No announcement yet.

The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect this camera will hit a sweet spot and be the new FS7, ie really popular, and so we can look forward to quite a range of gear to choose from.

Comment

This is madness. How in a world do I keep center marker, aspect marker on the camera's LCD monitor while getting rid of all the other display info? As soon as I press "Display" everything disappears together with the crosshairs and aspect ratio masks. Is it really not possible to keep just these??

Comment

Originally posted by broughtonfilm View Post
        This is madness. How in a world do I keep center marker, aspect marker on the camera's LCD monitor while getting rid of all the other display info? As soon as I press "Display" everything disappears together with the crosshairs and aspect ratio masks. Is it really not possible to keep just these??
        I don't have my FX6 in front of me right now, but in the menus there is a setting that allows you to choose what you want displayed and what you don't. It's a long list of options too so you can have complete control over what is on your display.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Milligan View Post
          I don't have my FX6 in front of me right now, but in the menus there is a setting that allows you to choose what you want displayed and what you don't. It's a long list of options too so you can have complete control over what is on your display.
          Oh, I know that. But that's not practical. I want to be able to toggle between seeing just the markers (center marker, aspect masks, safety zone, etc, etc) and full display of info. This was possible on FS7, the markers would not go away when you hit the "Display". The implementation of it now makes zero sense. When the marker is ON the camera should keep it displayed on LCD regardless of the whether "Display" is ON/OFF.

Comment

I sidestep all that silliness with an Atomos Ninja V. Never for recording but it's an excellent monitor.
            ----------------------------------------------------------

My reel
            Website

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Scott View Post
              I sidestep all that silliness with an Atomos Ninja V. Never for recording but it's an excellent monitor.
              I have to disagree. I don't think I know a monitor which is a bigger mess when dealing with signal levels. Ninja can't even display SMPTE bars correctly. Atomos keeps trying to patch it up with new updates but it's still awful.

Back on the subject - I'm not crazy saying that FS7 could keep all the markers displayed in the EVF at all times regardless of whether the "Display" was on or off?

Comment

Originally posted by broughtonfilm View Post
                I have to disagree.
                Of course you do!

I use the Sony monitor for waveform and log display and Atomos monitor for framing/guides/masks/lut checking/client casting an eye over the camera if we don't have a client monitor. Works perfectly.

Been a while since my FS7 but I seem to recall guides being a separate setting from the regular display on/off settings.

My reel
                Website

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Scott View Post
                  Of course you do!

I use the Sony monitor for waveform and log display and Atomos monitor for framing/guides/masks/lut checking/client casting an eye over the camera if we don't have a client monitor. Works perfectly.

Been a while since my FS7 but I seem to recall guides being a separate setting from the regular display on/off settings.
                  Guides/markers are still separate, it is the "Marker" menu. But they behave differently. External monitor does not solve the issue for me. I'm an EVF hugger, operate cameras using EVF 90% of the time. I want to have a clean EVF image with just the aspect masks and center mark AND be able to quickly toggle the display on and off to check if all is good. The info is particularly distracting on Sony cameras as its layout is very messy and blocking the image. I know I can disable display of the info items individually in the settings, but that would mean heaving to dive into the menu after a take (and pretty much impossible during) to bring them back on.

Comment

Ah right. Aside from asking for a firmware update not sure what you can do. Would be nice if pressing display toggled though display on/of with and without markers.

I have my display set to as minimum settings as possible and can live with it.

My reel
                    Website

Comment

I hope I'm not crashing the party, but the FX6 has opened up a new market for us complete novices! I've come from a Canon XF which I loved but wanted to kick it up to Full Frame (from 1") and shoot entirely in UHD, 50fps, HDR and playback as such (will make a SDR version only when needed). So far my FX6 setup is as follows:

Minimal Rig (for backpack travel videos etc):
                      - Removed the Sony XLR Mic Holder (don't like it at all, it was "floppy", and I got handling noise through it).
                      - Kept the Handle and Grip as it gives various handheld options
                      - Sony 24-240 Lens (don't laugh) - Here is a 100MB sample of a Water Dragon in our backyard (handheld @ 240) - Is it such a "bad" lens?
                      - Audio is just using the internal handle stereo Mic & I've 3d Printed some XLR dust caps as when they are not in use.

Min Rig.jpg

Full Rig
                      - E-Image GH06 Head & GA752 Sticks with a Libec ZFC-L LANC Zoom and Focus Control
                      - Sony PZ 28-135 (the One and Only PZ OSS Full frame lens. Coming from a Canon XF Camcorder, I find it bizarre that there is not a bigger range of PZ OSS lenses)
                      - Either Rode NTG1 (but using a slightly modified Rycote Shock Mounts that screws into where the stock mount was) or the Rhode Video Mike X on the shoe

Full Rig.jpg

Memory : I've tested a bunch but have settled on:
                      - Kingston V90 256 Canvas React Plus. No issues with any profile, and relatively inexpensive
                      - ZITAY CFExpress Type A to NVME adapter (with a 1TB NVME SSD drive)

Other: Again, don't laugh but I got this tip from Philip Bloom "aka El Chepo" - It does work really really well for shoulder mounting the FX6, and with the screen mounted forward as shown and is much more stable than hand held.

ElCheapo.jpg

Comment

All right, I'm in. Worked in TV for years as a staff shooter and editor. While working,
                        saw the direction of things and decided to try to create an 'exit plan'. Bought a Sony
                        PD-150 (my first every personal camera) and a Mac and FCP. A couple years later, I
                        lost my TV job and out of pure desperation, my new video business was born. I typically
                        wait a long time between upgrades as I'm in a small, extremely isolated market (no
                        road access). My first camera upgrade was from the PD-150 to a Sony FS700.
                        And I have now upgraded to the Sony FX6. I lost all pre-booked client work in March 2020.
                        No work at all for about 6 months. Then I got lucky and was hired to shoot an entire
                        season of a comedy show. Normally, I'm sure the production company would have
                        flown in their own crew but because of Covid and my town's quarantine rules, that
                        would have been almost impossible for them, so I got very fortunate to get a couple
                        months work. Remote directors in LA and Montreal. They sent me an FX9 and I
                        hooked up a wireless transmitter to it, and the receiver went to my Macbook Pro
                        through a capture card. Then selected that input instead of the built in 'iSight camera'
                        in Zoom so the directors could see a live feed of my camera. They could then call
                        the actors and direct them on an iPhone 'conference call' and direct me as to what
                        to move in or out of frame/etc.... In remote areas I would 'hotspot' the Zoom call
                        through my phone and we shot lots of scenes where the actors were in a car driving
                        with the camera on a car mount. The show wrapped in late October (It's called
                        Humour Resources and aired on CBC in January....a little article about it here
                        https://mtltimes.ca/movies/entertain...bc-in-january/

Anyways, after shooting with the FX9, I really liked it a lot but was hoping for a version
                        just a bit smaller for me personally. And just a month later the FX6 was announced!
                        I pre-ordered immediately and was literally the first person on Omega Broadcasting
                        and Cinema's pre-order list. After I got it, I have been busy posting on the FX6 user
                        group on Facebook and was even named 'Top Contributor' there. Not much work
                        right now so a person has to do something right? I would highly advise anyone
                        to join the group if you can stomach Facebook. Alistair Chapman has done several
                        livestreams on the group with all sorts of great information and quite a few other
                        good DP's have shared tips and other info on the camera. Joel's 'Phantom LUTs' for
                        the FX6 have also been posted there and quite a few people like using them with the camera.
                        I'm a fan of the camera. Although currently I only have 2 lenses for it, a Tamron 28-75 F2.8
                        and a old Canon FD 50 F1.4 with an adapter. Before this camera I only owned Super 35 glass.

Comment

For something different, I shoot in UHD, HLG, 50fps, 360 Shutter, Auto ND. Here are my settings in Davince Resolve to output HDR (unfortunately my playback software (madVR) currently does not support HLG so I need to use Rec.2020 ST2084 / HDR10 instead)

DR-HDR-Settings.jpg

...and when I need to punch out a SDR grade, I'm using the following settings

DR-SDR-Settings.jpg

I'd be interested in any comments on the above profiles (if I've got it wrong or suggestions)!.

I am also playing with pulling Iris for changing the Depth of Field for a revel of the "background", eg focused on a talking head talking about where we are. (wide open ... well F4 on the 28-135)... then manually racking the iris closed so the background also comes into focus showing what we are talking about. It works pretty well if you get the distance between you talking head and the background correct. You do see some brightness ramping at the beginning as you close down the iris and the Auto ND Filter compensates, but it does settle down. I need to practice this some more.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskacameradude View Post
                            All right, I'm in. Worked in TV for years as a staff shooter and editor. While working,
                            saw the direction of things and decided to try to create an 'exit plan'. Bought a Sony
                            PD-150 (my first every personal camera) and a Mac and FCP. A couple years later, I
                            lost my TV job and out of pure desperation, my new video business was born. I typically
                            wait a long time between upgrades as I'm in a small, extremely isolated market (no
                            road access). My first camera upgrade was from the PD-150 to a Sony FS700.
                            And I have now upgraded to the Sony FX6. I lost all pre-booked client work in March 2020.
                            No work at all for about 6 months. Then I got lucky and was hired to shoot an entire
                            season of a comedy show. Normally, I'm sure the production company would have
                            flown in their own crew but because of Covid and my town's quarantine rules, that
                            would have been almost impossible for them, so I got very fortunate to get a couple
                            months work. Remote directors in LA and Montreal. They sent me an FX9 and I
                            hooked up a wireless transmitter to it, and the receiver went to my Macbook Pro
                            through a capture card. Then selected that input instead of the built in 'iSight camera'
                            in Zoom so the directors could see a live feed of my camera. They could then call
                            the actors and direct them on an iPhone 'conference call' and direct me as to what
                            to move in or out of frame/etc.... In remote areas I would 'hotspot' the Zoom call
                            through my phone and we shot lots of scenes where the actors were in a car driving
                            with the camera on a car mount. The show wrapped in late October (It's called
                            Humour Resources and aired on CBC in January....a little article about it here
                            https://mtltimes.ca/movies/entertain...bc-in-january/

Anyways, after shooting with the FX9, I really liked it a lot but was hoping for a version
                            just a bit smaller for me personally. And just a month later the FX6 was announced!
                            I pre-ordered immediately and was literally the first person on Omega Broadcasting
                            and Cinema's pre-order list. After I got it, I have been busy posting on the FX6 user
                            group on Facebook and was even named 'Top Contributor' there. Not much work
                            right now so a person has to do something right? I would highly advise anyone
                            to join the group if you can stomach Facebook. Alistair Chapman has done several
                            livestreams on the group with all sorts of great information and quite a few other
                            good DP's have shared tips and other info on the camera. Joel's 'Phantom LUTs' for
                            the FX6 have also been posted there and quite a few people like using them with the camera.
                            I'm a fan of the camera. Although currently I only have 2 lenses for it, a Tamron 28-75 F2.8
                            and a old Canon FD 50 F1.4 with an adapter. Before this camera I only owned Super 35 glass.

That's brilliant and well done for getting a gig, and a long term one at that during this insanity!

1st rule of Sony Camera club is remove the stupid mic mount. Agreed 100%.

I've deleted my FB account after the last couple of years of their behaviour essentially trying to subvert democracy around the world so my choices for FX6 chat are a bit limited. Anything juicy do share it here please!

My reel
                            Website

Comment

Originally posted by jmone View Post
                              I hope I'm not crashing the party, but the FX6 has opened up a new market for us complete novices! I've come from a Canon XF which I loved but wanted to kick it up to Full Frame (from 1") and shoot entirely in UHD, 50fps, HDR and playback as such (will make a SDR version only when needed). So far my FX6 setup is as follows:

Minimal Rig (for backpack travel videos etc):
                              - Removed the Sony XLR Mic Holder (don't like it at all, it was "floppy", and I got handling noise through it).
                              - Kept the Handle and Grip as it gives various handheld options
                              - Sony 24-240 Lens (don't laugh) - Here is a 100MB sample of a Water Dragon in our backyard (handheld @ 240) - Is it such a "bad" lens?
                              - Audio is just using the internal handle stereo Mic & I've 3d Printed some XLR dust caps as when they are not in use.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]142552[/ATTACH]

Full Rig
                              - E-Image GH06 Head & GA752 Sticks with a Libec ZFC-L LANC Zoom and Focus Control
                              - Sony PZ 28-135 (the One and Only PZ OSS Full frame lens. Coming from a Canon XF Camcorder, I find it bizarre that there is not a bigger range of PZ OSS lenses)
                              - Either Rode NTG1 (but using a slightly modified Rycote Shock Mounts that screws into where the stock mount was) or the Rhode Video Mike X on the shoe

[ATTACH=CONFIG]142554[/ATTACH]
                              Love those 3d printed caps!

All sorts of innovative solutions happening.

Also the best lens is the one you have on you. Would love to see how you modified your Rycote mount.
                              Last edited by Ben Scott; 02-28-2021, 01:12 AM.

My reel
                              Website

Comment

FYI - the caps are here on Thiniverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2262508 I've left some notes on how I printed them

Comment

Working...
                                X