The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    All my footage goes through Resolve for grading before I edit in Premiere, so adding some stabilization is not big deal.
    What are you exporting from Resolve for this workflow, if you don't mind sharing?

Comment

Heck, I don't mind sharing. After trimming and grading, I export from Resolve all the clips as individual 4K ProRes 422 files, and then I import those files into Premiere and use them as my raw footage for the edit. Sometimes I will drop it down to ProRes LT or even MP4 for interviews and other simple stuff where there's no advantage to the better codec. But usually it is Prores 422.
      Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
      HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
      http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

I've never tried using Catalyst because it seems like a waste of time to stabilize everything I've shot handheld before editing rather than waiting till Post where you would only need to stabilize short moments. Is there a good argument for doing it ahead of time? How fast is it?
        Also i guess most of time I'm shooting for others and they just want me to hand off footage rather than process it first. I guess it would be advantageous to look incredibly stable at 280mmm though.

Comment

You're right, it would be a waste of time to use Catalyst. It's possible that changes have been made to how Catalyst works since I produced my FX6 master class more than a year ago, but here's what I said about it back then, and it is probably still true.

First of all, f you try to stabilize a clip that was shot with SteadyShot turned on, you'll get an error message. So, even though a clip might have the stabilized metadata icon superimposed over the thumbnail -- that is no guarantee that the clip can actually be stabilized.

A second "gotcha", is that you can only use lenses that can communicate electronically with the camera because the camera needs to know the focal length of the lens. Without that vital piece of information, Catalyst Browse will not be able to properly counteract unwanted motion. So obviously, you're probably going to be limited to shooting with e-mount lenses -- or adapters that allow communication between the camera and lens. But that's not all, there are other issues to be aware of as well:

Stabilized clips have to be rendered out from Catalyst Browse as new stand-alone video files, thus increasing the amount of data that you need to store, backup, and deal with during editing.

Clips can only be stabilized and exported one at a time. So, you can't just select a group of clips and tell Catalyst to do them as a batch.

I have a pretty fast computer and exporting takes three times longer than real time -- meaning that a 20 second clip that needs stabilization is going to take more than a minute to render . . . while you sit there and wait for it to finish so you can setup the next clip that needs to stabilized

Stabilization is accomplished by magnifying the image, so there will always be a measurable loss of resolution and image quality.

You can use the MANUAL mode to modify the amount of stabilization that is applied, but that stabilization data is not stored anywhere, so once you have exported a clip, you will have to start all over again from scratch if you ever decide that you want to make changes at a later time.

Comment

The FX6 IS way ahead in this regard. So far ahead, in fact, that the AF/MF toggle switch isn't really even needed on the FX6 if you have firmware 2.0 loaded. The switch on my camera is always set for MF even though I'm using some form of AF most of the time these days. With the switch in the MF position I can still use touch-tracking and face/eye detect, as well as always having access to push-auto and full manual -- all at the same time. If you slide the switch to AF you will be giving too much control to the camera and it will **** you too often. The other focusing modes are damn near perfect with the right settings and techniques. As far as I'm concerned the AF/MF switch is completely unnecessary.

This works fine and I will probably use it in future. The only problem for me is that it's not possible to change the Eye AF setting when in MF mode. Apologies if you deal with this in the linked video - I'm out on a job today and can't check.

In other news, I discovered the other day that cache record on the FX6 works without a memory card in the camera! So if you're about to start recording and realise - DOH! No card. It's no problem, just hit cache record and you should have plenty of time to get a card out of the bag, perhaps while whistling an annoying tune and ruining the take.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy9 View Post

The only problem for me is that it's not possible to change the Eye AF setting when in MF mode. Apologies if you deal with this in the linked video - I'm out on a job today and can't check.
              I'm not sure what you mean by "changing the the Eye AF setting while in MF mode". You should set it for "Face/Eye Detect Priority" and leave it there all the time. There's no reason to turn it off or change it during 99% of normal shooting. The camera will only start tracking a face if you tap on the screen to tell it to start tracking an object, and then the camera will automatically switch to Face/Eye if it senses the object is a face, which is exactly what you would want the camera to do. To end tracking, you just have to nudge the focus ring or touch the gray box up in the upper left corner to return to full MF. Watch the video.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by "changing the the Eye AF setting while in MF mode". You should set it for "Face/Eye Detect Priority" and leave it there all the time. There's no reason to turn it off or change it during 99% of normal shooting. The camera will only start tracking a face if you tap on the screen to tell it to start tracking an object, and then the camera will automatically switch to Face/Eye if it senses the object is a face, which is exactly what you would want the camera to do. To end tracking, you just have to nudge the focus ring or touch the gray box up in the upper left corner to return to full MF. Watch the video.
                I don't want to only activate AF by touching the screen and I don't always want tracking AF. With your settings, if I switch into AF by using the AF / MF hold button then it will track the most prominent face within the specified focus zone, if there is one there to track. Sometimes this is desired behaviour, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes I want the camera to track an object or person, sometimes I want it to maintain focus on a section of the image. Even if I do want tracking AF, it's not always a face I want to track so Face/Eye detect OFF would be the better setting.

With the a7Siii, I can choose the focus settings I actually want without having to change my hand position. This is great for handheld shooting. Of course as soon as I want to touch the LCD for tracking AF, I need to change my grip on the camera but this is true for the FX6 as well.

My initial comment was that I expected the FX6 to be "way ahead in this regard" - specifically about controlling the AF compared to what's possible with the a7Siii. You claimed that it IS way ahead and then proceeded to explain why the FX6's limitations actually don't matter. That doesn't sound like way ahead to me.

I agree with Joshua Milligan:

"Personally, I much prefer the AF in the Alpha line over the Cinema line. Once you get used to it, for me at least, it’s way faster to setup and use, not to mention how many more options it has."
                Last edited by Andy9; 06-20-2022, 01:32 AM.

Comment

My initial comment was that I expected the FX6 to be "way ahead in this regard" - specifically about controlling the AF compared to what's possible with the a7Siii. You claimed that it IS way ahead and then proceeded to explain why the FX6's limitations actually don't matter. That doesn't sound like way ahead to me.
                  On the contrary, configuring the camera so that a certain switch or function is no longer even needed (for me at least) is the very definition of being way ahead. :-)

Comment

On the contrary, configuring the camera so that a certain switch or function is no longer even needed (for me at least) is the very definition of being way ahead. :-)
                    Haha well I agree, but you could also limit yourself to just those controls with the a7Siii and have some customisable buttons left over for... I dunno, changing the peaking colour!

When the FX6 launched, I wasn't surprised that it borrowed so much from the alpha series and relatively little from the FX9 (it's basically a cinema camera on the streets, an a7Siii between the sheets). I was surprised that this turned out to be generally good news.

And still, I'd like the FX6 mark ii* to go a bit further down that road and have;

- IBIS (as well as internal ND - yes, I know)
                    - 14+ assignable buttons
                    - H.265 codecs
                    - Small, moveable white balance target

*The FX6 mark ii will be released in 2025, it will be identical to the original apart from the colour of the ND dial.
                    Last edited by Andy9; 06-22-2022, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Used the a7Siii as the A-cam on a doc shoot recently instead of the FX6. We did a lot of handheld tracking shots and the Sony GM 16-35 f2.8 was perfect for the look we wanted. No OSS on the lens though, so a combination of the a7Siii having IBIS and it being possible to hold it closer to the body made it the better choice.

I missed all the expected things about the FX6 (ND, side handle, viewfinder - I use the FX9 loupe). Surprisingly though, a few days into the shoot I realised I preferred plenty of things about the ergonomics of the smaller camera....

In other news - the external monitor / EVF situation with the a7Siii is an absolute ****%##w.

No touch tracking through an external monitor? ok, no surprise there. Send camera info to external monitor so I can at least monitor what's being tracked? Image shrinks to the size of a stamp and the camera's LCD turns off so now I can't use touch tracking at all. I wish this was because Sony were ripping us off with some proprietary solution, I really do. Sell me something that works, Sony.

I know I'm not supposed to admit this, but I rather prefer using mirrorless cameras over FX/FS line. I'm rarely running sound to camera and I can get exposure tools through external monitors. Give me internal ND and I would be set.

Touch tracking through an external monitor -- for this I had been using Imaging Edge Mobile via wifi connection on my smartphone.

BUT I had a game-changing discovery last week. The app Monitor+ can do everything Imagine Edge Mobile can do (except store a list of cameras for quick reconnection - it only stores one). Monitor+ can give you touch tracking. But it can also give you false color, which Imaging Edge Mobile can't do. Which means that I can kick my 5" monitors off my gimbals and solely rely on my phone from now on.

But it gets better. A couple days ago I found out Monitor+ will connect to the camera via USB-C with the camera in "PC Remote" mode. So now you have a wired connection (with the attendant benefits of lower latency and higher reliability) that can do touch tracking, etc. And the connection is very robust in that if you disconnect or power the camera off and then reconnect to the phone, your picture comes back as quickly as it does with an HDMI connection. Obviously, when shooting on gimbal there are benefits to using a wireless connection rather than having a tether tugging on the side of the camera, but with the right cables rigged the right way I think it's going to be a non-issue. I'm debuting the wired solution on my shoot tomorrow
                      www.AbeFilms.com

From the river to the sea

Comment

*The FX6 mark ii will be released in 2025, it will be identical to the original apart from the colour of the ND dial.
                        Nah, it's gonna have more than that. Don't you want RGB color controls for peaking so you can dial in the exact color that you want? Why limit ourselves to red, yellow, green, etc. that is the kind of innovation we'll expect in 2025.

Comment

More codec options would be huge on the FX6, and should be addressed via firmware. There needs to be a decent LongGOP option in UHD for doing things like interviews.

Comment

Do you eally need 10-bit 4:2:2 for interviews? Or what are you looking for in a new codec?

Comment

Probably not, Doug. I mean, almost certainly not. I think I have residual concerns over using the relatively thin LongGOP codec with slog3 (even though I did it with my Fs5 with great results for years).

Doesn't the Z280 have a nice, relatively lean (compared to XAVC-I) LongGOP UHD codec?

Comment

Isn't it also just nice to have options? 10-bit 4:2:2 long-gop codecs are available on their mirrorless cameras
                                www.AbeFilms.com

From the river to the sea

Comment

Working...
                                X