No announcement yet.

The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll follow the last post with my experience using the FX6 for over a year as well (Feb 2021).

The camera is fantastic to work with. It's been a great upgrade from my FS7II in virtually every way. Even things I didn't think I would like, like the lack of a locking E-mount, I've grown to be ok with. There's a lot to like about having so many features in such a small package. It really is hard to explain how great it is to work with until you own one yourself.

As usual, there is no such thing as a perfect camera and if I we lived in a world where I got to design an FX6 MK II, these are the improvements I would make:
    • Better LCD design: Let's face it, the design of the LCD sucks on this camera. It's so incredibly weak. I like how flexible it is and how it can be mounted all over the camera, but it needs to be stronger. Bright Tangerine fortunately has made this workable, but I shouldn't have had to go that route to begin with.
    • Better mic holder: As with virtually all Sony cameras, the stock mic mount is also very weak, not to mention it doesn't do a lot to reduce handling noise. I replaced mine with Alister Chapman's FX6 mic holder and that has been amazing for strength and handling noise. I would make something similar for the FX6II as part of the stock build.
    • 4 audio dials: The FX9 has four audio dials on the side of the body and since the FX6 can also record four channels of audio, I think it too should have four dials on the body.
    • 3.5mm mic jack: Speaking of audio, as was referenced above not having audio inputs when the handle is removed wasn't the best design. If we could simply have a 3.5mm mic jack somewhere on the side or back of the camera for when the handle is removed, that would be perfect.
    • Higher resolution sensor: The FX6 was built with the A7SIII's sensor which creates beautiful video and is fantastic in lowlight. But if Sony were to give this camera a 6K sensor that was also respectable in lowlight, that would be even better. Most people agree that the FX9 does have a slightly more detailed, more organic image, not to mention it can record 4K in Super35 crop mode. Just imagine if we could have something similar in the FX6's small form factor.
    • Improved AF functionality: The AF in the FX6 is great, but it's not very intuitive to use. Sony's mirrorless line is way more intuitive to use and doesn't feel clunky like the FX6 does. Even just giving us the ability to select objects to track with the joystick as opposed to being forced to use the LCD screen would be a major improvement.
    • Updated WB tool: The white balance tool on the Sony mirrorless line is fantastic. You get a little small box that you can move around with a joystick to place on whatever white balance card or object you want to WB to. The FX6 by contrast uses an old school large box that's static and therefore forces you to use a really big WB card, or at least to have the card right in front of the camera. I would love to see the FX6 get an updated WB tool similar to what the mirrorless cameras have.
    • Internal raw: Raw isn't everything, but having raw as an option is great. With Canon, Nikon and Blackmagic all finding ways to work with or around RED's patents, I think it's time Sony does too. It would be great to have a solid 12-bit internal raw file for those times when you simply need a little thicker of an image to work with.
    • Increased ND range: The built-in electronic variable ND is incredible. It's one of the camera's best features. But as jmone said in a previous comment, the ND starts a little high. I also think it stops a little low. Instead of 2-7 stops, I would love to see 1-8 stops of ND so that you didn't start so dark when you simply need a little bit of ND and so that you can shoot at f/1.4 in bright lighting conditions.
    • Gyro sensor data update: The gyro sensor data is really cool and has been very helpful when handheld shooting. I really like this feature. The only issue is that we are still forced to use Catalyst Browse in order to use it. I would love to see Sony work with Premiere, Final Cut and the Resolve team to get this functionality into native editing software. That would make this feature way more useful and feasible to use on a day to day basis.
    And that's it! 10 bullet points may seem like a lot, but I think the fact that I only have 10 attributes I would change on the FX6 actually says a lot about the camera and how good it is. Seriously, the FX6 is an incredible tool and is one of the most feature rich cameras I've ever owned. If we had a MK II with these 10 characteristics, it would be dang near perfect (for me at least).
    Last edited by Joshua Milligan; 04-01-2022, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Most of those bullets are valid complaints/suggestions but my number one problem with the camera (besides not having a VF) is the utter lack of paint menus. You either have to shoot with LOG or make do with S-Cinetone, which I find highly over rated for anything other than human faces indoors. As recently as December I was planning on selling my FX6 as soon as I finish a project I've been working on, but the release of firmware 2.0 changed my plans and now I'll be keeping my FX6 for the foreseeable future. There's simply no other camera that can match its specifications and capabilities -- not to mention Sony's great lineup of e-mount lenses that compliment the FX6 perfectly. I shot this footage over the last couple of weeks of some owls near my house. I shot some it with the equivalent of a 1800mm lens. 200-600mm + 2.0 teleconverter + 1.5x Clear Image Zoom. I didn't need AF for this kind of shooting, but it works great even with the combination. No other camera can touch that.
      Last edited by Doug Jensen; 04-01-2022, 10:29 AM.
      Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
      HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
      http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Great footage. Love how the chick is looking down the lens checking you out in some of the clips. 1800mm and it looks great!

I must say, I like LOG + Davinci Resolve Colour Mgt vs LUTS. No need to technical grade, just some creative adjustments. Also easy to mix and match footage from other sources. Lets you then pump out but HDR and SDR. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by jmone View Post
          Great footage. Love how the chick is looking down the lens checking you out in some of the clips. 1800mm and it looks great!.
          Thanks.
          One of the best things about a really long focal length is that I could move pretty far away from tree and still zoom in for a tight shot. And the farther I can back away from the nest, the less it feels like I'm looking up at it. In some of these shots it almost feels like I'm shooting from the same height as the nest, but it is 30-35 feet above the ground.

Comment

I'd just it to be riggable for on the shoulder use in a way that doesn't put all the weight on your forearms. Everything else I can live with.

This photo, which is an honest to goodness advert is everything that is bad about the camera for me in a nutshell.

g95tLNP.jpg
            ----------------------------------------------------------

My reel
            Website

Comment

Jeez, what a mess. There are so many things wrong with this setup. A perfect example of pimping out a camera so it looks cool without any regard to usability. Unless he's got a focus-puller and/or is shooting rehearsed shots so he just has to point the camera, this is completely useless. First of all, instead of having his eyeball looking into a proper viewfinder, he's using the camer's flip-out LCD panel which is too small, too dim, and totally useless outdoors and in bright light. Not to mention making it nearly impossible to see peaking, zebras, or other critical settings because of how far back his head is positioned. To get the LCD at a comfortable viewing distance, it forces him to push the entire camera forward so that the center of gravity is no longer over his shoulder. Whereas, if he had a proper viewfinder, the weight and balance would put the camera body over his shoulder and right next to his ear. This was all worked out decades ago with ENG cameras.

Next, he's also supporting the camera with two hands, which makes it virtually impossible for him to turn the variable ND wheel, adjust the iris, focus the lens, or make any camera adjustments whatsoever without removing a hand from one of the grips and having the camera drift or droop. There's no reason in hell he shouldn't be able to fully support the camera with his right hand and keep his left hand totally free 100% of the time to make camera/lens adjustments. Once again, ENG cameras had this figured out decades ago.

He's got a heavy matte box with no filter(s) in the tray, which means there no need for that extra weight at the very front of the camera, which throws the whole rig even more out of balance. He's a got a follow-focus attached when it would be just as easy to turn the focus ring on the lens itself. Or, in the case of the FX6, just use the camera's excellent auto-focus system. It's a bizarre setup that was clealy put together by a manufacturer that is more interested in selling accessories to the gullible, rather than helping a shooter actually do his job and get the shot. I've got my own FX6 rigged up for super-comfortable handheld shooting, much like an ENG camera, and it would allow me to shoot handheld for hours longer than this guy -- even though I'm not nearly as buff. I'd love to see this guy try use this rig on a run & gun documentary outdoors in daytime. He'd be flying blind. What a joke.
              Last edited by Doug Jensen; 04-10-2022, 01:42 PM.

Comment

It looks to be perfect for shooting the ground about 8-10 feet in front of you..... when you are in a dark room and the light is out in front lighting the ground - oh, and a subject that only turns in place or rolls over endlessly without moving outside the FOV.

It kind of hurts just looking at it and I do not do run_N_gun or documentary style projects. Ouch.

B

Comment

Defeats the whole purpose of a lightweight grab n go camera...

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
                    . It's a bizarre setup that was clealy put together by a manufacturer that is more interested in selling accessories to the gullible, rather than helping a shooter actually do his job and get the shot. I've got my own FX6 rigged up for super-comfortable handheld shooting, much like an ENG camera, and it would allow me to shoot handheld for hours longer than this guy -- even though I'm not nearly as buff. I'd love to see this guy try use this rig on a run & gun documentary outdoors in daytime. He'd be flying blind. What a joke.
                    Yep it is nothing to do with having a working camera setup and 100% to have an advert with a camera that looks like a movie camera setup with zero practical applications.

My reel
                    Website

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post
                      Defeats the whole purpose of a lightweight grab n go camera...
                      There's something to be said for adding weight strategically to balance the camera for and aft on the shoulder - I shot with an FX9 with the ARRI PCS plates, v-locks and a Fuji Cabrio last week and it was about 5 times the weight of my FX6 setup but balanced perfectly and was a lot easier to use.

But in that pic ALL of the weight is over the front of the shoulder so on the forearms which is horrific after about 5mins.

I've toyed with a V-lock plate on sliding rails with the FX6 to balance it out a bit but it is still a pain to wrangle and to have the LCD somewhere useful. In the end that goes on the back of the cam and a monitor on an arm takes the place of an EVF but it is all a bodge job.

My reel
                      Website

Comment

Any suggestions for a compact, lightweight video tripod/fluid head kit for travel? I've currently got an E-Image EG06A2 Tripod Kit which is "fine" but I'll be away from a week traveling and a lot of that will be in Light Planes / Helicopters between locations and while this kit will do, I'm wondering what other options (if any) may be more suitable for the FX6/28-135/100-400 (it is not rigged out) for such travel?

Comment

For the kind of travel you describe, I use Sachtler Flowtech75 legs and Aktiv8 head. If you've seen the new Aktiv heads in action, you know they go on/off the sticks in less than 2 seconds, and they can fit into any normal sized suitcase with whatever other stuff you want pack around them. Be careful about down-sizing to the point you've got to work with a piece of **** that isn't good enough to get the job done.

Comment

You hit the nail on the head Doug. I've always been amused by people who have a heavy mattebox with no filters in it pimped to look good. I did once did have someone admit it was so he would look more professional. I told him a real professional would be very happy looking like an amateur if it made his rig more comfortable.

I guess I've never understood the 2 handle rig either. Like you said - my left hand has plenty to do when I'm shooting . Now if you've got an ace focus puller that might be fine but chances are you don't have that luxury when you're running an FS6.
                            Last edited by LennyLevy; 04-30-2022, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
                              For the kind of travel you describe, I use Sachtler Flowtech75 legs and Aktiv8 head
                              Doug, I have a Sachtler Ace that I got years ago - something like this:
                              https://www.sachtler.com/en/sachtler...ms/c-26/p-1361
                              At the time, I was concerned that perhaps I was spending too much, it never occurred to me that one day I would consider it a cheap stopgap!

After years of experience I still don't really trust myself to do a decent smooth pan every time. Would this be drastically improved by a better tripod?
                              If I upgraded to something like a "Flowtech75 legs and Aktiv8 head" would I notice the difference or would I have to go further upmarket? Portability is very important to me.

Comment

Andy, after the camera and lens, the tripod is the #1 most important accessory. Cameras come and go but a good tripod should serve for 10-20 years. The Ace series is an entry-level prosumer tripod, so I'm not surprised you have outgrown it. Sounds like you outgrew it a few years ago and just have been slow to replace it with something better. Well, I can assure you that the Aktiv8/Flowtech75 is definitely a big step up. I've got several bigger, heavier, tripod systems (O'Connor 1040, 1030D, FSB-10, etc. to choose from) but my FX6 is always on the Aktiv8/Flowtech75. And keep in mind that I don't have a stripped down stock FX6. My rig includes a Zacuto Gratical, Zacuto shoulder-mount base with rods, Anton/Bauer v-mount battery, and I'm usually shooting with a long telephoto lens like the Sony 200-600mm + 2x converter, where smooth motion and perfect balance is mandatory. A lot of tripods/heads are okay for interviews or wide-angle focal lengths, but it takes a good one for smooth telephoto work, wildlife, sports, and action. You won't be disappointed with the Akitv8.

I shot these videos with my FX6 and Aktiv8/Flowtech75 while I was on the road last summer in Massachusetts.

Moto cross
                                https://youtu.be/ag3LQFcfC2c

Barnyard animals
                                https://youtu.be/KHARHB-3TJ0

Cape Ann, Mass.
                                https://youtu.be/DltoOdXCOsk

Splash Park
                                https://youtu.be/RMmQ-Ys1eR0

Comment