manual which says it needs a hex tool or allen wrenche to tighten. Went to home depot got the wrenches and it does tighten it. I did not make it to tight and keep the wrenches in the bag in case it gets loose.

Comment

Originally posted by LDV20 View Post
                            I think I remember reading in the manual which says it needs a hex tool or allen wrenche to tighten. Went to home depot got the wrenches and it does tighten it. I did not make it to tight and keep the wrenches in the bag in case it gets loose.
                            Thanks! I'll grab the manual later and take a look. Can you recall if you tightened these on the grip, or the body? When I look at both, I only see screws, no hex or allen.

Comment

Thanks! I'll grab the manual later and take a look. Can you recall if you tightened these on the grip, or the body? When I look at both, I only see screws, no hex or allen.
                              I am talking about the handle - just looked in manual and it says tighten by using HEX #4. I know the grip feels funny and not solid it has a but of play have not tried to tighten anything there yet because while there is play it is still feels secure, but who knows I will look into that.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with the Crane 2 gimbals? Will a FX6 fly on a Crane 2 gimbal?
                                Thank you!
                                Tim Bradley
                                Cameraman - Live Streaming

Comment

Working...
                                X