The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
    What about the Sony vario-tessar 16-35 f/4 OSS? Or maybe the addition of an extra grip on the a7siii could get the handling to where you have with the FX6, and the IBIS could take it over the top. or maybe the addition of a roll-axis stabilizer like the letus helix. I find roll shake to be more bothersome as a viewer than pan or tilt shake. I will say that I have a client who handed me an indefinite recurring assignment because I'm an all-day gimbal operator and they weren't happy with the handheld look their previous hire was providing, but obviously gimbal isn't for everything
    Thanks for that. I considered that lens but word on the street is that it has horrible non-linear manual focus. The letus helix is interesting but I'd lose access to all those lovely customisable buttons on the camera body. I'll keep on upgrading my a7Siii (XLR module is probably the next purchase) and see if I end up with a setup that works better for some jobs than the FX6.

That's an interesting comment about IBIS being more effective with telephotos, virtually all of my experience with it is at the wide end. And I can absolutely imagine a lot of clients preferring the gimbal look.

Comment

Buried in some reporting about the new FX3 firmware update is a mention that Sony is working on a Catalyst plug in for Premiere Pro that would give the NLE access to the camera's gyro stabilization data. I think that doing the stabilization in the NLE one is already using would be a huge leap forward in practicality
      www.AbeFilms.com

It's wrong to starve children

Comment

Would be even better if they'd make a plugin for Resolve.
        Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
        HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
        http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Buried in some reporting about the new FX3 firmware update is a mention that Sony is working on a Catalyst plug in for Premiere Pro that would give the NLE access to the camera's gyro stabilization data. I think that doing the stabilization in the NLE one is already using would be a huge leap forward in practicality
          Yes, this is what I want.

Comment

I can't argue with that. That said, I'm one of the three people who would actually prefer to see Sony improve Catalyst. It's very capable software hiding behind a terrible interface.

Looking around at reactions to the FX3 firmware update - Why are people so bothered about the FX3 "getting shutter angle"? It's hard to think of anything less consequential - it's not as if doing the maths yourself is difficult. Is it just about the inconvenience of having to reset the shutter speed after jumping into S&Q mode? The a7Siii / FX3 have far more serious usability problems than that. The new display mode looks nice. Can it be used on an external monitor without the built-in LCD turning off (meaning you can't use touch tracking)?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy9 View Post
              It's hard to think of anything less consequential - it's not as if doing the maths yourself is difficult. Is it just about the inconvenience of having to reset the shutter speed after jumping into S&Q mode? The a7Siii / FX3 have far more serious usability problems than that.
              It would definitely be nice to let the shutter speed readjust itself when switching between 24fps and s&q

But the biggest, most ridiculously glaring omission from those cameras is the ability to fine-tune shutter speed to defeat LED flicker/banding. Even the a7iv can do that, which is why I end up using it instead of an a7siii sometimes, much to my chagrin
              www.AbeFilms.com

It's wrong to starve children

Comment

The firmware update should come to the a7siii as well. Not officially in the cinema line, but Sony has pushed it as one.

Comment

FWIW - I've redesigned the Rycote Lyre Mic Holder Adapter for the FX6 - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5438521 . I found my original design was not that robust (I was jumping in and out + shooting from a doorless Helicopter and ended up having the "nuts" come off). This one is much more robust as it is a lower profile friction fit (also much better clearance from the bottom of the Lyre). It is also much easer to print (can use std PLA). It is a pretty tight fit so you have to "wiggle" the lyre's into and out of it but it grips them really well and still keeps the Hot Shoe free.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Has anyone tried the https://www.chrosziel.com/Zoomer-Uni...led-CDM-UNI-Z2 or something similar to get PZ on non PZ lens?

Comment

I just discover that a new firmware V3.00 has been released for the fx6. Seems more network related
                      https://www.cined.com/sony-fx6-firmw...ony-c3-portal/
                      I've not tested yet

Comment

Thanks - I did not notice it. Here is the change notes:

Benefits and Improvements
                        • Adds the following enhancements to the C3 Portal cloud service interface:
                          • Support for simple connection using a dedicated mobile application
                          • Support for managing 3D LUT and All files
                          • An automatic upload function for original files
                          • An automatic upload function for a proxy file while recording in chunks
                        • Adds support for original file trim transfer instructions in the Content Browser Mobile app
                        • Adds support for digital outputs from the ECM-B1M and ECM-B10 microphones
                        • Adds support for supplying power to USB Power Delivery compatible smartphones during USB tethering
                        • Improves operability and operational stability
                        Good to see more digital support for Sony Mics. Unfortunately (for me), the ECM-W2BT still does not work (analogue only).

Comment

Installed, just for the last item. I used the SD card method, it took about 10 minutes. The blinking of the SD card LED shows the installation progression: from 1 to 5 at the end.

Comment

Hey folks,

Finally received my FX6 and Ronin RS3 pro kit to go with it (along with 16-35 GM and 24-105 G to start out with).

First question for me is... how can I most elegantly go quickly back and forth from the RS3 to my Zacuto VCT compatible shoulder rig baseplate? It seems like the most sensible option is to keep the DJI-supplied Ronin camera baseplate on the FX6, and try to find a tripod bracket that will be compatible with that plate. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe is is a Manfrotto baseplate size that DJI have adopted for the Ronin RS3 - can anyone else confirm or correct this assumption for me.

Bonus points if you've already solved this problem for yourself and are happy to share the method!

A secondary question relates to AF. Is it right that in S&Q mode, the camera will only support AF in exact multiples of the base framerate. For example, if I'm shooting 25p, I will only get AF functionality at 50 or 100fps S&Q, and to get 120fps with AF, I have to switch to 29.98 base frame rate? If this is true, trust Sony to come up with a smattering of rather annoying (and seemingly unnecessary) limitations in their camera's UI, AND then make the most incredibly opaque error messages ("AF not possible").

Thanks folks!

jason
                            ----------------
                            Freelance Site: www.Opticalism.com/jason
                            Company Site: www.Opticalism.com
                            Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/jasonbrooks/videos
                            Africa Blog: www.Opticalism.com/travels

Sum Ergo Edo.

Comment

S&Q-AF.png
                              Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
                              HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
                              http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
                                That IS a handy table - thanks very much for sharing Doug! :-)

jason
                                ----------------
                                Freelance Site: www.Opticalism.com/jason
                                Company Site: www.Opticalism.com
                                Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/jasonbrooks/videos
                                Africa Blog: www.Opticalism.com/travels

Sum Ergo Edo.

Comment

Working...
                                X