The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.Brown View Post
    I'm fine with S-Cinetone or S-log being the two choices one have. To me S-Cinetone works great and looks great for the corporate things I do. Some clients wants to grade and then S-log is also great. I actually like the limited amount of choices just as I only used S-log3 on my FS7.
    You are exactly the target demographic for the FX6.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Yes! It’s spot on for what I do just as the FS7 when it came. I had a conversation with another shooter the other day during a two camera shoot and he was in the Red camp. I then realised how much I appreciate simplicity in how I work. I just wanna do a good job and get paid.

Comment

Here is a 10sec clip of the moon (couple of days off full) using the Sony 100-400 + 2x extender + 1.5 Clear Image Zoom = 1200mm. It moves through the frame very fast at the focal length! It was shot using S&Q at 1fps on a 50 fps base, Low Base, No ND, 81f stop (max) which kept the moon just under clipping.

https://behome.dyndns.info/index.php/s/o2Ybbidi8q6pwBD

Damn, there are some spots from dirty glass (this is what you get for rushing a shot before the football kicked off!)
        Last edited by jmone; 09-18-2021, 03:53 AM.

Comment

This is hard! This time it is F25 with 1/4ND but the moon is soooo high in the sky it is hard to get the tripod to be stable. At least the lens is clean!!
          https://behome.dyndns.info/index.php/s/ocd82wtSd7XyC4q

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post

Obviously you can create other looks, but are those other looks any good? I say no. Am I wrong? If so, where's is the ungraded footage for us to judge? What are the particular settings of the scene file or LUT to burn in?

I'm still waiting for someone to show me a WYSIWYG scene (or even a LUT) file that looks good outdoors in daylight and that won't require (or at least benefit from) grading in post -- which then mean that it won't be WYSIWYG look anymore.

I'm not saying ti can't be done. I'm saying I haven't found the right recipe for the FX6 and I haven't see anyone else do it either. My choice is S-LOG 95% of the time and S-Cinetone only in some very specific circumstances where it actually ooks good.
            Doug, I'm still at the beginning of the learning curve
            In standard conditions (with no specific requirement regarding white balance, dynamics etc...) I'm happy with S-Cinetone. What are the very narrow circumstances you mention, and outside these circumstances what's wrong with S-Cinetone for you ?
            Just asking to improve what I think good

Comment

Real time AF tracking is coming for the FX9. Hopefully we'll get it on the FX6 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by did View Post
                Doug, I'm still at the beginning of the learning curve
                In standard conditions (with no specific requirement regarding white balance, dynamics etc...) I'm happy with S-Cinetone. What are the very narrow circumstances you mention, and outside these circumstances what's wrong with S-Cinetone for you ?
                Just asking to improve what I think good
                S-Cinetone performs best indoors, in low-key lighting, shooting human faces, with exposure that are more suited to "cinema" style shooting rather than broadcast. If you put whites up around 90% where they usually need to be for typical broadcast, sports, corpporate, etc., the highlights become easily blown out and the color saturation suffers dramatically. Very ugly. But for certain kinds of interviews with controlled lighting and contrast, drama, etc. S-Cinetone can be fine. But I would also argue that S-Cinetone can almost always be improved upon in post, thus negating its purpose of providing a very good WYSIWYG look. So if you have to grade anyway (or should if you care enough) why not shoot with S-LOG3 and capture the maximum quality image for use in post.

It all depends on what you expect from the camera. I don't shoot feature films or drama, I shoot for TV, and the best choice for me on the FX6 is S-LOG3.

Comment

Real time AF tracking is coming for the FX9. Hopefully we'll get it on the FX6 as well.
                  What is "real time" AF? My FX6 already does a great job of tracking in real time, as far as i can see. What is coming that we don't already have?

Comment

He’s talking about ‘object tracking’
                    autofocus like the A7Siii and FX3
                    have. Sony has announced it will
                    be coming to the FX9 in a firmware
                    update in November. So a lot
                    of us are hoping it also comes to
                    the FX6. We know you don’t need it
                    or care as you already said a couple
                    times. Quite a few of us would like
                    it though. Especially when using
                    the FX6 on a gimbal it would be useful.
                    See post #779 in this thread for a more
                    detailed description of when it would
                    be useful.

Comment

Actually, I would welcome object tracking to the FX6. Why not? I just had no idea what he was talking about. Sometimes it is difficult to decipher what people mean when they don't use the correct terminology or elaborate to explain. Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

S-Cinetone performs best indoors, in low-key lighting, shooting human faces, with exposure that are more suited to "cinema" style shooting rather than broadcast. If you put whites up around 90% where they usually need to be for typical broadcast, sports, corpporate, etc., the highlights become easily blown out and the color saturation suffers dramatically. Very ugly. But for certain kinds of interviews with controlled lighting and contrast, drama, etc. S-Cinetone can be fine. But I would also argue that S-Cinetone can almost always be improved upon in post, thus negating its purpose of providing a very good WYSIWYG look. So if you have to grade anyway (or should if you care enough) why not shoot with S-LOG3 and capture the maximum quality image for use in post.

It all depends on what you expect from the camera. I don't shoot feature films or drama, I shoot for TV, and the best choice for me on the FX6 is S-LOG3.
                        Got it.
                        Thanks Doug, very useful advices.
                        S-Log3 looks fine also for me. I've time to play with post processing. Currently my main issue is to adjust the white clip point during the capture (with the reg709 LUT for the display) and what's the best place for the location of the delog in the post processing chain, to get the best dynamics. Not completely clear on that. Seems I get the best results if the delog is at the beginning of the chain, but with just a gain adjustment before to adjust the white clip separately for each clip. I need more practice on that.

Comment

Actually, I would welcome object tracking to the FX6. Why not? I just had no idea what he was talking about. Sometimes it is difficult to decipher what people mean when they don't use the correct terminology or elaborate to explain. Thanks for clarifying.
                          Oh ok, I thought you had said you couldn’t see where
                          that would be needed. But yeah it’s confusing
                          as I’ve seen it called everything from ‘touch tracking’
                          to ‘real time AF.’ Basically anytime I’ve seen anyone
                          complain about the autofocus on the FX6 is
                          because they have an A7siii and the FX6 won’t do
                          the object tracking like the A7siii will. Because
                          really the FX6 autofocus is really good, it just
                          happens to be missing a feature that it’s ‘near sister’
                          camera (or at least first cousin) has. So people
                          want to see it on the FX6. I’d like to see it too
                          but I will still give credit where it is due, the
                          autofocus on the FX6 is already awfully
                          good.

Comment

Still playing with the 100-400 + 2x Extender on the FX6. Moon is 2 days off full, clear night. Shot using S&Q 4fps on a 50fps base, No ND, F32, Mix of 800mm and 1200mm (clear Image Zoom). This lens looks nice and sharp to me! A bit of handling wobble as I zoomed in/out at this focal length but I'm pretty impressed on the detail you can get at these sort of focal lengths. This clip is longer due to the the 4fps over 1fps but the better temporal resolution works. What do you think?

https://behome.dyndns.info/index.php/s/AZk5oKmMH7xtJZA

Comment

Sony calls it "Real-time Tracking (touch tracking auto focus)" So that's how they name it. The current FX6 does face and eye tracking but not real time tracking. You better learn the Sony lingo.
                              Last edited by J.Brown; 09-19-2021, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Sony calls it "Real-time Tracking (touch tracking auto focus)" So that's how they name it. The current FX6 does face and eye tracking but not real time tracking. You better learn the Sony lingo.
                                Actually, it is you who should learn the Sony lingo. I looked this subject up in the A7Siii manual and there is no mode called "Real-time Tracking" or "Real time AF". Yes, there is a mode called "Touch Tracking", but you didn't use that term in your earlier post -- so how was I to know what you were talking about? Please use the right lingo so others can understand your comments better.

BTW, my FX6 already has real time AF tracking (obviously any AF would be totally useless without real-time performance) but it does not have a "Touch Tracking" mode.

Comment

Working...
                                X