No announcement yet.

The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the technical clarification Doug. In this context it's pretty vital that we shoot Slog, as the D/R of the scenes is often pushing things a lot between low-key scene lighting and bright follow spots etc, and the amount of shadow tonality in the scene worries me with 8-bit.

I completely agree with you re: I vs. L compression, I've done blind tests myself in the past and can never tell which is wihch. Hence the appeal, given it doubles the capacity of all my media!

Cheers,

jason
    ----------------
    Freelance Site: www.Opticalism.com/jason
    Company Site: www.Opticalism.com
    Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/jasonbrooks/videos
    Africa Blog: www.Opticalism.com/travels

Sum Ergo Edo.

Comment

[QUOTE=jasonbrooks;n5697321]the amount of shadow tonality in the scene worries me with 8-bit./QUOTE]

Yeah, you don't want to be using S-LOG with an 8-bit codec.
      Too bad the XAVC-L200 codec has not found it's way to other cameras yet. I've only used it a few times, but it performed great.
      The development of that codec was designed to meet the needs of reality (Survivor) and sports shows that have a lot of cameras and shoot a ton of footage, but still want to use S-LOG.
      Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
      HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
      http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Hi,
        I have a compatibility issue with a Samyang lens (24 F/1.8) and the FX6 regarding the autofocus operation.
        I had the chance to discuss with Forest Finbow this issue at the SATIS fair in Paris. We tested this lens with different cameras.
        The autofocus works perfectly with the A7 series, the FX3, the FX30, and the FX9.
        It does not work at all with the FX6 FW V3.0 !!
        I think (but I'm not sure) that it was OK with the firmware versions prior to V2.0

I'm looking for a way to roll back the firmware to V2.0 or V1.x to check this. But I cannot find it anymore. I'm even not sure if it's possible. Does someone know ?

Comment

I'm off to India/Bhutan shortly and was looking at what I need to pack. Is there any way of charging BP-U Batteries using USB-C (I'd like to cut down the # of chargers I'm brining). I know I could get the Swit LB-SU90C BP-U batteries as they have inbuilt USB ports for charging... but I already of plenty of Sony BP-U batts. I can't seem to find anyone that makes a USB charging plate for BP-Us
          Last edited by jmone; 12-17-2022, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmone View Post
            I'm off to India/Bhutan shortly and was looking at what I need to pack. Is there any way of charging BP-U Batteries using USB-C (I'd like to cut down the # of chargers I'm brining). I know I could get the Swit LB-SU90C BP-U batteries as they have inbuilt USB ports for charging... but I already of plenty of Sony BP-U batts. I can't seem to find anyone that makes a USB charging plate for BP-Us
            Electricity in India is often very unstable, even in built-up areas. We'd have the power go out multiple times a day, every day in New Delhi. So I wouldn't trust to USB charging, it's significantly slower than dedicated chargers are. You want the fastest charging option available (for safety). You also want multiple chargers with you (for redundancy, in case of brown-outs), and you want surge protectors on every powerboard you use.

Don't plug anything important directly into a mains socket. Plug it into a surge-protected power board first.
            DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
            www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

Thanks for the warning!

FWIW - I've ordered 2 of the SWIT batteries. Can be charged "normally" + USB + DTAP. Can also power DTAP and USB devices.

Comment

FYI - Was chatting (well email) with SWIT in China as I could not see my shipping info for the batteries that were due by the end of the month. Looks like all shipping is dead in the water for them with the COVID surge and they don't expect to get going till later in January at this stage. They refunded / cancelled the order asking that I re-order later if needed once shipping is back. They seemed pretty rattled about COVID. If you have stuff coming from China then it sounds like your stuff will be delayed for some time.

Comment

FWIW. Interesting reaction to the FX6 / 28-135 / Shotgun Mic in India. No issues in commercial areas and in public places around temples. People are keen to be in shots as they go about their business. Even areas I thought would be inappropriate like behind the scenes prep area and public dinning in a soup kitchen was not only fine but I was encouraged to take shots. It was pretty humbling seeing the scale of such a volunteer enterprise.

It was areas such as parks / gardens around historic monuments where there is formal security (not police or military) is a bit more challenging. Our guide is getting a lot of "no video" or "too big" complaints in these areas. One area wanted me to remove the shotgun mic as then I was only taking Photos?!?! OK. Looking around these tourist areas there is plenty of mirrorless and phones on gimbals etc clearly taking video.

Something like a FX3 and smaller lens would not be questioned.

The other thing I need to learn is how to edit and post on the fly for some quick picks. Should have brought the laptop!

Comment

If you don't have a laptop this is a scenario where shooting proxies and doing a quick edit on your phone is perfect! For quick sharing the quality is more than adequate.

Comment

Yeah. I really need to get into this century

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post

That's interesting. Sony must have beefed up the mount on the newer cameras because my first LCD mount was so floppy a fly landing on it would make it droop. They replaced it with one that is only marginally better. Now tt can support the weight of two flies before it droops.
                        Just tested my friends new Fx6 and the LCD holds in place much more than my "old" Fx6 ever has!
                        Sony must have changed something in the mount without telling us.
                        I wonder if they can change our old mounts with the new one… I’ll ask my vendor.
                        http://www.prog-pics.com

Comment

Working...
                        X