No announcement yet.

The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, I'm not familiar enough with the A7 cameras to compare their features head to head with the FX6, but I'm able to get my FX6 to reliably track non-human objects such as animals, trains, boats, cars, bikes, etc. Tracking is nice and smooth, even for slow-mo. Maybe people want a touch screen or something? Personally, I don't think a touch screen is practical for serious video shooting and I'd never use it if it had it. But maybe I'm missing some cool trick of the A7 cameras.

If did can link to a video that shows what the A7 can do better than the FX6 I'd love to see it in action.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Yes, I was referring to object tracking or real time tracking. Check at 1'00:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvn6t6laKXs

It's the same as eye tracking, but with any object after the object has been locked by the autofocus. It's usually used with a small window detection, not necessarily with the touch screen.
      I work in this mode most of the time with the A7R4.
      All recent A7xx have it, the A1 and the A9 of course have it, even the FX3 has it.... but not the FX6

Comment

Yeah, I could see how that would be nice to have for stuff that moves through the frame. But if you don't use the touchscreen (as shown in the video) how do you tell the camera WHAT object you want it to focus on and track -- while ignoring other objects in the frame?

Right now my FX6 will track most objects if I keep them in the same in the same general area of the screen as I move the camera to track the target -- as you normally do when a vehicle, athlete, animal, etc. moves.

Comment

So yeah, you have to use the touchscreen. But you
          only have to use it once which is why it is nice. Tap on
          the car or horse or bicycle or bear or whatever you want
          the camera to follow. The square locks on them
          and keeps them in focus even if they head directly towards
          you or away from you. FX6 will only do this if it can
          lock onto a face or eyes but won’t do it with objects
          other than people.

Comment

You can also tap to initiate object tracking with the wifi interface on a smartphone (imaging edge mobile) so you don't need to touch or access the camera

The major benefit is that the object can move around your frame and you can recompose or change objects to track on the fly
            Last edited by ahalpert; 09-02-2021, 06:39 AM.
            www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

The way I use in photo is maybe different in video.
              - I select the small size box, place it in the middle of he frame
              - I set the camera in continuous AF
              - I move the camera so that the object to track is aligned with the the box
              - I half press the shutter to activate AF
              - From now, the box follows the object
              - I full press the shutter to take the photo at the desired time

I prefer this way instead of the touch screen

I imagine the process in video could be
              - Select the small size box
              - Use the front button that controls the AF ON/OFF for that purpose (or another one)
              - Move the camera so that the object to track is aligned with the box
              - Release the AF Button to lock the AF on the object
              - Then, the box follows the object
              - Start record at the desired time

Maybe I'm wrong somewhere and the touch screen would be more convenient in video
              I've to say, the current performance of the FX6 AF is fine most of the time. I went to Le Mans, using the wide window the AF was tracking the cars quite well.

I don't understand why this feature, which exists in all alpha series and the FX3, cannot be implemented in the FX6. it's exactly the same as face or eye detection. CPU power limitation ? Hardware limitation ? Strange.
              What's fun is that the FX6 belongs to the Alpha family advertised in the Sony video
              Last edited by did; 09-02-2021, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskacameradude View Post
                So yeah, you have to use the touchscreen.
                That's a deal breaker for me. I cannot and will not use a touchscreen for shooting professional video -- especially action.

Originally posted by alaskacameradude View Post
                FX6 will only do this if it can
                lock onto a face or eyes but won’t do it with objects
                other than people.
                That's not my experience. I can get my FX6 to reliably follow non-human subjects as they move.
                Last edited by Doug Jensen; 09-02-2021, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
                  That's not my experience. I can get my FX6 to reliably follow non-human subjects as they move.
                  By keeping them in the same part of the frame, right?
                  www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                    By keeping them in the same part of the frame, right?
                    Yes, but you must admit that's the way we shoot 90% of the time when tracking an athlete, animal, vehicle, etc. You're generally not just letting the subject move randomly all over the place in the frame without moving the camera to keep them in the same general area of the frame. Sometimes, yes, (such as the flying man in the video posted above) but that is not typical. When shooting action of non-human targets (or humans when no face or eyes are visible) you generally keep the cross hairs, so to speak, over the target as you pan and tilt to keep it in frame. And if you keep the target in that zone, the camera does a fantastic job of tracking focus better than anyone can do manually with the Sony lenses. In fact, I've seen the camera continue to track the target even if it drifts outside the focus zone.

If you're shooting a human moving, speaking, walking, leaning forward, etc. FACE/EYE detect is perfect.
                    But when you're shooting an object (vehicle, animal, etc.) that kind of random movement isn't typical.

Here's the difference:
                    With face FACE/EYE detect the camera is smart enough to recognize a face(s) without you having to tell it there is face in the frame. And if there are multiple faces you can just toggle the joystick and tell the camera to focus on someone else. No touchscreen needed and the camera automatically recognizes faces. Works great and is easy.

But with object tracking on the A7 cameras it seems that YOU have to tell the camera there is an object in the frame that you want to track, and that can only be done with a touchscreen. Am I wrong about that? A touchscreen for object tracking is completely impractical for shooting serious action and I bet that's why Sony didn't put it on the FX6.

The A7 cameras are basically still cameras twith video features tacked on. But the FX6, FX9, etc. are purpose built solely for shooting video and that's why there are many differences between the two types of cameras.

My two cents.

Comment

I agree with all the above and the fact that object tracking is more useful in photo than video, for different reasons (more resolution, highest quality requirements, less FPS ...)
                      There are also some old photos rules (1/3 rule ...) for which a decentered AF window capability is a plus. In video, in general the ROI is in the middle !
                      At Le Mans, I took my FX6 instead of my A7R4 just to check if I can get better stills by shooting 4K at 100FPS and grab the best ones from the footage . The result is not bad at all.

I'm quite new in video, it was a big surprise for me to discover that many professional people are still working with manual focus. I would never be able to shoot videos with manual focus : ). The FX6 AF performance is very good even for a still camera, I mean quite on par with my A7R4 when the A7R4 AF is set in the best AF mode of the FX6 for fast moving objects (large window high speed etc..).

However object tracking is an additional feature that gives /on still cameras/ better results (with or without touch screen) for small fast moving objects.
                      The point for me is why this feature is implemented on the FX3 and not on the FX6 ?
                      Is it because of an HW or SW limitation, or because the basic AF modes of the FX6 are more intelligent than on the other Alpha series and it's the best that Sony can do with this camera ? Who knows.

That said, looking at what is available on the market, I don't see any video camera having a better AF than the FX6

Comment

I dont shoot much action. For me, the greatest utility of AF is gimbal work (which is mostly what my A7SIII is dedicated to, as opposed to my fs7). Not that you can't pull focus manually on gimbal, but it can be challenging and there are a lot of moving parts.

For the gimbal b-roll I shoot, I move my subject around the frame all the time. There are also frequently numerous people in frame and I want to select a specific individual. I can operate the camera with one hand anyway. My other hand can tap my smartphone monitor to select a subject or command a rack, and then return to grip the side handle to continue aiding my stability and weight distribution.

Or I'm away from the camera managing another lock-off and I can check in remotely and change the subject of focus. Or I'm hoisting the camera on a monopod above the crowd and can do the same. I find the Tap to initiate focus tracking (especially remotely) extraordinarily useful.

But I agree that if you're bracing your camera against your body and looking through an EVF, then a touchscreen focus control will not help you.
                        www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Ok here's my question any help is much appreciated.
                          Is there an E-mount to E-mount speed booster? Or a FZ to E-mount booster?
                          I'm coming from a Sony F55 which I love but I'm switching to the FX6. I invested in a Fujinon MK 18-55 lens that I also love and don't want to sell, but the lens is for S35 sensors and the FX6 only shoots HD in S35 *eyeroll. So I'm trying to figure out a way use this lens with the FX6. I've converted the lens to FZ mount on the lens that enabled me to use it with the F55.

Comment

I dont shoot much action. For me, the greatest utility of AF is gimbal work (which is mostly what my A7SIII is dedicated to, as opposed to my fs7). Not that you can't pull focus manually on gimbal, but it can be challenging and there are a lot of moving parts.

For the gimbal b-roll I shoot, I move my subject around the frame all the time. There are also frequently numerous people in frame and I want to select a specific individual. I can operate the camera with one hand anyway. My other hand can tap my smartphone monitor to select a subject or command a rack, and then return to grip the side handle to continue aiding my stability and weight distribution.

Or I'm away from the camera managing another lock-off and I can check in remotely and change the subject of focus. Or I'm hoisting the camera on a monopod above the crowd and can do the same. I find the Tap to initiate focus tracking (especially remotely) extraordinarily useful.

But I agree that if you're bracing your camera against your body and looking through an EVF, then a touchscreen focus control will not help you.
                            What percentage of the time are you wanting the camera to track randomly moving objects that are not human faces? Like what?? Would you really use object tracking if the FX6 offered it? Serious questions, not trying to argue about it. Everyone's needs are different and I'm curious how (and how often) you'd really use such a mode if the FX6 had it.
                            Last edited by Doug Jensen; 09-02-2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Wedding b-roll - all the time. Sliding across or towards the dress. For the wide, you want the focus to stay on the dress. For a detail, you may want it to stay on the hem. But your composition is changing. Or you're spiraling ('inception') in on the bouquet or the invitation and you want the focus to stay on a particular flower or word as you move

It's mainly about camera movement instead of subject movement

Objects that are themselves in motion? Less often. But definitely the ring on someone's finger,the bouquet being held by the bride, someone's shoes as they walk. The back of someone's head as they walk away from me. If I'm circling them, then their face wont be pointed towards me the whole time

But also, if the frame is full of faces, and the subject is dancing and turning around, I can get better results by tracking their blouse or hair instead of face

and tapping is really great for tracking a subject and then racking to a different one which you then track

Also just letting your subject cross the frame. Thet start out on the right side and gradually move to the left. Maybe face tracking can handle it but you might have to select the specific fsce
                              Last edited by ahalpert; 09-02-2021, 08:22 PM.
                              www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

It's mainly about camera movement instead of subject movement
                                GREAT answer. Yeah I get it now. I absolutely see the value of object tracking when the camera itself is in motion. The FX6 doesn't have a good mode for your examples. 99% of what I shoot with AF is from a stationary tripod, so I totally overllooked scenarios where the camera is in motion and the subject is not human faces. Usually if I'm shooting handheld a face is the main subject almost 100% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X